The love of Conrad Johnson & Benz Micro!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G’day to all, & Greetings from Melbourne, the love of Conrad Johnson & Benz Micro!

It seems like the BM-Glider SM has now reached the 20hr mark and over… and I’m ecstatic to report the tremendous aspects of sound quality and overall improvement on the RP3.
I’ve just had another 4am session and had to force myself to shut down, since the work week actually starts today around 3pm. The three major areas that have now evolved onto a completely higher level of refinement and music reproduction are as follows:
1. The level of detail is unbelievable, one that not only comes forth with great impact and presence but also a sort of limitless in the palpability.
2. The bass is now greater than before and more controlled, especially in the mid-bass to lower bass regions, such that I have now turned down bass levels further on the Martin Logan’s (Ethos) to -6.
3. The most significant of all is that organic tone, it comes through effortlessly and the variations of the full freq spec is just superb!

There are no overhang/over-tones, smudges or any artifices of that sort, just razor-sharp quality from top to bottom, with superb focus, definition and musicality, I simply cannot flaw anything other than the room of course. Hence, listening sessions are much quieter and allow the sound to propel into the room at lower levels. Therefore, it is not required at all to turn up anything to enjoy superb musicality at its finest. On certain tracks I would certainly like to open up and experience that sheer dynamic outburst but I cannot since the room is small and the bass drivers cause air-borne vibrations that are picked up by the cartridge. However, at this level, which I am not used to, is certainly a wonderful activity to experience just once in a while… The CJ Act2 partnered with the Premier 350 comes to mind when this explosiveness happens, that sheer transient control and powerful impact is a delight, yet nothing forced just cruising…

Although I still enjoy listening to digital, and the big McIntosh SACD player for that matter, this fairly simple analog rig (compared to the majority of high-end ones out there…) it simply outclasses the digital by a very far margin. On the other hand, I don’t think it is fair to compare digital vs analog, simply because they are just different mediums (and this has been discussed before numerous times…).

The only point I’m trying to make is that I have a number of duplicate albums on CD/SACD as well. The few most significant ones that I played and enjoyed on digital were: Norah Jones (come away with me), Casandra Wilson (Traveling Miles & New Moon Daughter), George Benson & Earl Klugh (collaboration on Japanese pressing) and Miles Davis (Kind of Blue). I played these at length for quite a while checking every aspect of the music and its recorded sound, and it was great! Then I played these same albums on the RP3, just a completely different level of refinement, tonality and sheer brilliance of recorded music on vinyl, one word or rather two words “my god…” hence no point comparing.

Just about prior to all of this delight, I was venturing towards the new Mac Dac and transport separates, which both combined would have set me about 20 grand! Holding back and thinking about it now, what a waste! Hence, if I had spent 20 grand on a TT rig, now we’re talking… and having said that, I can truly imagine what you folks are experiencing on your top quality TT’s- must be just marvellous!
Although it was nearly 30 years ago, I remember rushing out for a high school basket ball final, which we lost badly… although I managed to score what was required, the other team just smashed us out of the park. My good old pops was setting up a personal home demo for a valued friend who was very interested in the Apogee Diva’s. So although I had to be on court within the hour, I decided to hold off just a few 20 mins for this demo. The level of transparency from the simple analog rig (Dual TT & later on a Linn TT), driven with ARC & Krell Class A monoblocks for the back end and that wonderful CJ ART preamp, was just heavenly. That sound was and is still embed in my head, and he played a LP from a jazz-fusion band called Oregon, wow!

Fast fwd three decades and I heard this group at my good mates place (Mr. Kostas) on his CLX’s! Yesterday, I picked up six second hand LP’s from a refurbish store downtown, out of which two were Oregon, recorded in 1973! Oregon in Concert and Distant Hills. Although not super quiet but no pops or clicks, that sound and music came back to me in an instant! The BM Glider picks up every nuance and micro detail flawlessly, and the CJ amps along with the Martin Logan’s delivers all that you can possibly want from good original recordings.

Good night to all and do sleep tight! To analog and digital lovers, enjoy that music!
Cheers, & big loud woof! RJ

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Congrats ! from another lover of CJ and Benz Micro !

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Congratulations ! Benz Micro's sound signature suits me as well.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Congrats ! from another lover of CJ and Benz Micro !

Hello there Dave,

thanks for the reply. just wondering what type/model of CJ amplification are you using with your Benz Micro cart?
are you using the CJ Tea1/2se by any chance... which is another superb phono-preamp if anyone wants to include a tube phonostage into their systems.

Cheers and do me know, RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Congratulations ! Benz Micro's sound signature suits me as well.

Very nice speakers Joeling! Those ProAc's are glorious, one of the very few dynamic designs I do enjoy. They cost quite a pretty penny down under though but I guess with the right amplification they are superb musical instruments. The depth and imaging on ProAc's is marvelous.

I clearly remember when listening to ProAc's for the first time: back in 89, the guru of Quad ESL's in Colombo. An old wise chap who actually passed away few years ago, had both the Quad 57's and 63's. His 63's were placed on Gradient subs and he was using two monoblocks to control the bass with active cross-overs. The Quads were driven with the wonderful CJ Premier 11. After that home demo, the limited stint began with our CJ dealership also offering electro-stat lines such as ML's, Quads and Jansen's. Later on Maggies, Apogee's and so on... The ironic thing was whenever his Quads were down, which was quite often, he would disappear into his secret back room, where he kept some priceless vintage gear (including the original Ongaku amps from Kondo) and emerge with a small 2-way monitor on stands. Hooked them up to the Premier 11 and it was this one place where I just couldn't get up and leave until the wee hours in the morning. They were the ProAc Tablet's, and later on he acquired larger ProAc's. They do have a truly remarkable sound reproduction that is so seductive, when the Quads were ready for fixing up again, none of us even bothered.

I noticed that you are using SS amplification, Gryphon & Naim Statement (another marvelous amplifier I had the pleasure of listening to driving Audio Analysis Ribbons); have you tried tubes with your ProAc's? If so what were your initial reactions/findings and what lead you to settle for SS to drive the ProAc's?
I strongly believe I can learn a critical point here with your choice of amplification for ProAc's...

Cheers mate, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing