The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I love the way you can see the membranes shiver....do you have the blue lights behind the panels?

The blue lights are front firing - the one on the left speaker is considerably closer than the one on the right. Should have sorted that out years ago by extending the mains lead for the left one. I will get round to it, LOL.

There are two white lamps behind each speaker.

Actually at one stage I had coloured lights behind and in front, and cycled the colour with it gradually changing their RGB mix, with all out of synch with each other. After a while, though, that drives you insane.:D As it is I can do various effects, but I just like that colour blue more than anything.

All the action is visible on the right speaker because of the way the light hits it, but I assure you both are doing their stuff!

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Apogees come in New ribbons, modern crossover components like duelund, and much better structure than before. So not exactly vintage

What is the business name of the Restorer in Schipol?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is the business name of the Restorer in Schipol?

You are not really going to get a website and stuff. I will PM you his contact details later. He and the U.S. Restorer are the only ones who restore the big full ranges, and have also done Divas and scintillas. His personal one at home is the Grands

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
You are not really going to get a website and stuff. I will PM you his contact details later. He and the U.S. Restorer are the only ones who restore the big full ranges, and have also done Divas and scintillas. His personal one at home is the Grands

Gotcha.
Thank you Ked

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
People thinking about old Apogees should remember that restorers do not sell parts for panel refurbishing - the speakers must be sent to be serviced. It is a real nuisance for most people.

In this aspect electrostatics are preferable - I can get all materials to repair my old ELS63 and recently a friend of mine restored with success a Soundlab A4 needing new bass foils, spending less than 200 euros, including shipping expenses.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi no, you pay the restorer, he gives you a completely new model. He himself sources the older one. You don't have to send him anything. And Henk is also willing to transport very cheap

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi no, you pay the restorer, he gives you a completely new model. He himself sources the older one. You don't have to send him anything. And Henk is also willing to transport very cheap

But if we ever have the nonchalance of having a problem will we sell us parts for service?

I was mainly addressing people who own old Apogees or wanted to buy used Apogess, not people buying new speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you have old apogees, yes, you will have to send them back for a restore, and you could save a bit

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you have old apogees, yes, you will have to send them back for a restore, and you could save a bit

No, it will not save - it will be much more expensive than buying the ribbon panels and fitting them the DIY way, as I referred for electrostatics.

International shipping of large boxes is expensive, particularly if you need insurance and are a private shipper. Not everyone lives close to the installers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh of course, fitting yourself is going to be cheaper.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Microstrip is right - for bass panels only. You can DIY install the other ribbons.

Bass panels used to be supplied for DIY installation. But it is difficult to do, and so many messed it up Graz had to stop it.

In all honesty, the speakers could have been made differently, with a bit of design effort, in such a manner that a new bass panel and clamps could be posted to the owner as a single, replaceable unit.

That said Martin Logan massively increased the price of their panels a few years ago, so they are now definitely expensive to replace. And how long they last is pot luck. I went through quite a few sets they can fail quite quickly.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
BTW there was some German dude selling Apogee bass ribbons on ebay if you wanted to try yourself. Not sure if he still does.

Hint: there are Apogee ribbon replacement videos on YouTube for Caliper.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
BTW there was some German dude selling Apogee bass ribbons on ebay if you wanted to try yourself. Not sure if he still does.

Hint: there are Apogee ribbon replacement videos on YouTube for Caliper.

Thanks. It is for a friend - at maximum I will have to advice and help!

If one is a skilled DIY person the critical parameter for panel replacement is tension. However, if you have access to a audio spectrometer it is very easy to get the correct value - just look for the resonance frequency while adjusting tension. All you have to know its value - that can be obtained measuring a good panel, even if its efficiency is low.

BTW, Martin Logan panels can also be user rebuilt - although disassembly is a tedious process as the panels are glued with dual sided glue thick tapes.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thanks. It is for a friend - at maximum I will have to advice and help!

If one is a skilled DIY person the critical parameter for panel replacement is tension. However, if you have access to a audio spectrometer it is very easy to get the correct value - just look for the resonance frequency while adjusting tension. All you have to know its value - that can be obtained measuring a good panel, even if its efficiency is low.

BTW, Martin Logan panels can also be user rebuilt - although disassembly is a tedious process as the panels are glued with dual sided glue thick tapes.

I have the tuning manual somewhere I think.

Yes to the ML panel DIY but it is a PITA.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Gobel are definitely on the shortlist
Of the others Emerald Physics are the only one i am aware of.

I must admit I've also strayed into looking at horns
The Aries Cerat system looks very interesting, i feel a road trip coming on once their UK installation is finalised.
I've also rekindled my interest in Rey Audio Kinoshita Monitors.
I'm advised by Shozo Kinoshita that the RM7-VC prefers a slightly larger room than my current space, he advises 8.5m length whereas i have 7.2m, so ive asked if the RM6-VC is the way forward.

I'm still ruminating on the big Apogee Grands as suggested by Ked, and have taken onboard the view that Tannoy Westminster Royals not as dynamic as the Apogees, to my surprise

Lotus: https://www.lotusgroupusa.com/granada-loudspeaker.html
Amazon : http://www.amazon-audio.de/Engl_AMA_amt_one.html
Transar: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ess-transar-rebuild-thread.723653/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESS_speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEAGr89KrPo
Linkwitz: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=linkwitz+lx521

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing