The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I fear Gavin's (?) sound volume requirements would kill a Duetta within a day :oops:
I've just broken some Accuphase amps capable of 500 Watts into 4 Ohms on mine and the speakers are fine.

Composite clamps properly bolted rather than screwed into the chassis will take much more punishment than the original Apogee design.

As I have said volume levels may be the issue. But it's still good enough to give you tinnitus.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
For their time brilliant. Just made too cheaply to work well and last long term, to be quite frank.

Made well, the basic approach is the best I have ever heard, anywhere, so far.
Henk'd Apogees are in general excellent sounding and wonderful to look at :cool:

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Been chatting with a chap who just got a pair of Duettas in California, made to a similar spec to mine, by Jon.

He seems happy as he explores what he can do with them.

One thing he did on my recommendation is to follow the Martin Collom's idea to reduce the 32 Hz Duetta bass peak. The idea is to place some card behind the bottom part of the bass panel. He's actually used foam, a better idea I think, and it does measurably work. It's only a small piece but a larger piece would cut it more, I am sure. The small bit took it 4 dB down. Cool.

I'm not touching mine as I like the emphasis. But he plays a lot of vinyl and a boost down there isn't so great with it.

Some more changes to do yet. But I'm confident we can get him where he wants to be.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
For their time brilliant. Just made too cheaply to work well and last long term, to be quite frank.

Made well, the basic approach is the best I have ever heard, anywhere, so far.

I have a pair of Apogee Caliper Signatures that were rehabbed once, but otherwise have been going strong since 1991 and I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have a pair of Apogee Caliper Signatures that were rehabbed once, but otherwise have been going strong since 1991 and I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon.
Great.

Very much like Martin Logan's, the lifespan will vary depending on a few parameters, especially how hard they are driven, how well the ribbons were made and especially the environment. Tropical conditions will not bode well, for instance.

My last sentence in your quote is over the top. I think I had had a beer or two;) But I do think planar magnetic tech is awesome done well.

x1992

Jul 9, 2016
Dallas
Magnepan 30.7s have very good bass, avoiding continuity issues of hybrids and the excursion 'thwap' of ribbons (Analysis Audio) and large ESLs.
While the large Magnepans invited one to walk around the whole room an enjoy the music, the very even sound distribution stops with the bass.
The bass of course still suffers room modes, which is kind of bummer given how great the system is otherwise. Maybe Duke can help with that ;)

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Magnepan 30.7s have very good bass, avoiding continuity issues of hybrids and the excursion 'thwap' of ribbons (Analysis Audio) and large ESLs.
While the large Magnepans invited one to walk around the whole room an enjoy the music, the very even sound distribution stops with the bass.
The bass of course still suffers room modes, which is kind of bummer given how great the system is otherwise. Maybe Duke can help with that ;)
I own the 30.7s as a second system and absolutely love them.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I've mentioned before that when Magnepan's dealer tour with the 30.7 hit Denver it was the worst demo I've ever seen.

The vocals had weird phase effects and the Magnepan folks were messing with the crossovers using jumper wires and alligator clips.

I actually walked out and had to go sit in a room with a pair of Sonus Fabers to decompress and reset my ears.

Sadly, last I heard pre-COVID was no dealers actually carried them, they were all build-to-order.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I've mentioned before that when Magnepan's dealer tour with the 30.7 hit Denver it was the worst demo I've ever seen.

The vocals had weird phase effects and the Magnepan folks were messing with the crossovers using jumper wires and alligator clips.

I actually walked out and had to go sit in a room with a pair of Sonus Fabers to decompress and reset my ears.

Sadly, last I heard pre-COVID was no dealers actually carried them, they were all build-to-order.
I don’t think you know what your talking about because they sound stunning in my room and many people have heard them and agree with me.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I don’t think you know what your talking about because they sound stunning in my room and many people have heard them and agree with me.

I didn’t say they were horrible in your room, I said it was the worst manufacturer demo I’d ever heard and then went on to mention I don’t think any dealers carry demo pairs.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing