Audio Research releases Its 40th Anniversary Preamp

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have owned many ARC pieces of equipment. Re preamps I had their Ref 2 Mk ll and then the Ref 3 before I went with my current Lamm LL1 Signature.

For those of you who ponied up for the new Ref 5 have a look at the new 40th Anniversary special preamp a 2 chassis component that will be in production for only one year

http://www.astound-me.com/ is the site to see a 360 degree view

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Drool! I've always liked Audio Research's wares; I want this one! I guess I'd better start saving my shekels...

Have you Canadians changed your currency since I've been there last? :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have owned many ARC pieces of equipment. Re preamps I had their Ref 2 Mk ll and then the Ref 3 before I went with my current Lamm LL1 Signature.

For those of you who ponied up for the new Ref 5 have a look at the new 40th Anniversary special preamp a 2 chassis component that will be in production for only one year

Man that's sexy looking and would love to hear that puppy in my system! Like to see what's under the hood too. Also sounds like they're trying what cj does with their ART/GAT limited production series :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sexy indeed. Specially on 360 degrees. I stopped at their SP-10 and PH3. My kids are going to college. I hope when they're done I can resume...lol.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rey's kids are still in elementary school. I wonder if he's getting itchy with his X-2s and 610s. Hehehehehe.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rey's kids are still in elementary school. I wonder if he's getting itchy with his X-2s and 610s. Hehehehehe.

Rey can get itchy with whatever he wants, without any limitations at all as to kids or kids' education or anything. LOL.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
topless

"...Like to see what's under the hood too."

Attachments

• anniversary_2..jpg
    anniversary_2..jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,466

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Interesting fact about this 40th Anniversary Preamp I just found out from an ARC dealer friend of mine. Believe it or not (he swears it's true) but Audio Research has to approve each and every sale of this unit to the buyer for whatever reasons :confused:

Didn't there used to be a time when "money talks and BS walks". In today's economic downturn I am amazed that ARC might disapprove of a sale not for monetary reasons but for unknown reasons.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I recall Ferrari developed a similar policy with the Testerossa. You had to be a current Ferrari owner. That's why I never got one.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well I guess the lack of a $100k might might have presented a slight impediment. Then there is the whole Ferrari lifestyle. I had my red sports car. A Mazda Rx-7 with twin rotary engines, twin turbo with extra oil cooler and R1 suspension package. A street legal race car. I should never have sold that.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bigpond

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne,Australia
Was considering upgrading my Reference 3 to a 5 this new Anniversary Model has thrown a spanner in the works, I suppose there is a clear difference though as it is just over double the price!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Was considering upgrading my Reference 3 to a 5 this new Anniversary Model has thrown a spanner in the works, I suppose there is a clear difference though as it is just over double the price!!

I find that power supplies make a large difference in the sound preamps, etc. and certainly is one big difference between entry level or even mid priced high-end gear and the best.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Look at the recent posts in the avguide blog about the Ref40.

BTW, it is cheaper than the Ferrari!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing