[DAC] dCS Paganini OR Debussy

waimac

Aug 7, 2016
Hong kong
Hi,

I am a current owner of a dCS Paganini DAC with Network Bridge, I am thinking of should I go for the dCS Debussy or keep the Paganini DAC till I got the budget for either Rossini or even Vivaldi DAC (But it may be just a dream at this moment)? Any comment? Thanks.

My system is as follow:

Source: Macmini (Roon Core) + Synology NAS
DAC: dCS Paganini DAC + Network Bridge
Pre-AMP: Nagra Jazz
AMP: Nagra VPAs
Speaker: Magico S3

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nascimento

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi,

I am a current owner of a dCS Paganini DAC with Network Bridge, I am thinking of should I go for the dCS Debussy or keep the Paganini DAC till I got the budget for either Rossini or even Vivaldi DAC (But it may be just a dream at this moment)? Any comment? Thanks.

My system is as follow:

Source: Macmini (Roon Core) + Synology NAS
DAC: dCS Paganini DAC + Network Bridge
Pre-AMP: Nagra Jazz
AMP: Nagra VPAs
Speaker: Magico S3

Thanks.

Hi, I don't think moving the the Debussy is a step ahead for you. A used Scarlatti DAC is a very very good buy - something to consider. Also you may find adding the Paganini upsampler and possibly a clock is another beneficial route. Good luck !

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
The Paganini (my previous dac) is better then the Debussy IMHO. I did a whole lot of comparison when I was looking for a dac upgrade(Scarlatti, EmmLabs dac2, total dac and even aries cerat), and finally settled with a lampizator golden gate.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I recently changed my Paganini dac for a Scarlatti dac and I endorse Jfrech's recommendation to go for that option to add your network bridge .
The Scarlatti dac is a big step up from a Pagannini and a far better buy than a Debussy or a Rossini.

waimac

Aug 7, 2016
Hong kong
Thanks All. I am sure I will stay with my Paganini at this moment unless I find a decent Scarlatti or once got enough budget for the Rossini or even Vivaldi. Thanks.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Debussy, Paganini and Scarlatti DACs are identical inside. They use IDENTICAL boards.

- Paganini DAC adds a firewire interface (for the dCS transport) and a display, but looses USB.
- Scarlatti DAC adds a firewire interface (for the dCS transport), a display and a second transformer inside (which makes it sound slightly better). Also looses USB input for firewire.

Rossini and Vivaldi are completely different, new designs. Something to consider during spending your money upgrading.

(ex. Puccini and Scarlatti owner here)

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The Paganini (my previous dac) is better then the Debussy IMHO. I did a whole lot of comparison when I was looking for a dac upgrade(Scarlatti, EmmLabs dac2, total dac and even aries cerat), and finally settled with a lampizator golden gate.

Did the same. I have moved form Scarlatti via MSB and Trinity to finally settle on the Golden Gate. I'm a happy camper now.

debussy

Aug 3, 2018
Debussy is my favorite composer since I've red the book Clair de Lune by Pierre la Mure - a brilliant biography of Debussy, which I recommend to everyone. My favorite composition is Reverie, because it's the best proof, as if it was needed, that Claude Debussy was the master of creating dream-like atmospheres in his piano music. I think you cannot compare Debussy with any other composer.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
After four years of delay, I still have a question!
An opportunity came up to buy a Paganini DAC set with DCS Bridge, the price is good, but is it still a good buy?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
After four years of delay, I still have a question!
An opportunity came up to buy a Paganini DAC set with DCS Bridge, the price is good, but is it still a good buy?

I think it depends on the price. What is the price being offered? I am wondering if a Bartok maybe better. The Paganini was excellent at the time ...the dCS bridge definitely modernizes it for file based playback...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I think it depends on the price. What is the price being offered? I am wondering if a Bartok maybe better. The Paganini was excellent at the time ...the dCS bridge definitely modernizes it for file based playback...
I had a Paganini DAC before upgradng to the Scarlatti and it was good, though obviously the Scarlatti is a lot better, but more expensive.
Used Paganinis are not expensive and if you find a well looked after one at a good price I am sure it would be a good buy.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
My idea is to abandon the CD player and just listen to Vinyl and streaming, my doubt is, is the Paganini DAC enough to play a DCS Bridge or is it already too outdated even for this function?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing