IMG_5352.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_5350.JPG
    IMG_5350.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 211

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Nice room and system. I guess we know you love analog tape? ;)

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Thank you. Yes, I've collected a few decks over the years and lots of prerecorded tapes, Here's a photo that shows an Ampex 351 transport I built and a deHavilland 222 tape playback amplifier

Attachments

• IMG_5353.JPG
    IMG_5353.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 191

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Very nice! What sub is this

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
I can't say enough good things about the Janis, low coloration, great bass definition, accurate transient response and the connecting Interphase makes getting a good blend with whatever speaker is being used with it remarkably easy.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Is that a Maplenoll Signature on a butchers block ? That’s my setup! Are you using the dampening trough? What cartridge are you using ? I have the CLS’s in walnut with 2 Vandersteen subs in my second system fantastic vocals. That sub of yours is beautiful !

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Get them on stands . They will give you more . Older Arcici Type design is whats needed as they brace them too. Panel sway is a issue that blurs the sound .. I had CLS Walnuts and built my stands ! 1215293960.jpg

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Yes, it's a Maplenoll Signature with a Shelter 901 cartridge that has had a replacement cantilever and stylus done by Soundworks. I do use the damping trough and have modified the tonearm by adding damping material to the inside and applied a coating to control resonance. I use a Bent Audio Silver transformer and Tom Tutay designed phono stage.
I already have the Sound Anchor speaker stands ready once I've got the ideal room placement determined (almost there). They give ideal support and lift the speaker up nicely. The walnut CLS look beautiful and the contrasting red panel really sets them off perfectly.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, it's a Maplenoll Signature with a Shelter 901 cartridge that has had a replacement cantilever and stylus done by Soundworks. I do use the damping trough and have modified the tonearm by adding damping material to the inside and applied a coating to control resonance. I use a Bent Audio Silver transformer and Tom Tutay designed phono stage.
I already have the Sound Anchor speaker stands ready once I've got the ideal room placement determined (almost there). They give ideal support and lift the speaker up nicely. The walnut CLS look beautiful and the contrasting red panel really sets them off perfectly.
Are you using a motor controller ? The Phoenix Engineering models work great with the added convenience of speed reading if you can find them. The Walker is very good too. If you need a new belt, i recommend custom ordering the right length from Origin Live, these are great improvement on the original. Stay away from LP gear they don’t have the right belt, and will send you a totally wrong one.I will never buy anything from that company again, scam artists!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Is there even the remotest of hopes that we keep this thread within reason...On Track please guys!

I quite concur, the CLS's respond very well to aftermarket stands lifting and decoupling them from the room floor, particully were sub woofers are also deployed.

They also benefit notably from any additional bracing to the frame altho not always a simple task without drilling and Bolting entering into the equation , one of the reasons I descided upon the CLX Anniversary was in part he substantial billet aircraft grade aluminium frame that clamps the panel's in a vice like grip, even on Wagner esk high SPLs the frame and importantly the panel's display vanishingly low to zero resonance to the touch and the ears.

In many ways I think that CLS MKII in a nice timber finish are the arguably most aesthetically and room/WAF friendly full range transducer yet manufactured by ML.

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
The Sound Anchor speaker stands have two metal braces that go from the frame sides down to the stand. They do require holes to be drilled into the wood, a bit unnerving but with a sharp bit it's not too bad.
I've been listening to the speakers and switching back and forth between the two crossover configurations and haven't formed a concrete opinion what the sound difference is. I suspect it's mostly related to how the driving amplifiers react to the crossovers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I HAD THE CLS1 WITH APAIR OF Janis w3.

P.S. i HAD THE SOUND ANCHOR STANDS FFOR A WHILE.

Last edited:

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
If I remember correctly the Janis was a popular choice with CLS owners along with Velodyne ULS18 and Vandersteen Model One subwoofers.

apogee

Oct 5, 2013
Have the same did you ever dream of having another pair of speaker,and what is it
i think i will change for wilson audio sasha
pierre

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
Hello Pierre,
I have owned lots of speakers over the years, KLH 9, Tympani IV, Spica TC50 and Harbeth HL5 and I could easily live with any of them and be very happy. All that has to happen is that while I'm listening to a record or tape a little awareness moment has to happen inside my brain that tells me I'm enjoying real music and I'm satisfied. Plus I like to build things and the more mechanical it is the better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing