Munich High-End 2018 Ron Report: Absolare/Rockport

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_0152.JPG

Kerem Kucukaslan, the gracious and warm founder of Absolare, was showing his brand new Absolare Passion Hybrid Monoblock amplifier ($60,000).

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

The amplifier employs a tube input and solid-state output topology. The amp outputs 300 watts into 4 ohms, and 200 watts into 8 ohms.

The tube complement is 2 X 12AU7/ECC82 or E80CC). Absolare makes sure that every amplifier comes with select NOS tubes.

The Absolare Hybrid was driving the Rockport Technologies Lyra ($170,000). The vinyl front-end consists of the Kronos Pro turntable and power supply , and Black Beauty tonearm, and the cartridge was the ZYX UNIverse Premium (which I own myself). The phono stage was the Absolare Altius ($52,000), and the preamplifier was the Absolare Altius line stage ($50,000).

I have liked the sound of Absolare driving Rockport speakers every single time I have ever heard the combination. Here in a large room the Rockport Lyra, driven by the new Absolare hybrid amplifiers, sounded absolutely wonderful.

This system, which I consider to be close to state of the art sonically (able to be improved only by substituting the Arrakis for the Lyra -- of course the Lyra does not have the vertical height and grandeur of seven foot tall speakers). We often make this hobby complicated, but if you are a music lover and if you have the money to pay the premium for these components you will be thrilled. Absolare electronics on Rockport speakers is a relatively simple and relatively no fuss, no muss way to achieve sound that you’ll be happy with for the rest of your life.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I agree Ron, this was a splendid system.

I was sitting in there when "Christmas Song" on the Cantate Domino album (Oscar's Motet Choir) was playing and literally felt the hairs at the back of any neck stand up during the chorus, such was I was blown away by its beauty. Just about everything about the sound was perfect for me. This is a system that doesn't need to try hard to get your attention, it draws you in and seduces you with the most natural and emotionally engaging sound with dynamics to die for.

I mentioned the room to a few others and I think all were most impressed.

Guillaume

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a system that doesn't need to try hard to get your attention, it draws you in and seduces you with the most natural and emotionally engaging sound with dynamics to die for.

. . .

+1

beautifully put!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ron,

Did the Absolare Hybrid enter your "probable equipment" list?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
In pro audio, they have recently begun to use class D amps with a small signal tube like the 12AX7 or 12AU7. Having used a few of these pieces, I can tell you they sound like 'sh-t' ! The ability to add an small driver/signal tube to the mono block ala Absolare's design is simply trying to add a little 'flavor' away from the ss sound. At $60K a pair, it really is NOTHING special at all to add ( "Select") NOS 12AU7's...IOW...Big Deal!
Ron, if you bought those amps, IMHO you would be buying a ss amp with a kludge.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Then that Will probably sound as good as IT looks too.
Hmm zanden is going for a big power supply in this design?
Looks a bit like the CAT poweramps

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In pro audio, they have recently begun to use class D amps with a small signal tube like the 12AX7 or 12AU7. Having used a few of these pieces, I can tell you they sound like 'sh-t' ! The ability to add an small driver/signal tube to the mono block ala Absolare's design is simply trying to add a little 'flavor' away from the ss sound. At $60K a pair, it really is NOTHING special at all to add ( "Select") NOS 12AU7's...IOW...Big Deal!
Ron, if you bought those amps, IMHO you would be buying a ss amp with a kludge.

I can not understand your comment. The Ypsilon Hyperion just got rave reviews from two known reviewers, people in this forum have said great things about hybrids. If it was not for the high price I would consider to listen to it. I have owned a Pathos hybrid that sounded great - including the best treble I have ever listened in my SoundLab's.

IMHO hybrids are just one more way of building amplifiers - we should listen to them without prejudice of bias.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe it’s a topology where the bad ones are REALLY bad?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Then that Will probably sound as good as IT looks too.
Hmm zanden is going for a big power supply in this design?
Looks a bit like the CAT poweramps

apparently a 211 based push pull?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
May be its the best topology for some, best of both worlds why not.
Would love to give them a go , the zanden too by the way

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Exactly. Adding a small signal tube to the design is no guarantee that it will solve the ss hardness that so many of these designs show. The additional cost to add the tube(s) is also negligible.
If the ss design sounds great in the first place, why add a small signal tube? I think we all know the answer to that....micro??:rolleyes:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Not all solid state sounds hard dont agree with that i have a small 10 watter that sounds Sweet as a dodo.
Where IT lacks compared to the Cat is dynamic drive behind music.
Also 400 Watts solid state lacks dynamic drive compared to the cat for that matter.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Sorry to say, your comment is meaningless. The bad ones are really bad in any topology.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) If the ss design sounds great in the first place, why add a small signal tube? I think we all know the answer to that....micro??:rolleyes:

We have to understand that the high-end is a preference hobby. Surely in an hybrid the tube creates a sound that reflects the designer intentions. Some designers even have solid state input/drive and power tubes. The Lamm M1.2 has a fast IC bufffer, a tube for gain and MOSFET's at the output stage!

What sounds great to me perhaps does not sound great to others and vice-versa. BTW, IMHO old stereotypes about topology are not valid anymore.

The debate about hybrids is complex - and surely can not ignore a past of unreliable designs and the possibility that the user can ruin the sound of the equipment with a poor tube replacement.

Reactions: goodsource

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing