Lampi pacific in the House

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Al - really enjoying it you have obviously thought carefully and put some effort into it. I can feel the love:)

I've just ordered some KR 300B RK, so be interesting to hear you opinion on those. I've had some "secret" upgrades done to my early hardwired Big 7, which I am very happy with - well exceeding expectations from an SQ point of view. It doesn't correspond to any current Lampi model, so making comparisons is a bit worthless.

The RK does look better made than the PX4 I have from KR, I was inspecting them closely at Munich.

Did they supply a pair of T-100 with the DAC, or the RK 300B?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
In the pics to left of the dac is a two black boxes
They are your tubes. 300b and the 5u4g recti
Next up is the massive tube rolling part.
I also have two other lampi dacs here until they go
My headdac is a gg2 of sorts.
End of this week is the start of tube rolling
What I will say for you in-short is the tubes you bought are more refined and more detailed over the px4.
A clear upgrade in looks and sound.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Well my DAC has come back optimised for it so it will be interesting to see if it can beat my all time favourite the Sylvania VT-52, which it has never been optimised for.

At more than 5 times the price, I'd hope so, but I like the VT-52 so much I'd be really surprised.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
That would be interesting if you don't mind.

If you have the Sylvania ones specifically then use those.

I will post a picture of mine to see if we are talking exactly the same valve.

Then I will post the same compare when the RKs comes through to see how close our impressions are.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Impressions? Justin seldom gets impressed

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hahaha funny guy. Truth is I have Abbot 50 or 60 pairs of tubes
Adaptors needed for some.
Post what you have and let’s see. My gg headdac is more inline with the pacific or newer dacs like yours I had it made neutral drove Lucas crazy. I also have a B7 point to point as well three trannies inside and plastic top

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Here we go.

I don't find it particularly impressive or hyped in any one parameter, which is probably why I keep returning to it.

Of them all, or all I own, it is the most even handed. That's why it rules to my ears.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
By memory not notes I have them for sure as for sound not really a key player by memory
Not saying they are bad
The cunning ham tubes area 45 that also are nice but if I play loud they don’t have the jump I like but st lower volumes nice.
I promise to compare and post notes as well.
Thank NORMAN for the many many many tubes I own lol

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Hahaha funny guy. Truth is I have Abbot 50 or 60 pairs of tubes
Adaptors needed for some.
Post what you have and let’s see. My gg headdac is more inline with the pacific or newer dacs like yours I had it made neutral drove Lucas crazy. I also have a B7 point to point as well three trannies inside and plastic top

That's good. Lots of space and flexibility to do what you want with it in terms of mods. Not restricted to a PCB.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
By memory not notes I have them for sure as for sound not really a key player by memory
Not saying they are bad
The cunning ham tubes area 45 that also are nice but if I play loud they don’t have the jump I like but st lower volumes nice.
I promise to compare and post notes as well.
Thank NORMAN for the many many many tubes I own lol

I can believe it:)

My PX4s will come back soon, someone else has them at the mo. Be interesting to see how they perform as I have had the output dropped a bit, so they should be better with my preamp.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Al

I am eagerly awaiting the results of your tube rolling as I am interested in the Pacific in my system

Can you or anyone reading this comment on the selection of the following tubes.....does anyone use them with their Pacific

the KR 5U4G Ricardo Kron Special Edition Rectifier with the KR Ricardo Kron Special Edition 300B music tubes.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Steve, that's the best rectifier along with the Takatsuki, different flavors.

The output tubes do work differently in different systems, depending on total gain and some sort of match with the preamp. When the right tubes are in, dynamics and drive go to different levels, noise floor drops, and music just flows. Much like when you take out a mismatched cart and put in one that matches the phono well. So matches across systems are sometimes, but not always, consistent.

At least, this was the case with GG and would expect it to be with the Pacific, because different tubes have different outputs. Best is to try. The Lampi community can share, you can roll, and a couple will work better than others. This match is different from preference

The Lampi always sounded at its best when the 242 worked. By far. But it often didn't

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Point is it will work depending on the pre amp match and the gain of the system. It is tough to say without trying.

It will fit in to the Pacific and will have a voltage setting switch. It might work in your Pacific in one system and not in another.

That is mainly 242 though. Others were more consistent.

But I would try 2 to 3 tubes and 242 to in mine to tune to my system.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Here we go.

I don't find it particularly impressive or hyped in any one parameter, which is probably why I keep returning to it.

Of them all, or all I own, it is the most even handed. That's why it rules to my ears.

I have a pair that I never tried to date. Isnt it just a double 45 tube?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Al

I am eagerly awaiting the results of your tube rolling as I am interested in the Pacific in my system

Can you or anyone reading this comment on the selection of the following tubes.....does anyone use them with their Pacific

the KR 5U4G Ricardo Kron Special Edition Rectifier with the KR Ricardo Kron Special Edition 300B music tubes.

Steve, these come standard with then Pac. Personally, I would go for the 242 output tubes in place of the 300b.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Steve, that's the best rectifier along with the Takatsuki, different flavors.

By far. But it often didn't

Wait for part 3...the Pac turns certain rules upside down. LoL

I wont preempt Part 3, but I did get a glimpse of the notes while there. LoL

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I can believe it:)

My PX4s will come back soon, someone else has them at the mo. Be interesting to see how they perform as I have had the output dropped a bit, so they should be better with my preamp.

The Cunningham and VT52 were your ideas originally, Justin! So I guess the blame goes to you, partially. LoL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing