Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: NAT Magma New SE

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was happy to see finally in person the awesome NAT Magma New SE SET amplifier. As far as I know this amplifier, with an output of 170 watts from one GM-100 tube, is the highest power, single-tube SET amplifier available today.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
How did you like the sound in this room? It wasn't perfect but I thought overall it was quite good...quite alive and present. Perhaps a bit thin in the lower voices and occasionally a bit splashy but it was one of the few I could listen to and feel like I am hearing music rather than sonic effects. That NAT tube is just amazing to look at!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How did you like the sound in this room? It wasn't perfect but I thought overall it was quite good...quite alive and present. Perhaps a bit thin in the lower voices and occasionally a bit splashy but it was one of the few I could listen to and feel like I am hearing music rather than sonic effects. That NAT tube is just amazing to look at!!

I preferred more the kronzilla vivid g3 sound on the ground floor. The NAT was the best looking amp imo.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I loved the room, as mostly Andrej was the "DJ" and he knows some fancy stuff to play :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I can't help but thinking of an explosion when I see those amps lol

I agree. That is why they are a nonstarter for me.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

The rest of the system is unfamiliar to me too, so I did not take time to stay and listen. I think they do look absolutely amazing, and the new metal protective cage is a much better idea than a single front piece of glass.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The rest of the system is unfamiliar to me too, so I did not take time to stay and listen. I think they do look absolutely amazing, and the new metal protective cage is a much better idea than a single front piece of glass.

Hmm, isn't that the reason to go to Munich, to hear the unfamiliar and be surprised?? For example, there was a tiny booth on the ground floor that had Supravox speakers. I had heard of their drivers and heard them used in Cessaro, Lansche and some others but not their own speakers. Boy was I surprised!! Great sound (with new Line Magnetic 845 amp) and crazy low prices (I thought they missed a zero!!) Total surprise

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They look like something you'd get at a baby shower and have to throw away after a yard sale...

But I'd be interested to hear them. They could just be hidden amps. Surprisingly the price of the tubes isn't horrifying.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Unprotected GM100 amplifier from Electronluv - probably in the development stage. I looked at the GM100 specs - 306 watt just for heating the filament! I will never refer again to the 833 tube 100W filament power as excessive! :)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 208

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, probably my desert island power amp, already being a Nat aficionado.
I suspect I’ll have a pair one day, maybe when I’m upgrading my system in Hades LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Taiko, kudos for risking taking photos from above the Magma
1- the heat coming off them could easily have vaporised you
2- had they decided to blow at that point...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surely this fear of the Magma GM100 tubes blowing (joking aside) is an urban legend?
The infamous Ken Kessler exploding Transmitters tube episode was an entirely self-inflicted problem, indeed Nat were pretty pi$$ed off as to how this unreasonably reflected on them.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Surely this fear of the Magma GM100 tubes blowing (joking aside) is an urban legend?
The infamous Ken Kessler exploding Transmitters tube episode was an entirely self-inflicted problem, indeed Nat were pretty pi$$ed off as to how this unreasonably reflected on them.

What did Ken do to cause the explosion or was it simply not true?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
According to reliable reports, the amp and tubes were delivered in perfect working order.
In order for the amp to be moved from test bench to demo room, the tubes have to be removed.
It was during this procedure that the tube was critically damaged, and so the tube blowing went from “if” to “when”.
And so it came to pass, re the “incident”, and this being more remembered than a wholly positive review.
Had the tube been carefully removed and reinstalled, this would not have happened.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
According to reliable reports, the amp and tubes were delivered in perfect working order.
In order for the amp to be moved from test bench to demo room, the tubes have to be removed.
It was during this procedure that the tube was critically damaged, and so the tube blowing went from “if” to “when”.
And so it came to pass, re the “incident”, and this being more remembered than a wholly positive review.
Had the tube been carefully removed and reinstalled, this would not have happened.

Sounds more like it was put in incorrectly and the wrong voltages went to the wrong places...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s all I know. That review certainly has never helped Nat, w potential customers, including myself, saying “but I’ve heard they’re unreliable...”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing