Elon Musk's new girlfriend ... Grimes

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
At least you tried. Listening on your laptop vs at home is a pretty big difference. Many tracks I have not liked on youtube, but loved at home.

Btw - first time I have ever seen a Grimes filmclip. Rather distracting to the music imo.

Cheers

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
First time I saw a Grimes film clip was from Elon Musk posting a YouTube video of her on Twitter, just recently...last week, May 7 ... this one: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...lfriend-Grimes&p=509470&viewfull=1#post509470

And I live on the west coast...Grimes is from Vancouver. Thanks to Elon for teaching me which artists are from my own neighborhood.

And yes I agree that YouTube music videos aren't the equal of good vinyls spinning on a quality analog rig @ home. That I give you that; you are audacious in your music album selection of Grimes - Visions, and I highly approve. ...Same goes for Elon Musk; life's too short to restrict ourselves with less than extreme limits.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I do like FKA Twigs better. She really is brilliant . I have most of her stuff.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
She looks and sounds fully loaded on coke.

She is actually a dancer and choreographer that worked with many uk artists before her singing career. She is very very fit and intense, so on coke, I doubt it.

Japanese Breakfast if you like a more twin peaks electronic tinge

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Not a negative, a smooth mover, and shaky @ times, visually and auditory. I know nothing about her, I give my straight impulse opinion from a simple tune on YouTube.
_____

Japanese Breakfast - Boyish? I know nothing about them either; it sounds surreal, from another dimension, a galaxy from a new young cosmos. Without having it on vinyl it's tough for me to make it out with assertive definition and experience. I can only go with YouTube, and it suffices to not go beyond what it offers me. That's my simple quick opinion, after listening to it/her.

We are in the electronica, loop, meditative cosmos zone here. It's great, Elon Musk's zone. :cool:

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Chromatics - Kill For Love album. this is what i am spinning now. superb Neil Young cover

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I really do love these threads - they are hilarious. sort of like the two old guys on the Muppets bitching amongst themselves on how bad everything new is. But, then comes the love of really bad jazz musak by artist that can't write a song to save themselves and lame cover versions done by good looking chicks.

lol. 100% agree. and the same people often get excited about audiophile lounge singers and "demo discs" :rolleyes:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
While I am not someone that's big on audiophile lounge singers, so far Grimes and Twigs are like donuts. They're flashy on the outside but are really just empty calories that you regret once you've tried to digest them. I certainly see some conflict with why so much of the most visually appealing, tend to lack so bad with the rest. Even Lady Gaga had that, where the music isn't special but the videos where great.

I just stumbled on this, and decided to grab an LP, hoping it doesn't have **** poor production quality.

Other newer stuff I just came across with the most modest effort

What drives me crazy about new music, isn't the music... It's that for every 100 albums that come out, if I like 10, maybe 5 of them don't sound like they were recorded with pillows over the microphones - on a really good day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing