Taiko Audio Setchi active groundbox has got a big brother - D3

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I wrote a review on Taiko Audio Setchi active groundbox D2 a few months ago :
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...er-groundbox-but-this-Setchi-is-quite-special

The new Setchi "3 Series" - D3 is available this month.
D3aa.jpg

Its again has a panzerholz enclosure and the size and weight are around 2x of D2.
D3b.jpg
D3c.jpg

Is the sound character of D3 a D2-on-steroid?
I did a direct shootout between D3 and D2.
They are sequentially applied on a "The Memory Player" (https://www.thememoryplayer.net/) which IMHO is one of the best two CAS severs in the market, the other being SGMS.
D3dd.jpg

D3 has an unexpected sonic character. The improvement is not on authority & dynamics.
It's ahead of D2 in term of soundstage depth, layering in the soundstage, quietness and most importantly it makes music more continuous & more analogue-like.
It immediately becomes a hot Taiko Audio item in Hong Kong.

Is it perfect?
No. Some audiophile friends of mine think that D3 will make the sound a bit too soft.
The solution is again mix & match.
D2 in general makes the sound more vivid.
We found that applying both D3 and D2 in a system will get the best of both worlds, but the ratio of D3/D2 must depends on owners' taste and the character of their systems.

In HK where there is no VAT, a D3 is around USD600 only.
It is almost a must for digital frontends and CAS.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I hope they have a trade up program...I have a bunch of #2 Setchi's

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I hope they have a trade up program...I have a bunch of #2 Setchi's

The D3 is not a D2 replacement. It does possess a "softer" overall balance which CK describes so well in his review. It is more of a successor to the D1 which never sold very well due to not being able to fully match the D2's overall performance but does also possess this "softer" quality which can be a desirable trait in brighter voiced systems. I would not recommend replacing all of your D2's with D3's but a few selective replacements could provide you with another nice uptick in overall system performance. I would consider replacing 1 or 2 D2's on your Roon Server and/or DCS Vivaldi stack. Ofcourse we will accommodate any replacements in your system. Customer satisfaction is our #1 priority. I will drop you an email.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks Emile

You guys are the best!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Emile

You guys are the best!

+1.

I have -3- Setchi D2's which help even with the Tripoint Elite in the neighborhood. 2 of the D2's are on the Tana's, and one on the dac box of the MSB connected to an RCA digital input (a Tripoint Thor SE grounding cable (connected to the Elite) is on grounding post the power supplies of the MSB).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing