Any Lamm ML 2.2 owners with non Lamm pre?

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I may have a chance to buy a used pair of Lamm ML 2.2 from a friend. Years ago I had the Lamm ML1 amp and thought they were great with good reliability other than having to change the big tube sockets once before I moved to a different amp. I still have have my Tron Syren preamp that I would use with the Lamm.

My question does anyone have experience using the ML 2.2 with a non Lamm preamp. I know some will say to get the most from the Lamm's it is best to go with their pre. Any thoughts?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I may have a chance to buy a used pair of Lamm ML 2.2 from a friend. Years ago I had the Lamm ML1 amp and thought they were great with good reliability other than having to change the big tube sockets once before I moved to a different amp. I still have have my Tron Syren preamp that I would use with the Lamm.

My question does anyone have experience using the ML 2.2 with a non Lamm preamp. I know some will say to get the most from the Lamm's it is best to go with their pre. Any thoughts?

Buy it Paul! The amp will work great with other preamps until you find a Lamm one.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I can report a similar situation - I used the Lamm M1.2ref with a cj GAT2 and ARC anniversary Ref 40, but I preferred the complete Lamm system when I got the L2ref preamplifier - a more seamless system. But in some peculiar aspects the alternative could be preferable - the ARC had more drive and more extended bass, but not slam, and the GAT2 had more refinement and air. Comments based on listening with the DCS Vivaldi DAC.

As far as I remember, one of our members, Tima, a reviewer of Theaudiobeat, uses the M1.2ref with an ARC REF10.

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I can report a similar situation - I used the Lamm M1.2ref with a cj GAT2 and ARC anniversary Ref 40, but I preferred the complete Lamm system when I got the L2ref preamplifier - a more seamless system. But in some peculiar aspects the alternative could be preferable - the ARC had more drive and more extended bass, but not slam, and the GAT2 had more refinement and air. Comments based on listening with the DCS Vivaldi DAC.

As far as I remember, one of our members, Tima, a reviewer of Theaudiobeat, uses the M1.2ref with an ARC REF10.

..no remote would be a deal breaker for me...lower back issues

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
My Tron has a phono built in and the whole unit is bullet proof. It did work well with the ML 1, at least I thought it did. No remote and don't need one.

I think the ML 2.2 would give my speakers the extra drive they need when I want to listen to music other than three or four piece jazz stuff.

Smp

Sep 1, 2014
Perth, Western Australia
When I acquired my original ML2s I had a CAT Ultimate for some time and they were terrific together, but I moved on to a L2 Reference and the synergy was just that much better. Have retained the L2R through upgrades to ML2.2s and recently ML 3 Sigs.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I will wait and see when my friend is ready to sell them. He tells me these thing then may have a change of heart, but he is a newlywed so getting rid of too much gear may have been part his pre nuptial agreement:rolleyes:

When I had my ML 1 amps. I changed the tubes twice and the big tube sockets once. Anyone have the same issue with cooked tube sockets for the 6C33 tubes. The last time I changed the tubes my tech who did the work for the first tube sockets said if you're keeping the amp he recommended new sockets again. What is the history here with those. As far as that I had no problems with the Lamm amps.

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Running a Tom Evans Vibe Pre on my ML 2.1's ...the noise floor is very low thus detail is revealed accordingly. It sounds pretty good too but have yet to try a Lamm pre...perhaps one of these days.

I have had the 2.1's for 7 years now and no issues other than normal tube replacement and a 6C33C tube that was not powering up properly. A call to Vladimir prompted a mini expedition into the great depths. I was told that occasionally the "fingers" that grasp each pin when the tube is inserted into the socket can become misaligned. Sure enough, poor contact on one had been the problem and some very gentle persuasion coerced the fingers back into position to do their job. So now I open them up from time to time to do a little housecleaning (DeOxit) on the sockets and check alignment. With that I have seen no need to replace any of the sockets.

They are most definitely a special set of gear....

Brock

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Running a Tom Evans Vibe Pre on my ML 2.1's ...the noise floor is very low thus detail is revealed accordingly. It sounds pretty good too but have yet to try a Lamm pre...perhaps one of these days.

I have had the 2.1's for 7 years now and no issues other than normal tube replacement and a 6C33C tube that was not powering up properly. A call to Vladimir prompted a mini expedition into the great depths. I was told that occasionally the "fingers" that grasp each pin when the tube is inserted into the socket can become misaligned. Sure enough, poor contact on one had been the problem and some very gentle persuasion coerced the fingers back into position to do their job. So now I open them up from time to time to do a little housecleaning (DeOxit) on the sockets and check alignment. With that I have seen no need to replace any of the sockets.

They are most definitely a special set of gear....

Brock

Brock that is an interesting bit of info. I’ve owned Lamm gear for at least 12-13 years starting with the ML 2.1 and have never had a problem with any of those socket pins

His gear is built like a tank and IMHO and in my system his gear are lifers.

I also started without a Lamm preamp but now there is just no other way. They are a marriage made in heaven

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Brock that is an interesting bit of info. I’ve owned Lamm gear for at least 12-13 years starting with the ML 2.1 and have never had a problem with any of those socket pins

His gear is built like a tank and IMHO and in my system his gear are lifers.

I also started without a Lamm preamp but now there is just no other way. They are a marriage made in heaven

Steve, I agree on the construction and the sturdiness of the sockets. It doesn't seem likely that they would fail to the point of needing replacement. I purchased my amps used and the problem surfaced fairly soon after that. The dealer I procured the amps from prompted me to call Lamm Industries as she was afraid that I was going to need to ship the pair back to Lamm for evaluation and repair. If I recall correctly, I talked to Elina who gave me the hot tip to check the socket contact fingers. She said that they can be bent out of shape if someone tries to install the 6C33C's at an odd angle and force the issue. I did note that when I pulled the tubes that they didn't slide out all that smoothly and that since I began occasionally treating them with DeOxit they now slide in and out very easily.

I don't want to hijack this thread so at some point will start another to pick your brain on which Lamm pre mates up the best with the ML2.1's... ;)

Brock

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing