Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Von Schweikert Audio / VAC

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Damon Von Schweikert and Leif Swanson, on behalf of Von Schweikert Audio, and Kevin Hayes, on behalf of VAC, partnered to put together another of my favorite systems at this show. The combination of the Von Schweikert Ultra 11 loudspeakers and the VAC 450 Statement iQ amplifiers have been garnering rave reviews every time this traveling audio show comes to town.

Burdened by a difficult room for such a large system the resulting sound nonetheless was one of my five favorites at the show.

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think it’s the Acoustic Signature Invictus flagship.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Damon Von Schweikert and Leif Swanson, on behalf of Von Schweikert Audio, and Kevin Hayes, on behalf of VAC, partnered to put together another of my favorite systems at this show. The combination of the Von Schweikert Ultra 11 loudspeakers and the VAC 450 Statement iQ amplifiers have been garnering rave reviews every time this traveling audio show comes to town.

Burdened by a difficult room for such a large system the resulting sound nonetheless was one of my five favorites at the show.

View attachment 41002

View attachment 41003

View attachment 41004

View attachment 41005

Went 4 times to this room trying to figure out the sound...it just sounded...wrong. If this is the sound that you are aspiring too then I can only say we are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Just across the hall was the Living Voice/Kondo...a sonic oasis and the best sound of the show and on another planet from "hifi".

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The sound on Thursday was "hifi", much better on Sunday!, it looked like, that they played around with 2 additional subwoofers to control the room resonances, such a set up takes some hours (days) to get tweaked in the right direction...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Juergen, in 2016 the Cessaro Gamma/TW room on Day One was worse than awful, bland beyond belief.
By the end of the show it had mainly redeemed itself.
I was astonished by the change.
I wonder if Brad gave the VS room another chance.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The sound on Thursday was "hifi", much better on Sunday!, it looked like, that they played around with 2 additional subwoofers to control the room resonances, such a set up takes some hours (days) to get tweaked in the right direction...

I didn't make it there on Sunday. I tried other three days and thought that should be enough.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Went 4 times to this room trying to figure out the sound...it just sounded...wrong. If this is the sound that you are aspiring too then I can only say we are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Just across the hall was the Living Voice/Kondo...a sonic oasis and the best sound of the show and on another planet from "hifi".

Can you elaborate any more? What was missing, or too much?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Can you elaborate any more? What was missing, or too much?

other than sounding a bit cold/analytical (despite an all tube chain) there was a weird psychoacoustic effect where recordings with voices were hovering in the middle where they ought to be but sounds on the left and right seemed stuck at the speakers, which made the voice sound isolated in the middle...like a voice enhancing DSP that pushes the music that would be normally behind and around the singer out of the way! Only way I can think to describe it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The VAC preamp might be as much to blame for that as anything. IMO it's a dud. If volume was increased that problem may have gone away?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why do you think that bro? I don't carry the product, in fact it runs smack against a couple that I do but I think it is excellent. I've directly compared them with the JPA-66 and VTL7.5 S2. I find it has the refinement of the EMT and the balls of the VTL. I am also puzzled at brad's observation. instruments stuck on these speakers given their radiation pattern only happens to me when either something really is panned hard right (easy to check with a Lamm, dual volume controls ;) ) or I'm concentrating on the drivers on one side. It hardly even happens when I'm in the couch at back and am pretty much on axis with one of the channels. Anyway, it is what it is. He was there and I wasn't.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Playing with one it became clear to me. Only newer hot music was sounding good, to start with. But the quality of sound varies greatly with how far the dial is up or down. It's most likely because they use a potentiometer. Electrically you can drive a potentiometer better so it's more transparent, but that's really hard to do with tubes, and they may not have any circuits they've developed that would really do it. I consider potentiometers dead weight, personally. Everything sounds better without them.

In contrast I've heard Spectral & MSB directly drive 450's, and that sounds good without huge changes in sound with volume. What's funny is that either VAC/VSA (I forget) mentioned they didn't driving direct :confused: I guess maybe if you just have the volume up a lot then the VAC pre adds some tube magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing