The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Arcadian

Apr 28, 2018
Gavin, you’re dismissing the Pnoes prematurely.
Why don’t you go listen to them and tell us what you think.
We’ll swap notes, I’m down to hear them on Saturday.

Please remember that the 2018 Pnoe is clearly better than previous production models. We never stopped improving them.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Please remember that the 2018 Pnoe is clearly better than previous production models. We never stopped improving them.

Dear Arcadian,

Please could you outline the specific details of the 2018 Pnoe revision - I am most interested in understanding the technical detail of this new solution you described in relation to “mid and high frequency isolation from the bass...”

What does the new “copper baffle” do also? Any other revisions that lead to the 2018 superiority?

Thanks.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Apologies to Ked :eek:

Well when i was a part of a sound system (Exodus), we ran a mix of sealed boxes, w- bins and scoops for bass.
When i researched the best subwoofers to run outside in my amphitheatre and complementing my EAW thx-spec full range cabinets the consensus on the pro sound forum was either the Danley Labhorn or EAW's bh883, aka Big Bertha aka Levan, the mahoosive bass horns that underpinned the Ministry of Sound's rig at the time it was considered the best dance rig in the world
So i hoped that horns could provide the sound i am looking for, but maybe supplemented with sealed boxes.
Which the Velodynes are, of course

Also the Pnoe have a further advantage....weighing 60kg or thereabouts, and with high efficiency and good power handling, and with a minor structural rejigging chez gav, the Pnoe could also double as outside speakers for the amphitheatre.
Where they are now sited is just in front of patio windows, the other side of the glass is a small patio commanding the amphitheatre so it wouldnt be too hard to shuffle them out of the patio doors, turn 180 degrees and i have sounds outside.....without going to the considerable trouble of building outside enclosures for the vending machine sized EAW 4973f's, and without requiring the 14 channels of pro sound amplification, plus crossovers plus dsp, to drive two 4973f's and four bh883's

Exodus you say?

You must know me then?

I built the entire system at the Luton brickworks '90 not one sealed enclosure.

You may sail very close to your nirvana and only miss because you listened to hairdressers living in bedsits.

I also did Mystery in London and some of the End in Holborn.

Biology,Energy,Sunday Roast,The Mud Club(Everson Allen),The Eclipse,Spectrum,The Clink Street morning sessions,Hoxton train parties(Drax) et al..................

I used to share a flat with Eastie in Leighton Buzzard,we were all broke at the time,days were spent mixing nights spray painting.

That is how it all began for me and my friends, to a man all wealthy in our own way as such we formed the charity to help children the way that music helped all of us.

Kind regards,G.

P.S 853 Guy,you write extremely well,you are clearly very Intelligent.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Exodus you say?

You must know me then?

I built the entire system at the Luton brickworks '90 not one sealed enclosure.

You may sail very close to your nirvana and only miss because you listened to hairdressers living in bedsits.

I also did Mystery in London and some of the End in Holborn.

Biology,Energy,Sunday Roast,The Mud Club(Everson Allen),The Eclipse,Spectrum,The Clink Street morning sessions,Hoxton train parties(Drax) et al..................

I used to share a flat with Eastie in Leighton Buzzard,we were all broke at the time,days were spent mixing nights spray painting.

That is how it all began for me and my friends, to a man all wealthy in our own way as such we formed the charity to help children the way that music helped all of us.

Kind regards,G.

P.S 853 Guy,you write extremely well,you are clearly very Intelligent.

Are you Jak the Stak ?
I'm Gavin, arrived 95, there til the end, lived at Haz manor

My mistake on the sealed boxes ?

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
No, Jack came from the Spiral Tribe Ket' drinking crew.He preferred generators,we used the national grid almost always.

My last one was '91 in Hitchin, 30K rig on a juggernaut.

Subsequently my focus shifted to early techno/jungle(juice box crew)production and engineering.When the Outer-Limits stopped playing out was pretty much the end of the scene for us.

Kind regards,G.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
General, the last time I was tempted by the promise of horns on bass driven music was when Bob Marley and AC/DC were brought out to play thru Animas.
I thought I was really in for an amazing time.
Never was a tease so brutally turned into anti-climax .

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I reckon w 250-300k lps in tow, you have plenty to challenge my pre(mis?)conceptions of horns and a truly integrated, extended, and tuneful, low end.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Sorry that's completely gone over my head.
What do you mean?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing