The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Marc

Even the FRs need 3 lots of amps, and two crossovers to integrate with each other.

The Divas need two lots of amps at least, and the crossover settings I heard on the pair I demoed, so called expertly set up, were all wrong and the owner has spent more than a year trying to get right.

That is not correct.
Divas need 2 channels of amplification, FRs need 4 channels of amplification

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Jet lagged perhaps? I have owned Calipers and many other very large planars. Heard Grands, FRs, Scintillas (unmodded and modded), Divas, Duettas (unmodded and modded), Centaur Majors, Studio Grands, Stages, MiniGrands, Centaurs, Centaur minors...well just about all of them actually. I own horns, period. Heard dozens of others. Your opinion about the size is irrelevant.

I have owned NAT Symbiosis and Plasma preamp and heard the whole line of 211 based SE models at length as well as the Transmitter. Commented on Magma only to say it sounded good in Odeon room in Munich...what's your point? Owned KR Integrated, sold three Kronzillas (when I was a dealer) and wrote a review on the KR DM monoblocks (before I was a dealer and had them for three months) for Positive Feedback and the P135 preamp, not to mention hearing the Kronzilla SX at Christoph's many times. Tried them on dozens of speakers, therefore I know them probably as well as anyone on this forum.

So, far you haven't mentioned one thing I have commented on that I haven't heard at great length...sheesh what is wrong with you???

Oh and btw. two of the Kronzilla SD stereo amps I sold back in the day went to a guy who owned Lansche Goa speakers. Wonderful sounding speaker and predecessor to their Cubus model. Nice 100db/watt horns with plasma tweeter.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I stand corrected, Christoph.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hi Marc

That is not correct.
Divas need 2 channels of amplification, FRs need 4 channels of amplification

Four channels is not beyond do-able.

It translates to regular speakers bi-amped, something I'm all in favour of. The Lotus Granada
(Not to be confused with a Lotus Cortina)
requires four channels also

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Four channels is not beyond do-able.

It translates to regular speakers bi-amped, something I'm all in favour of. The Lotus Granada
(Not to be confused with a Lotus Cortina)
requires four channels also

Is the Granada what you have now?

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I Just spoke with Henk who has the grands , hope/ will make a listening appointment soon.
Fully active 4 Amps per channel, Will be quite Interesting to hear what a large ribbon can do.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Is the Granada what you have now?

No. They are another contender. Made by Lotus Group USA
Open baffle three way with feastrex field coil driver. Also come with subs....although i wasn't able to get a great amount of detail about those
The big drawback was lack of uk distribution.
Even if they visited to install them, ime it takes several visits to get that sort of thing right. You need time to listen to different setups and form opinions, figure out why you are hearing what you are hearing and then decide what action is required to remedy any issues. I don't have faith this can be done transatlantically....it's too hands on
Locating speakers within a room is one thing, I'm confident in my ability to do that.
But bring off board subs, dsp and multiple crossovers into the equation and I'm prepared to accept i need professional help

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I Just spoke with Henk who has the grands , hope/ will make a listening appointment soon.
Fully active 4 Amps per channel, Will be quite Interesting to hear what a large ribbon can do.

Good effort :D
Please report back?

What are your current reference points, with regard to speakers?
What impresses you?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can then just look at trios with bass horns and add bass horns depending on your bass needs. But you won't get conal excursion

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
You can then just look at trios with bass horns and add bass horns depending on your bass needs. But you won't get conal excursion

Not sure what you mean by the second half,
Limited spls?

Whats the thread's view of avantgarde trios?
I like their looks.

Alain reckons i should make it my life's mission to get a pair of Magico ultimate horns.
They make the Apogee Grands seem easy by comparison, both in terms of amp requirements, and price and availability. And they would heed help at the bottom end, although i guess Magico not light on subwoofers so you would think they can sell you something massive that would integrate. The Qsub18, was it, iirc?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Constantine Soo's Dagogo zine just published a review of the Sound Lab Ultimate 545 electrostatic speakers in which he makes reference to their outstanding ability to reproduce bass which he calls "an earth shattering bottom-end."

The full review can be found here:https://www.dagogo.com/sound-lab-ultimate-545-electrostatic-loudspeakers-review/2/

Very intruiging. Have you heard them?
I think the bigger Ultimate 745 might be the ones for me. But i can't find any reviews.
Have they solved the limited dynamics? I do like a bit of bass slam
Edit
In the review of the 545 he says bass dynamics is unmatched....but the reviewers references were all classical, plus Kodo drummers, i think?
Something tells me id really have to hear these before purchasing

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This 545 looks a good size too. Need to hear it

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
"Very intruiging. Have you heard them?"

Short answer: Yes! As mentioned in Constantine's review, I heard them at his home just last week. I have the Ultimate-1PX panels in my home, which are identical to the current Ultimate 745PX with the exception of not having the BassBoost feature which extends the bass response by 6dB. All current production includes this. The bass of the pair I heard at Constantine's was impressive. In my opinion, when driven by capable amplification, the dynamics are not limited! I can only imagine the bass slam I would have if my Ultimate-1PX panels had the BassBoost. My current amps are Pass Labs XA-260.8 (Class A/B) which are affordable (about $10K/pair) and very capable. I listen to all kinds of music including Jazz, R&R, and Blues, as well as live music (I live in San Francisco) and am very satisfied. If you get to SF, you would be welcome to come audition the Majestic 545's which will soon arrive. The Ultimate 1's are located at my 2nd home which is 2 hours north, in the Boonies.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Good effort :D
Please report back?

What are your current reference points, with regard to speakers?
What impresses you?

Off course i ll report back plus may be some pics .

To be honest, not much anymore those days are over.
What used to impress me was the natural midrange
/ impact of big Wilsons, spaciousness of Avalons, transparancy/ neutrality of some magicos. And the complete ease of presentation of HPL built kharma speakers.
No horns i ve heard to date impressed me , some panels i heard for example Martin Logan were very transparant in a small sense but lacked most other things.
Plus i love the Velvet deep impact of the 11 12 inch Eton , done well in An appropriate housing.
The decay of notes in phenolic resin based speakers impressed me to.
Plus a neutral design impresses me otherwise audiophilia becomes a sinkhole.
In which there is no knowing where to start to get good sound.

Ps never heard rockport speakers yet unfortunately, or evolution acoustics and others i forget

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Very intruiging. Have you heard them?
I think the bigger Ultimate 745 might be the ones for me. But i can't find any reviews.
Have they solved the limited dynamics? I do like a bit of bass slam
Edit
In the review of the 545 he says bass dynamics is unmatched....but the reviewers references were all classical, plus Kodo drummers, i think?
Something tells me id really have to hear these before purchasing

Really large panels can have phenomenal bass and dynamics. Martin Logans never did bass really (even the old CLS models) because curving the panel restricts motion. SoundLab does it differently where the frame is curved but each "cell" of the foil is flat. My old Acoustat Spectra 4400 had some of the best, most impactful bass I have ever heard even to this day. Even after having systems like the Infiinity IRS Beta, where I had 4 x 12 inch servo controlled woofers per channel. Amps to drive Soundlabs is another story...a big Boulder amp might not be the ticket in any event...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No. They are another contender. Made by Lotus Group USA
Open baffle three way with feastrex field coil driver. Also come with subs....although i wasn't able to get a great amount of detail about those
The big drawback was lack of uk distribution.
Even if they visited to install them, ime it takes several visits to get that sort of thing right. You need time to listen to different setups and form opinions, figure out why you are hearing what you are hearing and then decide what action is required to remedy any issues. I don't have faith this can be done transatlantically....it's too hands on
Locating speakers within a room is one thing, I'm confident in my ability to do that.
But bring off board subs, dsp and multiple crossovers into the equation and I'm prepared to accept i need professional help

Well they are something VERY different from the planars we have been talking about. Yes, they are dipoles but these full-range drivers are a special sound and some love them and some hate them because they have serious peculiarities with HF response. Some are better than others in this regard. Feastrex are of course one of the most expensive so should be one of the best sounding of this type but are likely not devoid of all the "specialness" of that kind of sound.

Still, for intimacy and hearing into a recording there may not be much better.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Off course i ll report back plus may be some pics .

To be honest, not much anymore those days are over.
What used to impress me was the natural midrange
/ impact of big Wilsons, spaciousness of Avalons, transparancy/ neutrality of some magicos. And the complete ease of presentation of HPL built kharma speakers.
No horns i ve heard to date impressed me , some panels i heard for example Martin Logan were very transparant in a small sense but lacked most other things.
Plus i love the Velvet deep impact of the 11 12 inch Eton , done well in An appropriate housing.
The decay of notes in phenolic resin based speakers impressed me to.
Plus a neutral design impresses me otherwise audiophilia becomes a sinkhole.
In which there is no knowing where to start to get good sound.

Ps never heard rockport speakers yet unfortunately, or evolution acoustics and others i forget

You have never heard a big, full-range electrostat or large ribbon panel yet I take it? What horns did you hear that you failed to be impressed by?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve heard the usual magnepan , martin logan , audiostatic ,but not their large topmodels .
Horns : Blumenhofer big 60 K model , westminster big 40 K model , avantgarde not the big model , zingali , klipsch, JBL various studio/pa designs and some more i forgot .
See i only remember gear i like, from horns not even one i liked , more or less acceptable was may be the big klipsch , i think if you would do a independant Frequency response check on them , you d get a hart attack with most lol .
Completely coloured loudspeakers tailored to certain kinds of music , but this is off course my only dum opinion.

There was one active PA loudspeaker/with high freq horn i liked, though it was in an outside environment /open space at a carshow and i thought it was quit nice , no audiophile thing

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing