Recommendation for Speaker + Amplifier - Up to $50k total for both

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Nice problem to have...50k...go with something pre owned at 50% RRP...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I almost sold one of my properties in Amsterdam, i could buy 2 sets of Ironman prepower OR lamm ml3 pre power but no , probably a bit better then i have now, but i dont expect miracles.
I d rather buy a nice house in SA near the Krugerpark , OR on the cape

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Oddly enough , my 22 year old daughter wants to immigrate to go live in Amsterdam .. She was there in December, her fiancees brother lives there

I have a nice house in the Western Cape , on the border of a nature reserve , a few Km from the winelands , overlooking table mountain , 11 rooms including a 48sq m dedicated music room and neighbours that dont complain no matter how loud

600k EU and you can have my System and I'll throw in the house and furnishings and a supercharged Jaguar FOR FREE!!!!.. Let me know if you are interested... lol

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Oddly enough , my 22 year old daughter wants to immigrate to go live in Amsterdam .. She was there in December, her fiancees brother lives there

I have a nice house in the Western Cape , on the border of a nature reserve , a few Km from the winelands , overlooking table mountain , 11 rooms including a 48sq m dedicated music room and neighbours that dont complain no matter how loud

600k EU and you can have my System and I'll throw in the house and furnishings and a supercharged Jaguar FOR FREE!!!!.. Let me know if you are interested... lol

Selling to move to Clifton then....:rolleyes::p

sheppard

May 18, 2016
Northern California
KR V900 monos ~16k 160wpc KT120 amp autobias allows direct drop in of KT150, runs relatively cool at Class A/B at least compared to its giant triode brothers
KR P135 45 tube preamp ~7k
Endeavor E3 Mk2s are great for Alternative and Classic Rock. They aren't fazed by stacks of guitar amps on set. ~12k

Lots left over in the budget :)

This has basically been my bedroom system for two years and going except I use E3 Mk1s. Serves me well with get up and go music in the morning and relaxing music at night. Bases covered. Cables I've used are Audience Au24 and Au24 SX and Master Built Signature. Source is an Aurender W20 and TechDAS D7i DAC which will be replaced when my Da Vinci comes back from upgrade to Da Vinci Dual Mk2.

Alternative electronics that I had success with are my Aesthetix Calypso Eclipse and Atlas Signature Stereo. Warmer and fuller sounding, less bloom and less open up top. Nice for folk, blues, 80's and 90's Rock. I like both combinations. I listen to alternative, hard bop or electronica in the morning and classical and jazz standards at night. The former reco covers more of what I listen to so they stay on the rotation most of the time.

Regarding the Aesthetix recommendation, the Atlas has an uncommon mix of attributes with the tube input stage and no negative feedback solid state output stage. I also like how they're in California for ease of servicing.

So, a cool-running, partially tubed, no negative feedback, American-made recommendation. You must be a really good dealer because you paid very close attention to the preferences I listed. :)

How would you compare Aesthetix's sound to Lamm's lower end SET combo?

Anatta

Apr 10, 2014
Speakers:
Magico A3 or S3 Mk2 (California based)
Wilson Benesch ACT One Evolution
Dynaudio Contour 60
Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 Mk2

Amplification:
Tube: something VTL (California based)
SS: something Pass (California based), Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated, T+A PA3100 HV integrated

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Haha , but what am i gonna do there ?
My house got sold by the way today prices are very good at the moment , made a good profit , a lot of people wanna live there especially inside the ring , older city
Im now in bangladesh for 2 weeks for work , not so nice .
I would wanna buy a farm in SA or africa may be in the future, farming is cool , outdoors and what not , audio is a done deal to for me thanks, not so interested anymore

Last edited:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
This is a fun exercise. Did you find something new that fit the bill?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
About one year ago, I had listened to Magico A5 driven by Octave v80 amplifier at dealer's showroom.

The source was DCS Bartok.

It was really musical.

The only missing thing was very deep bass.

But it was minor fault.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
For 50 K My speakerdesigns on static display , no amps / sources only a visual expirience

Second hand gear

Magico V3 , ARC pre amp with 160 M monoblocs .
Powercords Brennenstuhl (we skip on costs there)

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If i was starting again in high end audio for example ,...
(After a quick look checking second hand sites and asking prices .)

Second hand REF 160 M monos 15.800
REF 6 SE pre 11.800
REF CD 9 SE DAC 11.800
TOTAL 39.400
These were asking prices from the same seller so you might buy the whole lot for 34000.
Giving you Ref level amplification .
You can stop your magazine abbo which is merely hype anyway and enjoy music

Leaving 16 K for a nice set of second hand speakers or horns whatever
You can get a V3 for sure may be a Magico S5 mk 1 or a nice pair of Avalons / Kharmas whatever you want.
Leaving you with a good base for actually playing music in a medium sized room .
The rest is merely hype in high end audio or change for the sake of change

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing