La Donna Mobile (as well as the audiophile)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
After being used for some years as main speakers, the Wilson Audio XLF's have left. Although I consider them without any doubt the best speaker I have ever listened, an impatient and envious audiophile made an irresistible offer and after a lot of parliamentary talk with my distributor and the few usual advisers I accepted to sell what I considered my final speaker ... :eek: . However, it would be unwise not to take the opportunity - it is now an almost seven years old model, and a little bird from the other side of the sea told me that a replacement model is coming.

The good news is that while waiting for the XLF mk2, ;) I am re-listening to SoundLab A1 PX again. No, the A1 PX are not comparable to the XLF. But, once we tune a system for them they are great speakers, and in my room they have large scale - I do not feel my music shrink, although it is less realistic than it was before.

Simply replacing the XLFs by the Soundlab's was not an immediate success, although they had been burning-in for two weeks. The cj GAT2 and the ART sounded powerful and room filling, but too generous and uncontrolled in the bass. David (DDK) had told me in the past that my Lamm M1.2 would be a good candidate for the SoundLabs. Used with the GAT2 it improved things, but it was not a seamless mix, as I had found with the ARC REF40. Although loud, it seemed to lack drive and power. Changing cables looms improved but did not solve the issue. Fortunately after a long wait I had been to find a mint used Lamm L2 ref and it arrived in the proper moment. Driven by the L2 the M1.2 gained a life-ness and "joie de vivre" , an absence of electronics and simultaneously were a perfect drive of the SoundLabs. As usually I have calibrated and checked power and sound levels and even the electrical match it is perfect with Vivaldi DAC at 2V - at loud levels I get no more than 23V RMS (66 W at 8 ohms) peaks at 12 o´clock volume position. (The SoundLab have the torroid II upgrade that increased efficiency and sound quality). The bass cut-off of the L2 with the M1.2 is at the exact point for Soundlabs, preventing panel over-excursion at bass peaks and creating slam in the bass.

Although quite different what both the current and old system have is the capability of recreating the atmospheric detail and grandiosity of a symphonic orchestra playing complex music - the continuity of music spreading along sections. Jazz and ancient music also passed the test. And I know which recordings I should avoid ...

I should add that all this was possible after the four large (2'x4'x1.5') tuned bass traps were taken out from the room. They were calculated to be matched to the XLF and completely killed the SoundLabs. The RPG abfusors were also returned to their place in the front wall corners. Still considering to connect the JLAudio F113's to the system.

All IMHO and in my room and system, surely!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After being used for some years as main speakers, the Wilson Audio XLF's have left. Although I consider them without any doubt the best speaker I have ever listened... it is now an almost seven years old model, and a little bird from the other side of the sea told me that a replacement model is coming.

The good news is that while waiting for the XLF mk2, ;) I am re-listening to SoundLab A1 PX again. ...

WHAT?!?!?! Tell us more!...a new XLF?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
WHAT?!?!?! Tell us more!...a new XLF?

Only a suspicion, but it is time for it! Wilson has now replaced all the models except the XLF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only a suspicion, but it is time for it! Wilson has now replaced all the models except the XLF.

true...but that remains big news in any event, particularly given that the primary place to look for clues as to what such a new model would be...is the WAMM.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Francisco, these new ones will prove to be your final FINAL spkrs?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So Francisco, these new ones will prove to be your final FINAL spkrs?

The only FINAL speakers I have owned were electrostatics from Holland. :) Unfortunately I do not have good memories from them, although I enjoyed a lot the Audiostatic E300 electrostatics coming from the same country.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not sure if what I heard is true but if so will burst your bubble

I’m hearing that there is indeed a replacement for the XLF but it ain’t a Mk lol but rather an entirely different speaker on a totally different platform.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if what I heard is true but if so will burst your bubble

I’m hearing that there is indeed a replacement for the XLF but it ain’t a Mk lol but rather an entirely different speaker on a totally different platform.

Intriguing...any details besides 'different platform'? Presumably this is intended to sit directly underneath the WAMM?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
micro, are we ever going to see a picture of your system? I believe there was just one, years ago, showing a small room?!??!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
micro, are we ever going to see a picture of your system? I believe there was just one, years ago, showing a small room?!??!

I have posted a few along the years, although not a tidy room and in permanent evolution. The room is 9,5 x 4 ~ 4,6 x 2.4 meters, not feet! If I had two extra meters wideness I could dream about the WAMMs (and have nightmares about how to pay them ...) :D .

Currently I have to walk carefully to avoid stepping on cable looms and amplifiers!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow micro, so right now the Lamms are your choice to drive the Soundlabs over AR and CJ?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have posted a few along the years, although not a tidy room and in permanent evolution. The room is 9,5 x 4 ~ 4,6 x 2.4 meters, not feet! If I had two extra meters wideness I could dream about the WAMMs (and have nightmares about how to pay them ...) :D .

Currently I have to walk carefully to avoid stepping on cable looms and amplifiers!

So you have secretly added diffusors on the ground, that might be part of the taiko ( many Little boxes) succes as , well, lol

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow micro, so right now the Lamms are your choice to drive the Soundlabs over AR and CJ?

Yes. The M1.2 hybrid + L2 preamplifier manage to have a control on the bass of SoundLabs that tube amplifiers do not manage. As my room is very long and I place them at the wider part of the room, starting around 2.5m from the front wall, my main issue with the A1's has always been excessive bass. It is why I already have the materials to transform the back wall in a very large tuned bass trap - the big problem is removing a single piece enormous book-shelve and all its contents! The XLFs only needed four "smaller" bass traps in the front corners.

Before the XLFs I was less critical of this aspect ...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Micro,

best wishes for your next adventure. we will all be watching.

likely the XLF investigations, like Marty with his big Wilsons, have uncovered some opportunities for you.

Steve Williams

Intriguing...any details besides 'different platform'? Presumably this is intended to sit directly underneath the WAMM?

Yes it is to sit below the WAMM

I've heard that the XLF will be retired

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I would accept your comment regarding lamm (hybride)versus tubes , only if you would have tried Cat, these are not ordinary tube Amps im telling you certainly not on your easy to drive Wilsons.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding the Wamm , im not so sure your gonna add more scale bass extension compared to the xlf.
Might be even less.
I think the xlf still has the focal woofers , not?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its a complete different design and Will have its own unique strength off course.
But iirc they use 13 -15 hard paper pulp , compared to 13 - 15 inch focal audiom woofers which have a complete different membranetype.
For that they have added 2 mid bass drivers , so might be a bit more , might be even might be less .
Proof is in the hearing.
I thought it was meant to be a 2 towerdesign was it not ?

Steve Williams

Its a complete different design and Will have its own unique strength off course.
But iirc they use 13 -15 hard paper pulp , compared to 13 - 15 inch focal audiom woofers which have a complete different membranetype

although I have not heard the WAMM by all accounts the bass is superb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing