You guys just THOUGHT you were fantatics, here's the real deal...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That's a lot of cans. And evidently most of them get a thumbs up.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great Link cjfrbw, thanks!

Uuhhm, in a lot of those pics, he is wearing a coat inside, I presume winter, and, perhaps money spent on headphones instead of heat! Or perhaps, turning off heat so he can hear more clearly...yeah...that is the reason I am going with.

Tom

Cans make good Ear Muffs too!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
He's no fanatic, he hasn't upgraded his cables yet for no apparent reason.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Man, his pics are begging for captions! :D

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
where are the Stax 009's and a BHSE?

i looked again, it's dated March 2009. before the 009's were out and very early in the BHSE run.

btw, there are quite a few headphone fanatics with 20+ headphones. there are dramatically more serious headphone fans than audiophiles.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
where are the Stax 009's and a BHSE?

i looked again, it's dated March 2009. before the 009's were out and very early in the BHSE run.

btw, there are quite a few headphone fanatics with 20+ headphones. there are dramatically more serious headphone fans than audiophiles.

And the headphone fans can have them all. I do not like wearing and listening to headphones. It's like trying to take a shower with your clothes on. And I wonder what percentage of people listen to headphones at home based on desire and not necessity? I know some guys can't turn up their systems because their wives would beat them to death and they are sentenced to a life of can listening.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
BHSE is a circuit topology, rather than a brand. It is based on the push pull stator nature of the electrostatic headphones, much like OTL amps with electrostatic speakers.

I heard a high order BHSE build with 009 at the California headphone show. I thought it was detailed but raw sounding with that amp. The BHSE was addressed to the 007 and its manifest lack of efficiency, a problem the 009 does not suffer from to the same extent. I actually prefer the sound of a traditional Stax 5n type with transformer and 300b tube. However, the 009 would also probably sound better with a different amp.

The young headphone turks are opposed to transformer coupling on principle, sort of like the objectivists are opposed to tubes, but I think the BHSE would benefit greatly from transformer coupling and a tube rectified power supply.

I have actually come to enjoy headphone listening quite a bit, out of necessity as mep states in Santa Cruz, but with some dedication and adaptation it can be a great experience.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
BHSE is a circuit topology, rather than a brand. It is based on the push pull stator nature of the electrostatic headphones, much like OTL amps with electrostatic speakers.

I heard a high order BHSE build with 009 at the California headphone show. I thought it was detailed but raw sounding with that amp. The BHSE was addressed to the 007 and its manifest lack of efficiency, a problem the 009 does not suffer from to the same extent. I actually prefer the sound of a traditional Stax 5n type with transformer and 300b tube. However, the 009 would also probably sound better with a different amp.

The young headphone turks are opposed to transformer coupling on principle, sort of like the objectivists are opposed to tubes, but I think the BHSE would benefit greatly from transformer coupling and a tube rectified power supply.

I have actually come to enjoy headphone listening quite a bit, out of necessity as mep states in Santa Cruz, but with some dedication and adaptation it can be a great experience.

Blue Hawaii is a circuit type. BHSE is a particular amplifier as built by Headamp. i also heard it at RMAF with the 009's and i can hear a little of what you refer to. BUT......it's a completely different experience when power grid (Equi=tech iso transformer), preamp (darTZeel) and source (Playback Design) are used with this combo in my system....compared to a $500 CD player/dac at a show. the resolution of both the BHSE and the 009's become an asset when the context is fully optimized. i compare the BHSE-009's directly to my MM3's and dart electronics and it is impressive. if that is raw sounding then so is my speaker set-up.:)

i also have the Aristaeus Headamp and the SRM-717.

to my ears the 300b based amps don't have the precsion and detail to keep up when everything is right. when the context is more modest then the 300b does sound smoother.

i've not listened to the DIY Blue Hawaii builds so i can't comment directly. i have seen pictures of some of the DIY builds and they don't compare in build quality to the Headamp version.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
And the headphone fans can have them all. I do not like wearing and listening to headphones. It's like trying to take a shower with your clothes on.

+1. Like sex with a raincoat on....I do understand the necessity when living conditions require you to be quite. That's one of the benefits of being setup in the basement. I can play all hours of the night without disturbing the neighbors. I certainly don't miss the days of apartment living when I was young and had to use headphones At night.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
+1. Like sex with a raincoat on....I do understand the necessity when living conditions require you to be quite. That's one of the benefits of being setup in the basement. I can play all hours of the night without disturbing the neighbors. I certainly don't miss the days of apartment living when I was young and had to use headphones At night.

my room is in a barn, in the middle of 5 acres in the mountains. noise is not an issue. my reason for getting into headphones was pure curiosity; how good could they get? could i hear detail that i could not with my speakers? it was an itch i had to scratch.

i've scratched it.

can't say i'll still have headphones in 6 months.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
can't say i'll still have headphones in 6 months.

I like using them when I'm setting/monitoring channel levels (balance) while recording dubs just to better make sure I have things right...and that is only for a few minutes. Other than that, they stay off my head. I had Stax electrostats along time ago. I do remember they sounded good, but were a bit lean on th bass.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Blue Hawaii is a circuit type. BHSE is a particular amplifier as built by Headamp. i also heard it at RMAF with the 009's and i can hear a little of what you refer to. BUT......it's a completely different experience when power grid (Equi=tech iso transformer), preamp (darTZeel) and source (Playback Design) are used with this combo in my system....compared to a $500 CD player/dac at a show. the resolution of both the BHSE and the 009's become an asset when the context is fully optimized. i compare the BHSE-009's directly to my MM3's and dart electronics and it is impressive. if that is raw sounding then so is my speaker set-up.:)

i also have the Aristaeus Headamp and the SRM-717.

to my ears the 300b based amps don't have the precsion and detail to keep up when everything is right. when the context is more modest then the 300b does sound smoother.

i've not listened to the DIY Blue Hawaii builds so i can't comment directly. i have seen pictures of some of the DIY builds and they don't compare in build quality to the Headamp version.

Electronics were Accuphase, and 300b's sound neither soft, un-detailed nor rolled off with headphones, pending different tube types.

But with all of your brand name firepower, you have to be 100 percent right. Feel better?

I am not interested in peddling Rolex audiophilia, just sound quality. It may come as a terrible shock, but that does come at many price points.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing