Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The best Dipoles, Dipoles that can do bass?

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile Bill View Post
    Hi Baffled,

Yes this was on Vyger Indian. I just acquired a Vyger myself - please see my thread in the turntable forum. I have never heard analogue as good in my room as I am getting - utterly sota turntable. Definitely recommend checking one out!

In terms of BD4 - that is a driver that features in Pnoe and Axjet only - very big step up on a BD3. I have listened to a lot of single full range drivers for last 6 months straight including Voxativ, Stamm and AER. The BD4 is crazy good and very even handed - also can take enormous power versus say a Boxatic that would just rip up.
    I will take a peak at your Vyger thread 😊
    Yes it is the BD4 version I'm going for

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitely baffled View Post
    I will take a peak at your Vyger thread ��
    Yes it is the BD4 version I'm going for
    That will take 300 watts which is crazy. Enjoy - it is an incredible driver!

Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    Agree about the Divin...it did a lot right but somehow didn't inspire...other than awe at the size!! The other Goebel though I thought sounded poor. Did you get a chance to hear the Supravox open baffle prototype? They were in a little shoebox room on the ground floor. With a Line Magnetic SET they sounded GOOD and are only going to be around 10K euro. That speaker is dipole except the tweeter, which only radiates forward. Overall sensitivity was like 95db as well.
    You couldn't sit far away enough from it for the panel to integrate with the dynamic drivers. The room was a joke. No way it could perform. Shame.

Missed the Supravox.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    You couldn't sit far away enough from it for the panel to integrate with the dynamic drivers. The room was a joke. No way it could perform. Shame.

Missed the Supravox.
    I wasn’t at the show but heard enough to shake my head. I have the new Aeon Fine in my listening room and it is the most engaging speaker I have ever heard. It’s setup properly, totally disappears and it sounds like it was a real sh-t show at Munich by comparison. as The “ second Gobel Room” wasn’t a Gobel room but a Vitus room.

Personally, I never would have allowed my new speaker to have been shown the way I heard it was BUT that’s me.

Unfortunately people judge based on these shows as time is limited to audition it all and shows have come to provide the end user a first step forward if they are looking for new.

I think the Gobel people learned a lesson based on the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    See your pix and raise you a Munich version...LoL
    Attachment 40882
    I thought the mid range and treble performance of this speaker was outstanding for a cone. Very high resolution for a cone with outstanding clarity. Had a long chat with the speaker designer. He reckons they can do 32 Hz.

However, I played Etherwood's "Begin by letting go" on the speaker, then went to the Bohne room and played the same track. The Bohne room's presentation of the bass was so radically different it was crazy, with two huge subs and large cones on the main speakers. The short ribbons in the Bohne were a little edgy by comparison, certainly not as good as Graz's Duetta MRT ribbons for the Duetta.

So I think that drive unit is seriously great, but one has to be realistic about what it can achieve when it comes to bass in a horn design like this. Regular large cones will and do kill it for bass weight and extension.

The true full range one drive unit speaker remains a dream. But this drive unit impressed the hell out of me.

Very very interesting. And exciting.
    There's a number of opinions on whether i will still need my subs for the bottom octave.
    I guess we'll have to suck it and see

Since the title of this thread was about Dipoles, I've asked Joe Cohen of Lotus Group USA, manufacturer of the Granada open baffle loudspeakers, to come along and introduce himself and his loudspeakers.

He's aware of my decision regarding the Pnoes, but i remain interested in Open Baffle loudspeakers that can do bass, and since he has some interesting solutions i felt it might make for a useful resource to have him contribute here.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitely baffled View Post
    Very very interesting. And exciting.
    There's a number of opinions on whether i will still need my subs for the bottom octave.
    I guess we'll have to suck it and see
    I'd say it depends what music you like. Organ, reggae and high impact electronica and you'd need something after the initial thrill of that drive unit's mid/treble performance tells you you have no real deep bass.

I believe there is some trace of the material used for the horn causing some degree of colouration in the sound. But that's true of a lot of loudspeakers. It's there but it isn't that bad.

I think you'll really enjoy them. I wouldn't mind a few months with them I have to say. They grew on me as the demo went on.

Thank you very much for the invitation.

Name:  GranadaSm_2018.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  41.6 KB

In creating the Lotus Group Granada loudspeaker our aim was to join the qualities of a most sublime full range driver with real world bass performance. Its open baffle design affords ease of room interaction and a natural and organic presentation of the sound stage. Active bi-amplification provides a direct path between amplifier and driver. Multiple measurements were taken in our quasi-anechoic chamber to determine optimal slopes, adjust power response and to maximize linearity. Its room correction capability insures perfect mating to any room, and allows for fine tuning based on listener preference while remaining entirely within correct parameters. Our custom, hands-on calibration is included with installation.

We were honored to have the Granada included in the Absolute Sound’s, ‘Illustrated History of High End Audio’, Loudspeaker Edition.

Forum members who find themselves in or near Northern California Wine Country are welcome to stop by for an audition.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast