Running Cable Question

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have a pretty typical setup with my equipment rack on the side wall and the speakers and amps on the front wall. I run a pair of 8 meter balanced audioquest water interconnects. Since the equipment rack is on the right side wall the distance to the right amp is only 3-4 meters. So, I have a lot of extra cable.

How should the cable be run? Right now I have and extra cable in a circular loop on cable elevators behind the amp. I think there are 3-4 loops.

Should I be doing something different? I bought equal lengths because I was always “told” to do so.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
With good balanced interconnect cables (Shielded Twisted Pair) you can do whatever you want, it won't matter. But I don't know about Audioquest cables.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I performed a lot of computer simulations of my own cable designs and some standard stuff, like Monster to see what is optimum for sound quality.

The results show that in either case, analog interconnects should be as short as possible and speaker cables can be longer. Because of the currents and low impedance that speaker cables see, they are less critical. I have compared my own 6 foot speaker cables to 10-footers and can detect no difference.

If you do run long interconnects, it is critically important that they have low capacitance per unit length, even balanced. I run balanced myself.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing