My new BMW M2

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't understand how if the car isn't stolen, they can't find the person? It's a nicer car, seems like he'd have insurance but obviously had other reasons to flee.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't understand how if the car isn't stolen, they can't find the person? It's a nicer car, seems like he'd have insurance but obviously had other reasons to flee.

Perhaps the car was bought with cash and never insured or registered I don’t know what the laws are in California but around here we have lots of drivers who don’t have drivers licenses the cars are not registered and there’s no insurance.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

The registration was to a 93 year old woman - i'm sure its someone's grandmother or a borrowed car. Maybe the police report will show something.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I'm sorry to read about this Keith. Glad that you are OK. What infuriates me is that the other guy will likely go unpunished. Where are the witnesses taking cellphone videos capturing bad behavior when you really need them?

Road traffic accidents tend to occur out of the blue and are over before people have a chance to react. Cctv is more likely to catch something.
Plus i would suggest people filming citizens being throttled to death by police is 'capturing bad behaviour when it's really needed'.
By comparison a no- injury RTA is less significant, no lives were lost, just a beautiful car damaged

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
it's a gorgeous car. As long as you know it's only cosmetic, will be fixed right and you love the car...keep it for years and don't worry about deprec./trade-in value.

That's my intent, Christian - its absolutely a dream to drive. Best BMW made in a decade imo. I was planning on owning it 8-10 years

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Road traffic accidents tend to occur out of the blue and are over before people have a chance to react. Cctv is more likely to catch something.
Plus i would suggest people filming citizens being throttled to death by police is 'capturing bad behaviour when it's really needed'.
By comparison a no- injury RTA is less significant, no lives were lost, just a beautiful car damaged

Well, I was thinking that some bystander might have caught the driver fleeing the scene. I understand that that too may have happened in a flash, but I find it outrageous that a guy causes an accident, gets out and runs away and does not take responsibility for his actions. He did not even stop long enough to see if Keith was injured. It just infuriates me.

Do you really think fleeing the scene of an accident is OK? He/she/they had no idea lives weren't lost. To me, this whole episode is more than "just a beautiful car damaged". It is an example of what is wrong with people and the avoidance of personal responsibility.

I hope the moderators don't view my comments as overly political.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Fleeing the scene of an accident is certainly not ok. It is reprehensible, and no where did i say or imply this was ok.

But your previous comment was
'Where are the witnesses taking cellphone videos capturing bad behavior when you really need them?'

And since the citizen cellphone videos that create an impact are often of fellow citizens being physically harmed or killed by the authorities, i would argue that this is 'when they are really needed', ie when someone has been injured or even lost their life. So as beautiful a car as this is, i would take issue that compared to an assault or homicide 'this is where witnesses taking cellphone videos' are really needed.
Or put another way, those of us who have commented have all distinguished between the far more important health of Keith, the occupant, than the condition of his car.

So i understand that your statement was probably rhetorical, but would respectfully suggest that compared to the loss of a life this is merely an inconvenience

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have seen many citizen videos of bad behavior that did not involve police officers. People seem to be walking around America with phones ready to video tape anything from people yelling at children in a restaurant, to wives punching boyfriends at the mall. I'm just sorry one of these citizens did not have a phone ready to capture this guy fleeing the scene of an accident. Such a video might lead to an arrest which might get the guy off the street and prevent him from doing this again. And if he is a drug dealer, all the more reason to get him off the street so that he does not do more harm to the community. So my video comment was based on this not police assaults on innocent victims. A video that can lead to the apprehension of someone who fled from the scene of a crime is certainly more important than some of the stupid videos of cat fights and rude behavior that are so previlent.

My first concern is for Keith's health, and then for that of the other driver. Following those two, I would then be most concerned with catching the guy in the hopes that something similar, or another crime, does not happen again. The damage to the car, and the inconvenience of dealing with it all, comes after that.

I'm just surprised that more people are not criticizing the bad behavior. Are we becoming numb to this stuff?

Is there any culpability for the 93 year old person listed as owner of the vehicle? Perhaps she will lead the investigators to the driver. I'd be surprised if they can't track down the driver. Whether anything will happen to the driver is unclear.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
"I'm just surprised that more people are not criticizing the bad behavior. Are we becoming numb to this stuff?"

Isn't it just a given?

And since it's already against the law to cause an accident by dangerous driving, leave the scene of an accident, or use drugs while driving, or sell hard drugs, whats the point?
The law can just take its course without need of reform, or prodding, or outrage

Is there any culpability for the 93 year old person listed as owner of the vehicle? Perhaps she will lead the investigators to the driver. I'd be surprised if they can't track down the driver. Whether anything will happen to the driver is unclear.[/QUOTE]

You'd have to wonder whether a 93 year old can do much leading...

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Well, the police report landed and the insurance company finished their claim - filed under my uninsured motorist policy and hence there will not be a diminished value claim. I'm unsure if there is anything to do legally at this point.

Silver lining is I don't have a 1k deductible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing