The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I did follow the dots from your Greek mention. Congrats.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Mr Baffled,

I think you will really enjoy the Pnoe horn speakers you are looking at - they are stonking. The speed of drums for your kind of musical genre will be hilarious. I have been listening to these horns a lot since December at the General’s house. The picture you put up is the old version - you need the full fat version with AER BD4 drivers and exciters :D

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I did follow the dots from your Greek mention. Congrats.

I'd expect nothing less from a hornmeister like yourself, Ked :cool:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Dear Mr Baffled,

I think you will really enjoy the Pnoe horn speakers you are looking at - they are stonking. The speed of drums for your kind of musical genre will be hilarious. I have been listening to these horns a lot since December at the General’s house. The picture you put up is the old version - you need the full fat version with AER BD4 drivers and exciters :D

Thank you Bill :)

A close audiophile friend and mentor heard them this week and drew the same conclusion you have.
On seeing them i thought
'I have to have these in my life, even if only for a while'

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yup listened to those today. Very briefly. Will same again tomorrow.

WRT the Gobel Aeon mentioned earlier. The 2018 setup isn't as good as 2017's offering. The speakers don't have the space or the subs and they need both to thrive I suspect.

Also the Divin does scale well and sounds effortless but it is not very exciting. I was disappointed today despite the fact in quite a few parameters it does very well.

There is something very good about the Aeon's flat square driver panel I think, given it looks sort of unique.

Does anyone know anything about it?

For me I would go for the Aeon's and some Gobel subs over the Divin if I had a big room to allow something like the 2017 setup to be realised. With a lot of rear space they do very well with subs planted way back as per 2017.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

WRT the Gobel Aeon mentioned earlier. The 2018 setup isn't as good as 2017's offering. The speakers don't have the space or the subs and they need both to thrive I suspect.

Also the Divin does scale well and sounds effortless but it is not very exciting. I was disappointed today despite the fact in quite a few parameters it does very well.

There is something very good about the Aeon's flat square driver panel I think, given it looks sort of unique.

For me I would go for the Aeon's and some Gobel subs over the Divin if I had a big room to allow something like the 2017 setup to be realised. With a lot of rear space they do very well with subs planted way back as per 2017.

I have the new Epoque Aeon Fine, not the Ref, in my listening room now. I was told this year’s showing at Munich is not by Gobel but by Vitus using the Aeon Ref.

Never heard the Divine but I did get a call from a friend that was “blown away” although for the money he would have chosen a Ref with two subs for the same price; his preference.

My Aeons are loaners until mine are delivered. Went for the light silver with Ferrari red. The Bending Wave is an amazing technology. Currently I have a very large room 26x36 with 12 foot ceilings and I have had many many speakers and nothin quite like these.

Not sure what the front end they are using at Munich but mine is the MSB Select II with all Gobel cables including his Ethernet to the MSB Renderer.

These are replacing my Nola Concert Grand Gold.

I have never heard the Ref or the model prior to the Aeon but these have higher sensitivity and the bending handles everything from 160Hz to 30kHz and have 178 degree dispersion. Go to his site to read more about the technology. Having had many ribbons, panels and come speakers I can say these are the most seamless I have ever heard with stellar timbre and just totally disappear into an amazing holographic image I have never heard.

I have had the first pair made (demo pair for the USA distributor) and can’t say enough good things about them. I did the ultimate. Got rid of my “ultimate” speaker for them. Lol.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you Bill :)

A close audiophile friend and mentor heard them this week and drew the same conclusion you have.
On seeing them i thought
'I have to have these in my life, even if only for a while'

Thing is I doubt it will just be for “a while” because those things just make music in a way that not a lot else does. I am excited for you tbh.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Similar to Manger bending wave tech. One uses soft and the other hard material. Daniela Manger gave me a brief overview last year and the Goebel gentleman did a follow up explanation on WBF last Nov.

They are more full range than even my big Heil driver ( freq response only 650hz up to 23K, while the Manger does 80hz to 31K) but the Heil driver is faster, with its air velocity transformer function. Needless to say, I prefer the Heil to Manger (dipole vs monopole). Dont know the Goebel.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Similar to Manger bending wave tech. One uses soft and the other hard material. Daniela Manger gave me a brief overview last year and the Goebel gentleman did a follow up explanation on WBF last Nov.

They are more full range than even my big Heil driver ( freq response only 650hz up to 23K, while the Manger does 80hz to 31K) but the Heil driver is faster, with its air velocity transformer function. Needless to say, I prefer the Heil to Manger (dipole vs monopole). Dont know the Goebel.

Crikey. I'm going to spend a chunk of my weekend thinking about, comprehending that post.
And mine eyes have not recovered from the blizzard of reading provoked by this thread, culminating on thursday

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Try to hear the full fat version with exciter on the front and BD4 driver - I think you can hear that at the Hifi deluxe down the road.

This exciter thing is strange...i thought it was a protective plate for the drive units while at shows.
Turns out its nothing of the sort

Since looking at the other full range drivers available i wonder why they don't use Feastrex?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thing is I doubt it will just be for “a while” because those things just make music in a way that not a lot else does. I am excited for you tbh.

My friend suspects i may not need as many subwoofers. He also thinks they might be perfect for my outdoor amphitheatre, given they can sustain 130db (!)

I'm hoping to have them in about nine months. I need a bit of time to save and there's a three month lead time

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This exciter thing is strange...i thought it was a protective plate for the drive units while at shows.
Turns out its nothing of the sort

Since looking at the other full range drivers available i wonder why they don't use Feastrex?

Ha - do you know anything about the AER drivers at all? Feastrex are great but no BD4.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My friend suspects i may not need as many subwoofers. He also thinks they might be perfect for my outdoor amphitheatre, given they can sustain 130db (!)

I'm hoping to have them in about nine months. I need a bit of time to save and there's a three month lead time

Well I returned from a listening session today - this time powered by NAT Magma in triode mode so about 50 watts. I have never heard these on Jungle / drum and bass etc so we kicked it off there. My goodness, I think you are going to laugh your head off when you hear what they do with this genre. The General has a massive listening room with high ceilings and they severely pressurised the room with no issue at all sounding like a PA system in hifidelity. The bass was hilarious - doesn’t sound like any subwoofer I heard as it is so fast and integrated with the rest yet potent. I am very jealous!!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Well I returned from a listening session today - this time powered by NAT Magma in triode mode so about 50 watts. I have never heard these on Jungle / drum and bass etc so we kicked it off there. My goodness, I think you are going to laugh your head off when you hear what they do with this genre. The General has a massive listening room with high ceilings and they severely pressurised the room with no issue at all sounding like a PA system in hifidelity. The bass was hilarious - doesn’t sound like any subwoofer I heard as it is so fast and integrated with the rest yet potent. I am very jealous!!

Hi Bill, still lusting over these giant horns I see. LoL Kicked the Universums to the curb?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill, still lusting over these giant horns I see. LoL Kicked the Universums to the curb?

Hi Norman,

Good to hear from you! Hope you are well.

Yes still lusting after these more than ever lol. Universums were never being entertained by me only Kedar’s incessant ranting at me to hear them :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing