Network bridge? What is it? Does one choose it over a server/streamer?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Seen a couple of components now called “network bridge”.

First the DCS, now the Metrum Ambre.

Does this network bridge take the place of servers/streamers? Or is it an add-on device?

If it’s an alternative to servers/streamers, what are the deciding factors as to whether one would buy a network bridge, or a server/steamer?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Streamer is the device that accepts files and plays them (like from a hd or internet)
Server is a computer program that accepts instructions to process various files at the instruction of other software ... it accesses the files and sends them on to the streamer
The bridge is what joins separate networks together into a whole
All you would need to do in your case is to run a server on a computer (like logitech media server (LMS) or Roon) into a streamer like a squeezebox touch or the like connected to your hifi (you can either send wirelessly or hard wired)
You dont need a bridge

A used squeezebox touch would cost you little money , under $300.. the LMS server software comes free and you run LMS or ROON on a reasonably specced laptop ($500) and use a tablet to control it ($300)
Simple and easy, especially if you use roon

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rodney, thanks.
The Bluesound Node looks v promising, at £500.
As you say, install the home use laptop downstairs with Roon, connect it to the Bluesound, thence to dac, and I’m up and running.
I have runs of Cat6 from hub up to the listening room.
I’m hoping this would also allow me to run a wireless streaming system downstairs too.
Just need to choose an appropriate price/performance dac.
Bluesound/Tablet £1k.
Maybe something like a Metrum Amethyst dac for a similar price?
I’ll be really curious if an outlay of £2-3k to incl this gear, cbls and isolation platform, will generally satisfy me, and allow me to enter this world to a level not embarrassed by my main source components.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Wired is more reliable , so go that way if possible..dont get too hung up on whats sending the digits in terms of special "audiophile" computers or isolation tables etc.. its the DAC and whats after it that matters..every month there is a new Dac that comes out and is better than sliced bread..so take your pick...
With a squeezebox touch , you wont really need the bluesound.
Roon sees the touch as an endpoint (wired or wirelessly)
Roon on a Laptop/computer somewhere else on the network to Touch and to your dac...tablet for control
oh and dont forget a tidal subscription....
PS the SBTouch has a dac built in..its not up there with top notch dacs but its not bad at all..
The metrum amethyst looks good on paper...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Rodney, thanks.
The Bluesound Node looks v promising, at £500.
As you say, install the home use laptop downstairs with Roon, connect it to the Bluesound, thence to dac, and I’m up and running.
I have runs of Cat6 from hub up to the listening room.
I’m hoping this would also allow me to run a wireless streaming system downstairs too.
Just need to choose an appropriate price/performance dac.
Bluesound/Tablet £1k.
Maybe something like a Metrum Amethyst dac for a similar price?
I’ll be really curious if an outlay of £2-3k to incl this gear, cbls and isolation platform, will generally satisfy me, and allow me to enter this world to a level not embarrassed by my main source components.

I am running a Bluesound Vault that I picked up used for 430 CHF and it works just fine. It is nice because it is also a NAS with a built-in 1T hard drive. The only downside is optical only out but that is ok because I run it optical into a Monarchy Audio DIP and then SPDIF out. You could use it direct into any optical input accepting DAC of course but Kassandra is Coax, AES/EBU or USB only. I use Qobuz streaming service through the BlueSound interface, which then allows you to seamlessly go to the vault where you have ripped your cds. Pretty nice system and sounds better than all the laptop based "servers" we have tried. Maybe still not as good as a dedicated Roon based system but easy to use and configure. Also, you can attach external drives to it as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brad, the Bluesound Node 2 incorporates a dac. There are a few other network players at the £500 price point, incl the Arcam R-Play etc.

For me, I think this is the way I may go, I’m totally unsure about (and tbh, wary of) streaming to invest anything more than £1k in dipping my toe in the digital water.

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
When using the bridge or any roon device, the pc or laptops quality will become a key factor also in the sonic result?

Thanks

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Not unless you use the computers sound card as a dac ....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing