Goldmund Mimesis DAC

hal1

May 9, 2018
Hi,

Does anyone know which DACS Goldmund used in the mimesis 12+ dac ?

Cheers.

hal1

May 9, 2018
Thanks,

I have a Goldmund Mimesis 12+ that I use for a long time: dynamic, great sound image, transparency, softness, fluidity and total lack of aggressiveness.

We often hear that older generations of high-end converters sound more "analog" compared to newer models equipped with sophisticated chips (like ESS or others). Converters for "music lovers" rather than "audiophiles". The kind of ready-made formula that does not mean much from my point of view.
But the current mode of resistor network DACs would tend to show that technological progress in the field of conversion chips does not necessarily translate into musical gain.
In my case, the reasons why I did not find it useful to replace the Mimesis are simple: I mainly listen to a repertoire that use a lot of instruments sometimes sound a little "green" (harpsichord, baroque violin , etc.) that does not support ultra-analytical renditions, a little unbalanced and therefore tiring in the long run.
Moreover, the added value of a change of DAC seems harmless compared to a change of speakers, amp or listening room.

Good listening.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting feedback Hal1...as a Zanden digital owner myself (which is also an older design, certainly by digital standards), i have some appreciation for how happy you are with your current digital. Enjoy.

hal1

May 9, 2018
I do wonder,Progress,but in which direction?
In 17 years, apart from an Orpheus and a dCS Elgar + I have never listened to a DAC that makes me want to change. And no recent DAC has succeeded, although I do not dispute the fact that some are of very high quality (for example a Bricasti listened to qlq months ago but in a system that I did not know at all). And as we know, the conversion chip is only one of the variables (power supply, output stages, etc.) of the equation. Not persuaded that equivalent level of implementation a recent Saber chip is musically "superior" to a PCM63K. But I admit that I have not done the test.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I hear you...i have been impressed with some of the latest digital, but not found anything i truly loved more than the Zanden, particularly have had several years to tweak it. Enjoy your Goldmund!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing