Tidal Trouble

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Real artist musicians and singers and songwriters should get together and get their own royalty music service provider.

Indeed. I think that was the general idea behind Tidal, Jayzee the Beyonce and others. I think the idea in tat is always investment and the infrastructure required. And in the mix you have a large amount of creatives who may (will?) not always agree. Tidal is good I think. Agree we need more. I just hate the idea of Apple and Amazon controlling too much, artists need more say.... And Apple Music service thing, it is dire. Then iTunes music, oh my, don't start me on that.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I will miss Tidal. When it works about 10% of the time it's great, byt lately it can't even get thru a song let alone a set.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I will miss Tidal. When it works about 10% of the time it's great, byt lately it can't even get thru a song let alone a set.

Steve, there must be something wrong with your connection or whatever device that you are running Tidal on. I use it all day long and never have any dropouts. I would pretty much say it works 100% of the time.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Steve, there must be something wrong with your connection or whatever device that you are running Tidal on. I use it all day long and never have any dropouts. I would pretty much say it works 100% of the time.

Me to, 100% no problem. It may be the location of the recipient, the speed of the internet they have, and level of up sampling (if set), many reasons. But I find it is pretty much perfect. I have been listing to full CD quality and also MQA (part folded) inside Roon.:rolleyes:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Lets see. I have had exactly 1 issue with Tidal in the 18 months. That was about a week ago for about 20 minutes where it appears to have been down. I connect thru Roon without any issues.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I sure wish Pandora would step up its audio quality. IMHO nobody understands music's DNA like Pandora's proprietary algorithm. When you want to create a radio station, its one thing to put in a Fleetwood Mac or Stones song and one will be created that you will absolutely enjoy. But Pandora does this with really weird ass music; world music, trance, new age, classical, African Pygmies, you name it. Nobody else comes close. It's a shame that Pandora does not popularize this incredible strength compared to its competitors. I like Tidal and use it often but I generally tell it what to play whereas Pandora tells me what its playing after a mere suggestion. Spotify is in no man's land between the two and I could live without it.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I sure wish Pandora would step up its audio quality. IMHO nobody understands music's DNA like Pandora's proprietary algorithm. When you want to create a radio station, its one thing to put in a Fleetwood Mac or Stones song and one will be created that you will absolutely enjoy. But Pandora does this with really weird ass music; world music, trance, new age, classical, African Pygmies, you name it. Nobody else comes close. It's a shame that Pandora does not popularize this incredible strength compared to its competitors. I like Tidal and use it often but I generally tell it what to play whereas Pandora tells me what its playing after a mere suggestion. Spotify is in no man's land between the two and I could live without it.

+1

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I don't like that approach as much. I'd rather use Roon + Tidal, where I can be *offered* similar music, and then *I* get to choose which/what to play, in which order/way, and easily bookmark the stuff I end up liking...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Amen to that Marty.

Tom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

+1 too.
I have discovered so much new music just letting it rip, just wish it sounded better.
Although I have not tried the premium service that boasts better sound quality as, it was only available on mobil devices, which makes no sense at all. Has anyone tried the Premium service?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I run an ethernet cable to my laptop then a usb port to my hegel. The laptop is wireless but I hoped using a hard line would stop the drop outs. Comcast internet speed isn't a problem streaming on any other source.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing