Passive volume attenuator

rce

Jan 18, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Hi Tom.
Im new to this forum (my first post). I am currently trialing a good passive volume attenuator...the Yamaha YPC-1, originally had it paired with matching MX-D1. A very dynamic and powerful class D amp with a PWM design.
However, I have gone back to class A/B in the form of the rediculously well priced Emotiva XPA-2 for two channel listening and XPA-3 for surround.
What are your thoughts and experiances regarding passive volume control?
My current set sounds very transparent to my ears but I understand there may be an issue with loss of dynamics at both ends of the scale? I have kept my high quality interconnects to 1 metre in length and my source (oppo 83 SE with Nuforce edition and numerous other mods including AC bybees) seems to be outputting enough grunt...at least 2v.
I was going to invest in a hi-end preamp, but common sence tells me this simple solution has a lot of merit, not to mention cost savings?
Your thoughts and experiances will be most appreciated.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
You don't even need a high-tech meter if you have some self discipline, some ingenuity and can do some math. Make a chart of the output voltages and frequencies from your source. Keep track of the meter range setting. You might have to attenuate or amplify some frequencies, if keep track of every thing. It's more work and more chance of error but it's very doable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing