Lampi pacific in the House

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Obviously you preferred your austrian analogue 211 amps over the PP KT150 Ayons.
Can you describe the differences?

It's not that the Ayons can rock a duetta, but they were better than his 211s. He will disagree but he is biased on those 211s. I sold my Ayons after hearing there, I would have sold the 211s too. The Ayon tone was easily better. What struck me is that Parasound, despite having lesser tone, opened up the duettas. Clearly showing that a quality SS amp with Parasounds drive and power can do both

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In Lampi news, the UK distro and I tried Justin's RK 300b, my PX25 at his place with KR05 pre, Yamamoto pre, and Thoress, Cube Audio (14w EL84), Yamamoto 45 and KR VA 200 power amps. The latter KR and Thoress were used only on his fantastic Emme speakers, the Yamamoto and Cube were used on his small DIY horns.

The PX25 was consistently better than the RK 300b with all combos where the KR recti and the masher was used. At Justin's too I had preferred the PX25 with his active pre, and preferred the Lampi 45s with his Airtight passive pre.

I then changed to the Ayon 5u4g recti. Immediately, the RK 300b sounded the best, and the PX25 did not sound good.

Overall, the combo of Ayon recti + RK 300b was tonally better, more air, and better midrange, suitable more for vocals, violins, woodwinds. The KR/masher recti + PX25 had a bit more ooomph, and was as good on some tracks, a bit less on others. I would keep both. Very different. We also tried the Ayon 32b which was nice, but you can't leave it on for too long as the Lampi is not built for it...if someone wants to use it they will need to customise their Lampi to deliver a different setting.

We could not compare the RX PX4, but will do so at some point to the PX25 and with the Ayon recti. Will also try on the Pacific at some point.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
In Lampi news, the UK distro and I tried Justin's RK 300b, my PX25 at his place with KR05 pre, Yamamoto pre, and Thoress, Cube Audio (14w EL84), Yamamoto 45 and KR VA 200 power amps. The latter KR and Thoress were used only on his fantastic Emme speakers, the Yamamoto and Cube were used on his small DIY horns.

The PX25 was consistently better than the RK 300b with all combos where the KR recti and the masher was used. At Justin's too I had preferred the PX25 with his active pre, and preferred the Lampi 45s with his Airtight passive pre.

I then changed to the Ayon 5u4g recti. Immediately, the RK 300b sounded the best, and the PX25 did not sound good.

Overall, the combo of Ayon recti + RK 300b was tonally better, more air, and better midrange, suitable more for vocals, violins, woodwinds. The KR/masher recti + PX25 had a bit more ooomph, and was as good on some tracks, a bit less on others. I would keep both. Very different. We also tried the Ayon 32b which was nice, but you can't leave it on for too long as the Lampi is not built for it...if someone wants to use it they will need to customise their Lampi to deliver a different setting.

We could not compare the RX PX4, but will do so at some point to the PX25 and with the Ayon recti. Will also try on the Pacific at some point.

No 242 Magic in this compare?
You really liked the Ayon recti? For me it is "just" like the EML equivalent...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No 242 Magic in this compare?
You really liked the Ayon recti? For me it is "just" like the EML equivalent...

Like I said... It sounded great with the RK 300b not with the others. So you need to redo your compare when you get the RK.

The 242 and Lampi 45s don't sound as good in this set up

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Like I said... It sounded great with the RK 300b not with the others. So you need to redo your compare when you get the RK.

The 242 and Lampi 45s don't sound as good in this set up

I had Normans RK 300b for some time and the Ayon recti from my Ayon Crossfire amp.
Pity I didn't know about the lucky Ayon - RK 300b Combi back then.
Maybe in the future there will be another chance to try that...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Hi Pac folk.

MY Pacific BAL just arrived this afternoon.

After unpacking it, im having issues power it on. I have an email into fred, but maybe someone can tell me if im performing the right steps.

Unit is plugged in, Switched to 115v and the switch is glowing in the ON position.
Ive moved the rectifier (5G4U) and tubes (PX4) from my GG2 and used the two addl tiny tubes that shipped with the PAC.

I think that I would push the volume button to power up the DAC ( Similar to the ring on the GG2), but No Joy.

Thanks,
John

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
No remote control?
No button under the front faceplate?

Thanks for the replies, I wasnt aware of the button on the bottom - Now Powered up.

Neither the Pac remote or the GG2 remote appeared to do anything until I pressed the ring button on the bottom.
The Pac remote is still not working, but the GG2 remote appears to control the Pac just fine.

I need to dig thru the case to see if there was an owners manual included. I didnt notice one when I unpacked the

Thx All

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Press ON for the Pac remote first. Also check the batteries.

jturbo

Jan 20, 2018
Lexington, KY
Playing with the roon interface on the PAC.

One item that I have noticed.
Under Roon, it is showing a green light, and the device as ShairportSync.

Is this what everyone else is seeing using roon? I was assuming that it would be using the RAAT protocol.

John

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
This time Pacific visited Stenheim demo room where paired with Alumine 5, Nagra Classic Int amp and Aurender created magic...

IMG_4615.JPG IMG_4613.JPG IMG_4610.JPG IMG_4592.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Awesome. Kicking myself for missing it but couldn't come

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing