Artnovion Myron E vs Vicoustic DC2 diffuser

eds60

Oct 17, 2017
I have 2 Vicoustic DC2 for almost 2 years. They work very well in my room. Recently I bought 4 Artnovion Myron E. Visoutic DC2 is a 14x14, 196 squares Skyline type diffuers. Artnovion Myron E is a 10x10, 100 squares diffusers. Myron E squares are bigger than DC2, the squares have more bevel edges. The material used in Myron E looks better than DC2, Myron E material is firmer.

I have two DC2 in the front wall, about 4ft above the ground. By comparison, DC2 highlight the high frequency. Seems like DC2 diffuse high frequency only. Putting Myron E in these positions, midrange is more full body. I feel Myron E diffuse a broader frequency than DC2. Soundstage seems much bigger with DC2. Myron E are powerful diffusers. Placing them in front wall, sound is not natural. It is not a good idea to put them in front wall.

Put both diffusers at the side wall for comparison, behind loudspeakers and 4ft above ground. The sound characteristic doesn't change. With Myron E on the side wall, highs are smoother, more midrange body and wider soundstage.

Placing two DC2 in front wall and two Myron E at side wall work the best in my room. I will put the other two Myron E at the backwall, 4ft above ground.

Attachments

• 20180505_002035.jpg
    20180505_002035.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 20180505_002132.jpg
    20180505_002132.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 20180515_235749.jpg
    20180515_235749.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 223

Joe P.

Sep 3, 2018
Great write up, thank you.

How would you describe the 'not natural' quality the Myron E has when on the front wall?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I'd gather that both brands of these Skyline diffusor options are 24"x24" squares?

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I bought eight (8) pieces of the Artnovion Myron E diffusors (in white) for my humble system (based on the KEF Wireless II), to be installed on the front wall, behind the speakers, to reduce reverberation in my smallish listening room. Delivery in a couple of days - fingers crossed they'll have a positive effect.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
QuadD, I was seriously considering those before going down a different path. Interested to hear your experience w them.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I bought eight (8) pieces of the Artnovion Myron E diffusors (in white) for my humble system (based on the KEF Wireless II), to be installed on the front wall, behind the speakers, to reduce reverberation in my smallish listening room. Delivery in a couple of days - fingers crossed they'll have a positive effect.
Hi, may I ask what your view is on these Myron E diffusors? I have my system placed on the attic and want to use them to form a "ceiling" in the top where the sloping walls meet. Absorption does work here als in makes the room dull. Thanks.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi All, apologies for the very belated reply. Having owned both the RPG Skyline and the Artnovion Myron E diffusors, it's important to understand that both are constructed of expanded polystyrene, or basically just another form of styrofoam, except that they are denser than the typical packing styrofoam. Hence the downside is that their acoustic properties include not being able to diffuse all of the purported frequency range as linearly as predicted, since there will be more selective absorption at certain higher frequencies than say for example, solid wood which absorbs very little energy, given its far higher density. Bottom line is that styrofoam, no matter how densely packed, is still a relatively lightweight material. How this ultimately translates into "sound", I'm guessing that pinging the material with a flicked finger will reveal its resonant frequency, and that particular frequency will be first absorbed, then released as a slightly delayed "ping", equal in frequency but diminished in amplitude. Bottom line is that their attributes in providing diffusion ought to outweigh its relatively small negatives. For my "ultimate" room acoustic design, I would prefer to use denser material for diffusors with the same physical dimensions - heavier and more costly, but a broader and more linear diffusion response, frequency-wise.

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Thanks QuadDiffuser. Your observations resonates with my experiments I have done in the meantime. I have the Artnovion Alp W as preferred diffusers on my list, in combination with their Lagos - W. Will share some experience when tested.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing