Crazy Looking Metals & Sins Tape Deck. Is it real or a Just A Study In Design?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
May be the people going to munich can report , a copy of their brochure would be Nice and some pics.
From what i understand there would be a machine displayed

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Real? Yes. Any reason why it would sound good? Nothing visible. The reason why some RTR decks are so popular isn't because they look fancy... the electronics in them matter.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
[FONT=palatino\ linotype]Fascinating :cool:
I wonder about its mass -- the deck is intended to be portable, but I would imagine a minimum mass would be necessary while those 10.5" reels are rotating.
[/FONT]

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Wow, I am subscribing big time, worth quoting.
Those are the best designs in audio, ever. I've checked the pdf link and they are simply gorgeous looking.
If they sound close to their look they are the Bugatti and Masserati of higher audio soupup in the world of supreme caliber.

The designs simply blow my eyes! If they can blow my ears equally, then I'd be full blown off all over my brain.
I will quit the research of space and the origin of the universe for a slice of audio design engineering @ its best...the road to the next nirvana [STRIKE]face[/STRIKE] phase.

Wow wow wow!!! It finally paid off; I met the most beautiful looking audio components in our cosmos.
Thank you for posting this right here; it belongs.

Now I'm on a quest . . . for a test drive.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
[FONT=palatino\ linotype]Quite sensuous -- aren't they?![/FONT] :D

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ll check it out in Munich next week
Kostas Metaxas has a stand with the entire new productline of speakers amps etc
the tape machine is based on Stellavox and Mr.M knows from his extensive recording experience what is needed from a good recorder
http://www.metaxas.com/

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
From Munich High-End Show 2018

IMG_7159.JPG IMG_7163.jpg

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Under its "skin" it is a Stellavox Sp series machine, with the reel tables spaced apart so it can take big reels. Looks to have Nortronics heads.
Kostas indicated to me that he is making "a few" depending on demand and parts availability.

Just BEAUTIFUL - Congratulations Kostas!

Charles

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
I was wondering why some rollers seem vintage. Is the electronics a new design or is it just a skin/shell over a recapped Stellavox SP?

It's a LOT more than "recapped". Looks like the SP mechanics are up top. The electronics may be in the bottom. No idea if he's using the Stella modules or his own.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing