Serengeti driving sunglasses

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Ok let me tell you what's best......

These bloody sunglasses!

I've never owned properly designed driving sunglasses before, but i will never look back.
These things are bloody amazing!!

Edges are so sharp, colours so pleasing, i genuinely would not have believed things could look so much better.
Even in shady conditions you can see more clearly with them on.
And when you remove them everything looks bleached and washed out..

So like i do when i discover superlative kit
(Inov8 shoes, Helly Hansen jackets, Rab walking trousers, led lenser head torches, Bridgedale socks)
I'm buying these for my loved ones....although perhaps in different styles. I've got the Dantes myself

Possibly the best £150 ive spent this year

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yup, been using them for over 15 years

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Man the world just looks...better
It's like I've had an expensive upgrade. Reality Chrome

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
My wife has these. I have Maui Jim sunglasses. These are even better IME.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Years ago I used to purchase Serengeti's then moved onto to Maui Jim's. I have never looked back especially now that I can purchase their progressive bifocals even if they are a bit pricy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Years ago I used to purchase Serengeti's then moved onto to Maui Jim's. I have never looked back especially now that I can purchase their progressive bifocals even if they are a bit pricy.

Interesting thread

Jim

What do you prefer about Maui Jim over Serengeti

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is a serious WBF thread.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah, Maui Jim are also good, except that the titanium bridges keep breaking on me, so I gave up on them earlier in the year. And it just so happens they always break while on vacation, last time I was in Miami and had to pay through the roof to get new sunglasses. Ugh! The Serengeti are always in the car, never let me down.

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
I am (motor cycling) addict (20 years) to "Serengeti Driver" (now bi-focal) .... really the best ... in all road&time ...
... ride safe & often ...
Karel

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Interesting thread

Jim

What do you prefer about Maui Jim over Serengeti

Steve
The are very easy on the eyes. I like how they are a bit darker on the top and bottom and a slight bit more natural in the normal viewing area. They also have a slight mirror finish on the inside of the lens to prevent some reflective light from reaching the eyes. Colors seem very natural too.

There are a lot of frame styles to choose from. There after sale service is great too. Should you need a part, screw or new lens they handle it quickly.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Yeah, Maui Jim are also good, except that the titanium bridges keep breaking on me, so I gave up on them earlier in the year. And it just so happens they always break while on vacation, last time I was in Miami and had to pay through the roof to get new sunglasses. Ugh! The Serengeti are always in the car, never let me down.

My dad's a notorious killer of sunglasses. One pair per holiday. I discussed these with him yesterday and he reminded me of this.
Might end up getting socks for his birthday

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Maui Jim glasses are better at seeing the trout when flyfishing.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
30 years ago I has a Serengeti sunglasses that I wore for about five years. They were excellent. They lasted until my ex-wife wore them and left them on the passenger seat when she got out of the car to buy something and came back into the car and sat on them, cracking one lens and badly bending the frame. I replaced them with a pair of Nikon sunglasses that were better than the Serengeti and I used them for more than two decades until I stupidly forgot to remove from the sunglass holder in my previous car when I turned it in after the lease ended. I presently have a very good pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that have a very good wrap-around on the lenses which makes for superb peripheral vision.

I would say the Nikon and Maui Jim were optically equal quality from edge to edge, but the Maui Jim wrap around feature for better peripheral vision makes them the winner.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Serengetis are in fact nice as driving glasses. I interchange them with some original "Dirty Harry" Raybans that I found for $20 sheerly for coolosity.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
fwiw, owned by Luxottica now and the quality has fallen.

the original Oliver Peoples guys are at Barton Perreira now - excellent frames
Interesting...i remember Steve saying he liked Oliver Peoples...and having just gotten a pair, I really do like them. Even though Persol is also Luxxotica, I find the Oliver Peoples to be much more comfortable to wear, and for some reason super-easy to look out through...for some reason the Persol's always give me a headache after an hour or so.

Meanwhile, my favorite glasses are probably my wife's...not sunglasses but glasses...and those are Barton Perreira. Had no one idea the provenance...we bought them probably 10 years ago and have always really liked them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing