Cambridge DacMagic Plus + Edifier 1280db

TeeJay

May 20, 2018
Hi guys,

I come to you as a newbie with a simple inquiry. I want to upgrade my audio system for my desktop PC as I would like to use it along with my PS4 Pro with the main idea of being capable of controling speakers volume from both inputs through only one amplifier. This is why I´ve made up my mind about purchasing the Cambridge DacMagic Plus device, knowing it would allow me to control speakers volume due to being a preout amp. I made my research and I noticed there are my dacs out there in the market but they are almost all lineout, and I read that the volume knob of those lineout dacs only control the volume for headphones, not speakers which would not serve my needs. Therefore, I started looking for a pair of decent speakers that would match with the dac I chose and suddently I bumped into the Edifier 1280db which I loved very much.

The only concern I have with these speakers is that thay are also preout, so they have a knob for volume control. Forgive my ignorance, but that´s when it came to my head that maybe the audio signal could be preamplified twice (first in the dac and then within the speakers) resulting in a not very good sound experience.

I need your advice to enlight me because I know very little when it comes to audio stuff. Would it be a perfect match the Cambridge DacMagic Plus with the Edifier 1280db with regards to my question?

I appreciate your help very much in advance. Thanks a lot & regards!

TJ

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The Dacmagic Plus volume control only applies to the analog outs.

If you use digital out to your speakers then you control the volume via the speakers.

The Edifier powered monitors you mentioned have analog in, coax in and optical in at least according to the photos on Amazon.

Use coax or optical in at the speakers to control the volume at the speakers.

Use analog in at the speakers to control the volume from the DacMagic.

So, you won't affect sound quality by "double pre-amping" by selecting the type of connection you want and where you want to control the volume..

I have a DacMagic Plus and the reason I use it is that it has digital pass through - I can use it for both my desktop headphone system and and my speaker rig across the room.

It is a very flexible device and works well for me.

If you haven't found it already, the FAQ support pages at Cambridge Audio discuss your specific issue.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/categories/200113531-DACMAGIC-PLUS

TeeJay

May 20, 2018
Thanks a lot WLVCA for your reply! Very clear and concise. Your answer was what I was looking for. Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing