The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is your opinion on the Studio Grands?

Christoph owns a pair. He doesn't use the subs though. They are more alternative to duettas.

Also the panels are more duetta sized, in a big room they are not going to do the power and scale and grandeur of the grands with all that power

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Christoph owns a pair. He doesn't use the subs though. They are more alternative to duettas.

Also the panels are more duetta sized, in a big room they are not going to do the power and scale and grandeur of the grands with all that power

Yes, but grands are almost unobtainable and we can get cheap duetta signatures easily ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, but grands are almost unobtainable and we can get cheap duetta signatures easily ...

IB will be able to get Henk's Grands based on his budget and size, and he already has the Boulders. Duettas are more for my size and budget considerations. With your room size I would have got the FR. The difference in price between duetta, Scintilla, Diva, and FR is not much - approx. 8k, 11k, 12k, 17k Euro plus any special crossover component cost, WBT connectors or wire cabling you desire. So it mainly becomes a space and amplification issue.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Dreaming you can go out and buy a cheap pair of knackered Duettas and think you getting a great performing loudspeaker is nonsense, though. You need to up the spec and make them properly. By all means use the original magnet arrays but chuck just about everything else away. I/we did. Even the magnet arrays were re-aligned.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, all IB would have to do would be to contact Jon and get a dialog going on bespoke Duettas.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let's be realistic here, duettas are too small for his requirements

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Two is fine. Grands are one hour from Schipol

So where did i get the idea that four stereo amps are required for the grands?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
IB will be able to get Henk's Grands based on his budget and size, and he already has the Boulders. Duettas are more for my size and budget considerations. With your room size I would have got the FR. The difference in price between duetta, Scintilla, Diva, and FR is not much - approx. 8k, 11k, 12k, 17k Euro plus any special crossover component cost, WBT connectors or wire cabling you desire. So it mainly becomes a space and amplification issue.

How much for the Grands, Ked?
I'm guessing they were the ones requiring four stereo amps?

I know of a pair of 2050's, that would get me halfway there...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surely the Grands are not really practical

Rare as Hens’ teeth, and 4 stereo amps needed

Surely Divas or FRs would be fine for IB, only 2-3 amps needed, and much easier to source

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How much for the Grands, Ked?
I'm guessing they were the ones requiring four stereo amps?

I know of a pair of 2050's, that would get me halfway there...

2 stereo amps or, if monoblocks, 4 monos. But 2 pairs.

Grands are a collector's item. So it depends how much you can negotiate with Henk to get his. I would only get his, really.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
From the eight Krell MDA-300s mentioned here?

The only people I know who have heard the Grand are Ked and Ron. I can't comment on any practical experience with them at all.

I heard two different pairs of Grands :rolleyes: :p
They can be absolutely awesome when perfectly overhauled and equally set up.
But the need for 4 additional channels to the already built-in 4 channels (of Krell amplification) is almost as off-putting as the extreme complication of that speaker. There are thousands of possible settings that interact with each other.
IMHO the Grand is only for an extremely tech savvy owner who likes to tweak even more than to just listen to music.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Surely FRs or Divas would be the sweet spot for IB?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard two different pairs of Grands :rolleyes: :p
They can be absolutely awesome when perfectly overhauled and equally set up.
But the need for 4 additional channels to the already built-in 4 channels (of Krell amplification) is almost as off-putting as the extreme complication of that speaker. There are thousands of possible settings that interact with each other.
IMHO the Grand is only for an extremely tech savvy owner who likes to tweak even more than to just listen to music.

But Henk will set it up. And it already is set up. It just needs to be configured to the room. The FR also is a multi year project

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
FR is a walk in the park compared to the Grand :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
2 stereo amps or, if monoblocks, 4 monos. But 2 pairs.

Grands are a collector's item. So it depends how much you can negotiate with Henk to get his. I would only get his, really.

Are you saying that Henk's pair of Grands is available for sale?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing