Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD Hardware Upgrade for 5-Series Products

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Has anyone here had the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD Hardware Upgrade for 5-Series Products? Or have heard the results of this upgrade?
Cheers Stump

Upgrade

This hardware upgrade replaces most of the clock generator circuitry on the digital board of the MPS-5 and MPD-5 products with new technology that offers much improved clock jitter performance. When combined with a software upgrade to version 027 or newer it will offer dramatic improvements in sonic performance, sound stage accuracy, and bass and high frequency consistency.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Has anyone here had the Playback Designs MPS-5 SACD Hardware Upgrade for 5-Series Products? Or have heard the results of this upgrade?
Cheers Stump

Upgrade

This hardware upgrade replaces most of the clock generator circuitry on the digital board of the MPS-5 and MPD-5 products with new technology that offers much improved clock jitter performance. When combined with a software upgrade to version 027 or newer it will offer dramatic improvements in sonic performance, sound stage accuracy, and bass and high frequency consistency.

I did mine last year

Steve Williams

Like you I saw the upgrade on their website. I called Andreas who I have known for years. He discussed the benefits of the new clock and I had him do the upgrade and got the unit back a few days later. For my ears it was a modest upgrade that made a general improvement to the sound. I felt it was better to have a new generation clock rather than one that was 15 years old

Thanks Steve for your feedback..
Cheers Stump

Hi Stump,

I did mine last year too like Steve Williams. I would like to share also with you, Stump, and with all those concerned about the results of this upgrade in my system.

First, i always trust Andreas Koch for his professionalism and experience. All the changes he announces about these upgrades including USB XIII are true when i listen. The improvement is real and always better.

Regarding the hardware upgrade with the new generation clock, i confirm a lower noise floor, a higher definition, a best high frequency, a wider and deeper soundstage with better defined and control bass. The sound image is much more accurate. We can locate musicians in space with more precision and get a more holographic sound image in 3D with all the details of the source. All this is possible because of the performance of the new clock combined with a software upgrade to version 030, the new algorithm will offer best improvements in sonic performance.
I say that i heard a "great improvement" on all levels after this upgrade. I discover my MPS-5 as a completely different device updated the latest technologies.Oh Yes ! Andreas Koch allows Classic series (MPS, MPD) to achieve the same level of technologie and performance of the clock generator circuitry as the latest "Dreams" serie. Isn't it great ?

Don't hesitate to take this chance if you have a MPS-5. Take this opportunity to make your chance and good listening. You will not regret.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Hi Stump,

I did mine last year too like Steve Williams. I would like to share also with you, Stump, and with all those concerned about the results of this upgrade in my system.

First, i always trust Andreas Koch for his professionalism and experience. All the changes he announces about these upgrades including USB XIII are true when i listen. The improvement is real and always better.

Regarding the hardware upgrade with the new generation clock, i confirm a lower noise floor, a higher definition, a best high frequency, a wider and deeper soundstage with better defined and control bass. The sound image is much more accurate. We can locate musicians in space with more precision and get a more holographic sound image in 3D with all the details of the source. All this is possible because of the performance of the new clock combined with a software upgrade to version 030, the new algorithm will offer best improvements in sonic performance.
I say that i heard a "great improvement" on all levels after this upgrade. I discover my MPS-5 as a completely different device updated the latest technologies.Oh Yes ! Andreas Koch allows Classic series (MPS, MPD) to achieve the same level of technologie and performance of the clock generator circuitry as the latest "Dreams" serie. Isn't it great ?

Don't hesitate to take this chance if you have a MPS-5. Take this opportunity to make your chance and good listening. You will not regret.

Thanks Rico
That is a very impressive result to the hardware upgrade.I was looking at buying a used Playback Designs MPS-5 and through the Australian dealer have the upgrades done .I have since realized there may not be as big a player upgrade sound wise as I expected and will make do with what I have at the moment.In the future I would look at a used Esoteric KO1X to see out my days of SACD playing. As with most my equipment you enjoy the listening experience that your use too.Thanks again for your input.
Stump

Steve Williams

Hi Stump,

Plus it wasn't an expensive upgrade

Stump

Jul 15, 2012

The used one I was considering was $5000 and hardware upgrade including upgrade drive gears would have been $3300Au .In my research 3 sold players in Australia had there transports replaced.Also one on audiogon at the moment has had the drive replaced.Given the drives are no longer supplied to PD that would be a future problem when they fail again....
Stump

Hi Steve,

I'm agree with you. It's a bargain.

So, i remain very satisfied with my PD MPS-5 upgraded. This hardware upgrade has transcended the sound quality of my system while keeping its character neutral. The "Neutrality" in hi-end is very important for me and is the goal to achieve. It's difficult to do. It's a challenge for me. I try to fight any form of "coloration" namely : acoustic coloration (of sound due to room gain) and musical coloration : the system changes the original sound recording by playing.
I want to be able to hear very clearly the differences between several sound recording in order to appreciate the work of the engineer of sound in various hall acoustics captured.
I think i achieved this goal when i listen to cds or dsd files in my system, espacially with the quad dsd (dsd256) and with the PD upgraded. I chose to buy a Playback Designs MPS-5 for its softness, its neutrality and analog side. He plays the sound close to the master tape. I love it for all this !

Best regards
Rico

Last edited:

jh901

Jun 22, 2018
PITTSBURGH
I did mine last year

When was the new clock generator hardware initially released? Is it a further development of the "Frequency Arrival System", which I think uses MEMS oscillators as opposed to crystal?

Which firmware version are each of you on? There's much more info all over the web detailing PS Audio updates from one version to another. Hoping I might find info on the progression from early on up until now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing