Hello from Connecticut

vrac

May 9, 2018
I'm Vito from Connecticut. Looking forward to posting and contributing to this wonderful forum. I really enjoy listening to my audio system
which includes Wilson Sasha speakers, Levinson 33H amps, ARC Ref 5SE preamp, JL Audio f212 subs, Playback Designs MPS-5 w/ DSD capability. I have owned the Levinson amps for 16 years. Never had an issue but realize that they should be serviced with new caps and other updates if I want to
keep them around. I already inquired about cost of updates but wanted some advise. I've been looking at other amp options such
as the Sim Moon 870A and Pass Labs 260.8 monos that work well with the other components. Just wanted some insight before I finalize my decision. Thanks in advance.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Greetings Vito,

May want to look into the Connecticut Audio Society - 35 years strong - meets every other month - next meeting first sat in June

Charles

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome, Vito! That sounds like a great system!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Vito, welcome.

This is a great place!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome Vito! Regarding your question about recapping, i remember doing this with an old second Gryphon antileon. According to the company who arranged for the recapping (formerly a Gryphon distributor many years ago), his view was that once the caps were redone, the amp if otherwise well made and in good shape could run another 10 years. The primary element of 'age' in the Antileon was the capacitors. I did end up doing it, and it sounded so good I ended up reselling it for more than I had paid for it, including the recapping, years later!

The 33H is a legendary amp for a reason. While I cannot speak very authoritatively about how it compares to modern day amps, if you really love the amp, re-capping is a relatively inexpensive way to go another 5-10 years with a great amp. From my limited experience listening to the 33Hs, one area where you might be curious to see how newer SOTA amps might differ is in treble, noise floor, refinement/nuance.

vrac

May 9, 2018
Thanks for all kind replies. I’ve decided to have my current amplifiers
recapped and updated. Honestly I could not part with the Levinson's for
what I was to offered towards a trade. But more importantly I love how
they sound with my setup. I’ll enjoy them even though if they weigh a ton
and get fairly warm! Happy listening !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for all kind replies. I’ve decided to have my current amplifiers
recapped and updated. Honestly I could not part with the Levinson's for
what I was to offered towards a trade. But more importantly I love how
they sound with my setup. I’ll enjoy them even though if they weigh a ton
and get fairly warm! Happy listening !

Congrats and best wishes!

vrac

May 9, 2018
I've installed 4 Centerstage II isolation footers under my Playback Designs MPS-5 about a week ago.
I do hear subtle improvements. Thank you Steve for your advice! Also I traded in my ARC Ref 5SE for
a Ref 6 preamp. With only 2 days break in I'm thrilled and looking forward to Ref 6 being fully broken in.
Just wanted to thank Anthony from Perrotta Consulting (Bethel CT) for his outstanding service.
Happy New Year to all!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing