Modifications to Maximize Sound Quality of Studer A820 for Repro Only

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have Nick's very first 2 units he ever built and they have been upgraded to the latest/greatest. I have also added 2 bal. outputs with one transformer balanced and the other deferentially balanced. If I could find better, I certainly have the means to. I haven't found anything!

Bruce, can you explain the difference between the 2 and why you wanted 2 different ones?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hey Andromeda (name please),

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to coax the best sound out of the tape machines I could afford for MANY years now.

I wouldn't begin to use the word "chewed out" for tape. You know that what is available now is dammed good (Don't you agree Mike L?). Can it be better? Maybe but only marginally. We have machines that handle (protect) the tape very nicely, heads that appear to "eek out" whatever the magnetic particles can tell us. And some dammed good (There I go again) electronics to process those the "tiny electrical signals". AND we have some great (tho expensive) source material.

From day one it was a rich man's hobby.

There was a discussion years back here in the annals about NEW tape machines, and musing about their potential benefits. I was skeptical then and still am that what we have can be "beaten". Now a few challengers may be arriving but I still think we're getting close to (asymptotically approaching) what the medium can offer. But then many are NEVER SATISFIED with the "old" -new MUST come and BE BETTER than what we currently have - if for no other reason than it's new.

And then there is, as my girlfriend calls it - the ever present, Dick-Measuring-Contest "effect".

I'm just trying to sit back and enjoy what I have.

"Keep your heads clean and your tails out"

Charles

Dear Charles,

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation and analysis.

So what would be your complete list of repro only modifications to an A820?

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
One can have an opinion even if it isn’t based on personal experience. Ask Bruce. He may have listened to other tape pres.

I'll bring the King / Cello along with adapters for the Nina on my next visit and we'll compare the three. Perhaps I could even lug a 'portable' ATR with direct outs with me for a true real-time comparison :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I'll bring the King / Cello along with adapters for the Nina on my next visit and we'll compare the three. Perhaps I could even lug a 'portable' ATR with direct outs with me for a true real-time comparison :)

Sounds like a plan.

Ron, you are welcomed to join to hear first hand.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for asking the questions Ron.

I’m going to break my response into 3 categories: balanced vs unbalanced - object to follow; cable length (to which I will add “terminations”) and head amplification, with your referencing the fixed gain playback head preamp in the Studer A8XX recorder headblocks.
(...)

Thanks for such enlightening words about the subject.

I would add that, as far as I know Atmasphere can supply a true balanced system from tape head to speaker output - I have read Ralph last version of the preamplfier has very low noise and he his supplying tape equalization as an alternative, and long ago I had a fully balanced system from Audio Research - the LS5mk3 and VT150SE. We had to get a balancing device , the BL2 to use SE devices ...

I think that the reason Studer included an head amp close to the head is related to their professional vocation. They want some thing that has the lowest noise possible and predictable. Their machines are used to generate copies or work that will be distributed, not to play in audiophile systems according to our preferences. IMHO the argument that we use long wires in our turntables is valid for analog lovers but not for them. Vinyl is too far away from tape for a professional. They know we use the tonearm wire to tune our systems! :)

As audiophiles, we know that the proof of the pudding is in listening. Only listening we will know what is the like better. There are compromises fitting the amplifier in the head block, mainly due to available size and delivery of power supply.

Just my 2 cents on the subject - I do not own any of the super head preamplifier, although I listened several times to the Doshi at friend system.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Oh well. But I sincerely appreciate the invitation!

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Ron,

My “simple” suggestion is nothing new. Wire the playback head out to connectors and add an external preamp.

However, let’s discuss some fine print.

Where to mount the preamp? You could check with others like Mike L. to see how he/they did it – from pics it appears that his pre is on the floor next to his left-hand deck (on Stillpoints!).

I did wire out two A812’s and mounted my pre directly to the cowling on the underside of the transport mechanism. Found I could drop the wires from the headblock “straight down” and into the pre through a hole drilled in the cowling. This got the total cable length down to no more than 18”. Another possibility is to get a shelf or table under the transport to support the preamp and bring the head cables out the same way.

Other considerations – do you ever consider recording with the deck? If so, you might want to have a switch added to the headblock that switches the output of the PB head to either the internal or external electronics. This can allow the meters to work on playback, with no other modifications. On the decks I converted, I did tap the output of my pre and feed it to the meter electronics in the bridge thru an added selector switch so you could monitor the level of either playback “choice”. However, with switching the head output you've added an additional "impediment?" for those “tiny signals”. Though I’ve never heard of a problem from those who have done it.

For a long while, there have been a number of threads relating to “improved” electronics, either on-card modifications or via whole new cards. There is a thread right now on Audionirvana relating to the A80. I don’t know how one “vouches for” the sonic results of any of these. From my own experience: like what ML did for the A80, any “improvements” should include both the reproduction AND attendant power supply circuitry.

THANKS and best wishes navigating your journey. Fortunately there are a number of folks who have made it to a safe and worthwhile landing!

Charles

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All good suggestions, thank you!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ron,

If your set on the best A820 available, buy one from Fred Thal with his built in head output card and buy a Doshi. That way you can playback perfect spec Studer repro and Doshi....$60k all in....

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ron,

If your set on the best A820 available, buy one from Fred Thal with his built in head output card and buy a Doshi. That way you can playback perfect spec Studer repro and Doshi....$60k all in....

I thought he only sells his fully mod A80 at $80k.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Christian, but I am exploring a single head repro only solution, with other desirable modifications (hence this thread), which does not involve an ATAE Model One or Model Two because, as Tang says, they are around $80,000.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Perhaps Fred can explain his product options . . .

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Perhaps Fred can explain his product options . . .

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your interest in ATAE.

We manufacture two products, the Model One and Model Two reproducers.

System pricing starts at $81,000.

There's introductory information on the website.

ataudioeng.com

We also manufacture our own headblocks for our reproducers.

Unfortunately, our headblocks do not fit onto the old Studer A820 and A80 recording machines, without extensive modification. So we do not sell these headblocks separately to the public.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing