Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: NAT Magma New SE

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Surely this fear of the Magma GM100 tubes blowing (joking aside) is an urban legend?
The infamous Ken Kessler exploding Transmitters tube episode was an entirely self-inflicted problem, indeed Nat were pretty pi$$ed off as to how this unreasonably reflected on them.

Afaik NAT had some QC issues around the time they became really populair. This seemed limited to DOA or not fully correctly functioning units which needed to be returned. That alongside of lengthy delivery times gave them a bit of a bad rep in these parts of the world. Seems to be fully resolved now though, they continuously seem to improve both looks as build quality aswell. Attached photo is of a recently delivered transmitter.

5F6B571D-3B2E-4F1E-B4E1-F18022FBACAF.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Afaik NAT had some QC issues around the time they became really populair. This seemed limited to DOA or not fully correctly functioning units which needed to be returned. That alongside of lengthy delivery times gave them a bit of a bad rep in these parts of the world. Seems to be fully resolved now though, they continuously seem to improve both looks as build quality aswell. Attached photo is of a recently delivered transmitter.

View attachment 41076

Blast shield??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Afaik NAT had some QC issues around the time they became really populair. This seemed limited to DOA or not fully correctly functioning units which needed to be returned. That alongside of lengthy delivery times gave them a bit of a bad rep in these parts of the world. Seems to be fully resolved now though, they continuously seem to improve both looks as build quality aswell. Attached photo is of a recently delivered transmitter. (...)

It would be great if they could show pictures of the inside of more recent units showing the circuits and built quality - the existing pictures of perhaps older units immediately drove me away sometime ago.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One of the nicest dealers in Holland WenWaudio always said that,
His tubeloving expirienced clients ended either up with CAT OR NAT in the end.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One of the nicest dealers in Holland WenWaudio always said that,
His tubeloving expirienced clients ended either up with CAT OR NAT in the end.

Do you mean Nico fox?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Another dealer around here, which i try to persuade to give my speakers a go , says on ceramic speakers Cat is hard to beat
Vitus for solid state, he also agrees Cat power Amps are a bit noisy. Monos even more.
May be it would be An Idea for CAT to pot them.
Besides the mentioned he likes Jadis Octave Conrad johnson.
Jadis PA 100 he says is really quit.
Could be the balanced version they make SE too.
Could be that in general a se design is noisier , thats what i Read here and there

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Another dealer around here, which i try to persuade to give my speakers a go , says on ceramic speakers Cat is hard to beat
Vitus for solid state, he also agrees Cat power Amps are a bit noisy. Monos even more.
May be it would be An Idea for CAT to pot them.
Besides the mentioned he likes Jadis Octave Conrad johnson.
Jadis PA 100 he says is really quit.
Could be the balanced version they make SE too.
Could be that in general a se design is noisier , thats what i Read here and there

If I’m not mistaken, Bernd Bold has had custom transformers made for CAT amps which were fitted by Ken, much quieter on 50Hz.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He used to be the distributor for The Netherlands but is now retired. The dealer is w&w audio indeed. Delivery times are still quite long though.

Yes Nico helped establish the brand in the market and converted cat, lamm, and VTL users from what I understand. He himself owned the Siegfried before moving to Nat. I have been to his place.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can't make out from W&W's site what else he stocks? What speakers does he use the Nats on?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Oh okay i didn't know that.
Only downside of W en W i think he could definetively improve the listeningroom acoustically at least when i was there quit some time ago

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, I bow at the Nat altar every day. And am rewarded with rare musical insight.
A new guy here who is a seriously big player with a system and lp collection to die for has just signed up to the Nat cause, and it’s one of the few, if only, alternatives he likes to his seriously optimised regular tube amps.
By all accounts the high current of the Magmas drives his horns superbly well, providing a really intoxicating sound. Maybe not quite as delicate and subtle as his usual 46 tubes amps, but an exciting alternative perspective.
I don’t want to identify him since he’s a very private individual, he can chime in if he wants.
But for me, his approval of Magmas further reinforces the good feeling I have in choosing and sticking with the brand.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yep, I bow at the Nat altar every day. And am rewarded with rare musical insight.
A new guy here who is a seriously big player with a system and lp collection to die for has just signed up to the Nat cause, and it’s one of the few, if only, alternatives he likes to his seriously optimised regular tube amps.
By all accounts the high current of the Magmas drives his horns superbly well, providing a really intoxicating sound. Maybe not quite as delicate and subtle as his usual 46 tubes amps, but an exciting alternative perspective.
I don’t want to identify him since he’s a very private individual, he can chime in if he wants.
But for me, his approval of Magmas further reinforces the good feeling I have in choosing and sticking with the brand.

This is kind of like saying I don't want to give the individual away, but over the past 6 years he posted religiously about his Vic transfi linear tracker and TT, started the biggest grounding box thread inn the history of all forums, and has recently been on about an isolation platform. You might as well name someone if you are describing in such detail

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Heard the GM100 a few years back. Sound was horrendous and there was an overwhelming ozone smell, as those were apparently pushed at extreme B+ voltages. In comparison the NAT Magma looked and sounded almost domesticated, yet nowhere near as good as top quality DHTs are capable of sounding.

DSC_3368.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing