Brand Loyalty: Can one be too loyal?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't think it's dumb if you are trying out new gear and have a decent return or tryout process from the dealer. You are hearing the quality of sound from the pairing/synergy with existing gear.

If you are saying, don't spend the money by "gambling" on new gear that you may or may not like then I agree with you.

But there may be an upgrade path where you get better and better gear as your income grows and you want to reacher higher levels of performance.

All fair points, Lee.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, I give them a shot in other people's systems, and often enjoy them. But why should I make my own system an expensive laboratory? That's just dumb.

Perhaps it your vision of this hobby. But IMHO the high-end is intrinsically evolutionary, independently of expense.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, I give them a shot in other people's systems, and often enjoy them. But why should I make my own system an expensive laboratory? That's just dumb.

Al, you did borrow your amp from a dealer to give it a shot in your own system. Other gear you have bought without hearing beforehand in friends' systems, like the switch to your first Ref 3A speakers, your cables, and your subs, if I am not mistaken. These have been risks, but calculated. You are lucky to have avoided turning your system into an expensive laboratory, in that sense. Your new Ref 3A speakers were an example of brand loyalty, regardless of whether or not you could have returned them. You liked the previous pair you had and based on that experience, you traded up with a some degree of confidence and expectations.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, you did borrow your amp from a dealer to give it a shot in your own system. Other gear you have bought without hearing beforehand in friends' systems, like the switch to your first Ref 3A speakers, your cables, and your subs, if I am not mistaken. These have been risks, but calculated. You are lucky to have avoided turning your system into an expensive laboratory, in that sense. Your new Ref 3A speakers were an example of brand loyalty, regardless of whether or not you could have returned them. You liked the previous pair you had and based on that experience, you traded up with a some degree of confidence and expectations.

Peter, the cables I heard in my system (as well as Ian's) before purchasing; you have a point about the first Ref 3A speakers and the subs. As I mention in my review of those speakers, I took the risk because they were not very expensive. The subs were less of a risk, but in both cases, yes there was a calculated risk, and you are right that in this sense I got lucky to have avoided turning my system into an expensive laboratory.

I conceded that Lee also made some good points above.

In any case, it helps to know what your priorities are in sound reproduction, so that you are not aimlessly torn in all kinds of directions whenever you hear something new.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
While I don't subscribe to churning of one's audio equipment based on reviews or hearsay, I am also not a believer of undying loyalty to any purchase/brand, audio or otherwise, in an attempt to legitimize and/or rationalize that purchase as the "best there is" as so many do here and elsewhere.

De Niro, a one time favorite of mine, until he got too full of himself had a line in the movie Heat:

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat..........”.

To be honest, I think that is pretty good advice, regarding most purchases

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
While I don't subscribe to churning of one's audio equipment based on reviews or hearsay, I am also not a believer of undying loyalty to any purchase/brand, audio or otherwise, in an attempt to legitimize and/or rationalize that purchase as the "best there is" as so many do here and elsewhere.

De Niro, a one time favorite of mine, until he got too full of himself had a line in the movie Heat:

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat..........”.

I love that movie and the quote. And I agree it applies to audio in some ways.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Forget about walking out on a system in 30s flat, some people don’t seem to hang onto ANY component for more than 30s before trading up. Multiple times.
Dacs especially.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

It's a great line. ...Great flick.

I also like Ronin, where De Niro is cautious before entering the bar, @ the beginning.

Sam: "Lady, I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of."

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I was struck by this comment made in another thread in response to my admission to having Pass Labs gear in my system ever since I got back into the hobby in 1993. Surely others have had one or more brands in their system for a long time. Rather than take that other thread off topic, I would like to start a new thread to discuss brand loyalty.

I have now had an SME/Pass/Magico based system for about seven years. We all know of audiophiles who have multiple copies of the same tonearm or who have upgraded many different models from the same speaker manufacturer. Some brands now seem to depend on repeat customers with some cartridge manufactures, for instance, offering generous trade in policies for upgrades.

What does "too loyal to all your brands" mean?
...and back to the topic...We have lost our way here....

Tom

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I think you can be too brand loyal if the quality decreases for whatever reason, and you continue to use it, and rationalize it. Other than that, my philosophy is if it made me happy in the past then I will keep on buying.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Nothing wrong with liking "house sound".

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Agreed. And there is nothing wrong with disliking a "house sound" either. That's why people gravitate to brands in the first place, along with reputation for quality, service and availability, and perception of value. Successful brands are just that because they have a following of happy customers.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

+1!

As Nelson Pass wrote in the manuals of his amplifiers: " Our real customers care most about the experience they get when they sit down to listen to their music. We create amplifiers that we like to listen to, on the assumption that we share similar taste."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing