The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Arcadian

Apr 28, 2018
My apologies for the tone of my post to you. I've thought about it and reflected on the emotions behind it.
Firstly i had already formed some emotional attschment to the idea of the Pnoe. Of having them in my sanctum, and both the visual and audio changes they would bring. They fit my idea of beauty, and they fit the direction i would like to take my system in wrt amplification.
I could easily accept that they might not be full enough in the sub bass region for my taste, as i already supplement my main speakers with subwoofers. But learning that they basically exclude such assistance has been difficult. Its like being excluded from a club and told, no, we dont cater to your requirements, nor do we permit you to assist yourself. So it was this, coming after the unexpectedly belligerent turn the thread took today that lies behind my emotional response.
I don't doubt that you are music loving perfectionists rather than businessman, and there is no malice intended in my heartfelt plea to consider that the younger generation listen to a lot more hip hop and electronica, and not to ignore this market

I respect your views on boxed subwoofers, may i ask your views on infinitely baffled subwoofers?
I went as far as doing the necessary structural work above my listening room, adding steel beams to support two heavy IB subs, before ultimately going in a different direction. But the reputation is of a kind of bass completey removed from what conventional subwoofers can achieve[/QUOTE

No problem with your comments dear IB. We have never listened to a baffled sub. I wonder how it could be done. Are there any such realisations in the market?

I would like to say something though, and this is also for Joe C. below. It might sound extreme, and it is extreme, but even if one adds a coupling capacitor to the amplification path or even a minimalist crossover, the sound quality is degraded. With drivers like the BD4 this is clearly audible but many times not easily described. It is an effect in the harmonic richness of the sound. We also have personal systems in our team which are set up with other criteria in mind. Extreme resolution is surely difficult to implement anywhere, for different reasons. Some examples: ATC actives, JBL K2, JMLAb Stella, all with top-notch electronics, and we have listened to many others of course. And these systems have bass and sweetness and tonal balance and good articulation, but they could never reach what the Pnoe produced in terms of naturalness, speed and grainlessness in the sound, with good bass down to 32-35Hz. Of course this does not mean that this sound can satisfy all tastes, but we still find that in some important respects it is truly amazing.

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
My apologies for the tone of my post to you. I've thought about it and reflected on the emotions behind it.
Firstly i had already formed some emotional attschment to the idea of the Pnoe. Of having them in my sanctum, and both the visual and audio changes they would bring. They fit my idea of beauty, and they fit the direction i would like to take my system in wrt amplification.
I could easily accept that they might not be full enough in the sub bass region for my taste, as i already supplement my main speakers with subwoofers. But learning that they basically exclude such assistance has been difficult. Its like beinog excluded from a club and told, no, we dont cater to your requirements, nor do we permit you to assist yourself. So it was this, coming after the unexpectedly belligerent turn the thread took today that lies behind my emotional response.

I don't doubt that you are music loving perfectionists rather than businessman, and there is no malice intended in my heartfelt plea to consider that the younger generation listen to a lot more hip hop and electronica, and not to ignore this market

I respect your views on boxed subwoofers, may i ask your views on infinitely baffled subwoofers?
I went as far as doing the necessary structural work above my listening room, adding steel beams to support two heavy IB subs, before ultimately going in a different direction. But the reputation is of a kind of bass completey removed from what conventional subwoofers can achieve[/QUOTE

No problem with your comments dear IB. We have never listened to a baffled sub. I wonder how it could be done. Are there any such realisations in the market?

I would like to say something though, and this is also for Joe C. below. It might sound extreme, and it is extreme, but even if one adds a coupling capacitor to the amplification path or even a minimalist crossover, the sound quality is degraded. With drivers like the BD4 this is clearly audible but many times not easily described. It is an effect in the harmonic richness of the sound. We also have personal systems in our team which are set up with other criteria in mind. Extreme resolution is surely difficult to implement anywhere, for different reasons. Some examples: ATC actives, JBL K2, JMLAb Stella, all with top-notch electronics, and we have listened to many others of course. And these systems have bass and sweetness and tonal balance and good articulation, but they could never reach what the Pnoe produced in terms of naturalness, speed and grainlessness in the sound, with good bass down to 32-35Hz. Of course this does not mean that this sound can satisfy all tastes, but we still find that in some important respects it is truly amazing.

I agree 100% that there should be no components other than wire between amplifier and driver.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
I have no interest in changing the way you choose to see subs. That is your prerogative
The Velodynes are +/-3db @14.4hz per sub. A 14hz tone is reproduced as clear as the nose on your face in my room.
As domestic subwoofers they would have no place at a rave, for that scenario i would use Danley Labhorns or Big Berthas (eaw bh883). Horses for courses

https://www.stereophile.com/content/velodyne-digital-drive-plus-18-subwoofer-specifications

The point of my posts was to enlighten you,especially as I have shown you music that is comparable.

I read the stereophile report;105 db output.

The point about not seeing them at raves was simply to suggest that they cannot produce the same spl.

Wealth is not necessarily financial;musical enrichment has furthered our lives in a multitude of ways.

When you mentioned Exodus,I wrongly assumed that you may have a somewhat thicker skin.As a London boy I may offend without intention, if so please accept my apology.

Kind regards,G.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
As we've both referred to Exodus a couple of times, for the wider audience allow me to present,
from Luton in Bedfordshire,
the Exodus Collective

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
This was a BBC2 programme broadcast prime time launching a new series.
The genre was taking folk with opposing views and making them spend time together. It made for some very engaging tv
In this episode they took a young conservative, chair of cambridge university young tories and anti drugs campaigner,
and brought him to live for a week in the home of the collective at Haz Manor in Luton, as went about our normal lives and ending the week with a pro cannabis march through central London, ending in Brockwell Park, Brixton

Haz Manor was a derelict government building squatted by the collective.
We repaired and rebuilt and made homes for the homeless, single people, couples and families.
Builders, soldiers train drivers single mums painter and decoratots plumbers and gangsters, workers the unemployed wastrels crims,
street urchins musicians and football hooligans, all races all backgrounds but mainly working class, living communally and now working together to improve their situation. And throwing an illegal rave every three weeks, like clockwork, organised with military precision, and more than a few ex military vehicles, namely three army lorries to carry the 25k stack and an armored car to lead the way. We'd have from a couple of thousand at the dance, to ten thousand at the festivals. All were free to attend, although £1 in the bucket went to the costs of the sound system.

The convoy from the meetimg point to the venue was a sight to behold, our own rolling, 1 am thousand vehicle 30mph **** off to the authorites, club owners and breweries. Hslf the crew looked like theyd just wslked off the set of Mad Max and had the vehicles to match. Exterior caged mud plugging monster 4 x 4s, menacing black US pickups, army jerps and even camo painted 2cv's policed the convoy with red flashing lights snd a red star on the side.
Scarves and face coverings were the order of the day when we assembled and moved, since a chunk of the crew were under injunction not to do what we did and the police monitored where we went, although we controlled the convoy, the meeting point and the venue
Once the we were in the police were not permitted entry.
They tried a few times in the early days and it did not go well for them. As general has alluded to, our crowd were militant
The genesis was a multi racial football firm, the migs, following Luton town fc.
Our dance was the only place where the, often warring different ethnic groups in the town gathered. And they all had crews. It had an outlaw feel, although drug dealing was not permitted as it brought too much strife. Turf wars, gangsters trying to gain control, disputes over **** desls, that sort of thing. So the rule was bring your own
White british gangs, west indian, pakistani, afghan indian and bangladeshi asian crews,, irish gypsies boyz bikers and travellers, all came together and had some,
every three weeks under the stars weather permitting, or in a warehouse when it didn't. common cause was love of dancing hatred of the way we were treated by the cops, and awareness that when we all combined we were way too strong for them. Ive never seen the energy of an Exodus rabe anywhere else, the whole convoy there as the cre broke in, an hour to set up, and from the moment the first tune erupted the whole place went for it. Astounding

Eventually, after many years the local council formalised our tenancy, charging us a 'peppercorn rent' of £1 / year.
And the duke of bedford, bedfordshire biggest landowner and therefore our most frequent target, provided us with a sanctioned venue and from then our festivals were legal, but still free

I wouldnt post these if it weren't for
a) to this day this was the best thing I've ever been a part of, it dominated my life for about 7 years, gave me a sense of belonging and purpose I've never felt elsewhere, and has shaped who i am

b) Its terrifically entertaining watching the collision of two worlds

Enjoy?

Btw, i pop up in the living with the enemy programme, but i cant remember which part. If i watch it again I'll come back with the time and part.
The cue is, were having a barbecue and tory boy suggests one of us gives up weed for the duration of the week.
Cuts to me, looking aghast.
Pony tail, lower lip piercing and a white jumper, if i remember.

Well it was the ******* 90's

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Infinite B

Have you considered the French speaker: AudioNec Diva XL? Goes deep with 2 sealed double 15in subwoofers, open dipole from 200hz to 20khz and ribbon super tweeter from 20khz to 45khz.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep, and only €245,000! For the pair!! Bargain!!!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Oh, so price is a constraint now? LoL

BTW, I had no idea of the price.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
LOL indeed re the price.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Infinite B

Have you considered the French speaker: AudioNec Diva XL? Goes deep with 2 sealed double 15in subwoofers, open dipole from 200hz to 20khz and ribbon super tweeter from 20khz to 45khz.

I had a listen to those but didn't "feel it". Wrong material, too low a volume when I was in there.

However, these blew my mind a bit at Munich 2011 - AudioNec "The Answer". 88K Euros at the time.

That square bass panel produces great bass. They just sounded fantastic I thought. 2nd best of show that year in my rankings. It's good when alternative technologies work really well and this is the case here.

Still silly expensive - I wouldn't pay it. But money no object they were really good.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Infinite B

Good call!
Will investigate further

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I had a listen to those but didn't "feel it". Wrong material, too low a volume when I was in there.

However, these blew my mind a bit at Munich 2011 - AudioNec "The Answer". 88K Euros at the time.

That square bass panel produces great bass. They just sounded fantastic I thought. 2nd best of show that year in my rankings. It's good when alternative technologies work really well and this is the case here.

Still silly expensive - I wouldn't pay it. But money no object they were really good.

These look right up my street.
I will put out some feelers after the bank holiday ?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
With respect, it is not a question of boxed or open baffle subwoofers, but of proper implementation. “Linearization” is a “loaded” term. In this case it would seem to imply some damage done to the signal, when in fact, lacking proper calibration, there is no way to properly implement full scale bass in a room. The problem is that few understand how to achieve proper calibration. It is an art as well as a science.

I couldn't agree more.
The Velodynes have a self eq-ing feature using a microphone and test signals. If you adhere to it's directions one will completely energise the room with minimal power, it will sound good for a day or two, until you realise that you have crushed the life and sparkle from your system.

Interestingly it was the UK Velodyne rep who tamed the excesses. He was a bit of a bumbler, quite disorganised and easily flustered, but when i went out and left him to it he was able to achieve something quite special, that further improved with my shuffling the sub towers back by four inches relative to the main speakers.
So this is now my baseline, s'cuse the pun. The most powerful, extended, tuneful and tight bass i have ever experienced, including clubs raves and festivals.
And by cranking the subs' master volume and frequecy roll in, i can achieve Jah Shaka levels in the ~80hz region.
So this is what i want to maintain

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Did you consider just getting the Grande Utopia as another solution? Think KJ trying to sell some now...

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Very interesting.....60k ex dem

I've always worked on the assumption that my room isn't quite big enough for the Grandes.

Might have to sleep on that one :confused:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Very interesting.....60k ex dem

I've always worked on the assumption that my room isn't quite big enough for the Grandes.

Might have to sleep on that one :confused:

Those can produce obscenely loud and deep bass with a lot of pressure. I remember a demo of these with the NAIM statement at the hifi news show and they had to mound a load of conference chairs against the rear fire door in a huge conference room when they played dance tracks - basically the bass pressure kept blowing the fire door open lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Bill, when I was a teen wannabe audiophile - too long ago to properly remember , that alone would have been enough to sell speakers to me.
Now...?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Another beautiful sunny day here in Scotland. Will hit the river with the dogs in a mo
Last year i bought some Intex inner tube style flotation devices, complete with drinks holder and floating cold box, attached with a cord
Life could be a lot worse....

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Those can produce obscenely loud and deep bass with a lot of pressure. I remember a demo of these with the NAIM statement at the hifi news show and they had to mound a load of conference chairs against the rear fire door in a huge conference room when they played dance tracks - basically the bass pressure kept blowing the fire door open lol.

They definitely talk my language in every area, except for dipoley-ness.
The Stellas seem effortless in my room, a room that laughed in the face of my Alon Phalanx.

So thats been the dilemma, dipole immersion v complete control of every frequency inside the room inna Focal stylee

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Well Bill, when I was a teen wannabe audiophile - too long ago to properly remember , that alone would have been enough to sell speakers to me.
Now...?

Innit :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing