Carver Silver 7 Tube Mono Blocks

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Wondering if anyone in WBF owns, has owned, or heard the Carver Silver 700 tube mono blocks? I currently use the Carver Black Beauty 305 mb’s (six KT120’s per side). They drive my Magnepan 20.7’s without breaking a sweat and they sound pretty darn good. But, the Silver 7’s would more than double the available output power and I have to think that they would help push out the soundstage boundaries of the Maggie’s to even wider and deeper dimensions. I like a BIG sound! Does the old saying, ‘power corrupts’ apply to the Silver 7’s. Many times I have found that moving up a companies amplifier line to the higher power models tends to sacrifice some of the finesse and musicality of the lesser powerful units.

However, I’m not driving horns with my amps but a speaker that while not an extremely difficult load does like Power.

Thoughts and your experiences?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I have heard them, the Silver6's and the Silver9's on a couple of different systems. They are a highly acclaimed amp (for good reason) and have had staying power in the audio world since they were introduced. They respond well to tube rolling and are reliable with a sweet sound signature that few would IMO have any negative comments toward. Overall, they are simply a great sounding amplifier. Be prepared to crank up the A/C for longer listening sessions and open your wallet come tube swap out time. These are not cheap amps to own and operate.

Tom

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
Fortunately I live at high altitude in Colorado and most nights drop into the 50’s. And, I went to the effort in our new home to ‘zone’ our HVAC system which means I have a dedicated thermostat in my listening room so that I can independently control temperature.

Any thoughts on the idea that using the 7’s at at almost triple the power would make a notable improvement in the size of the sound field? My dedicated room is fairly large at almost 7,000 cu ft, 29’-10 L x 21’-7” w x 11’-1” h.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Well now, that depends on many factors including but not limited too what's up the chain, room, reflections, source, resolution of your system, recordings, etc.

I have heard both your amplifiers and the Silver7's on a system but to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention to just the size of the sound field. We were just having fun at an audio event with Bob, kicking back and trying different things on different systems. There is a vast difference between the two amps when pushed hard under a low ohm scenario. Where the 305's may run out of steam under such conditions, the Silver7's just keep on-a-truckin' without breaking a sweat. In your case, you don't have that hard of a load and you mentioned that your 305 doesn't break a sweat now, so I would just leave it be unless you feel you need the reserve power.

You also have to be aware that the planars may be compromised if cranked too loud with the available power of the 7's.

Of the two amps, I prefer the sound of the 7's but the 305's with the right tubes/setup can be the end game for many folks out there in audio land. It just depends on what you are looking for and if you would like to bring it to the next level while willing to accept the added cost to do so. I apologize for not being able to answer your specific question about the expanded sound stage/field but like I said, I wasn't paying attention to just that. We were all just having fun.

FWIW.

Tom

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Wondering if anyone in WBF owns, has owned, or heard the Carver Silver 700 tube mono blocks? I currently use the Carver Black Beauty 305 mb’s (six KT120’s per side). They drive my Magnepan 20.7’s without breaking a sweat and they sound pretty darn good. But, the Silver 7’s would more than double the available output power and I have to think that they would help push out the soundstage boundaries of the Maggie’s to even wider and deeper dimensions. I like a BIG sound! Does the old saying, ‘power corrupts’ apply to the Silver 7’s. Many times I have found that moving up a companies amplifier line to the higher power models tends to sacrifice some of the finesse and musicality of the lesser powerful units.

However, I’m not driving horns with my amps but a speaker that while not an extremely difficult load does like Power.

Thoughts and your experiences?

Please refer to my post. I think you’ll find it interesting.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?25848-Prototype-Bob-Carver-Silver-7

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing