Lampi pacific in the House

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have a pair that I never tried to date. Isnt it just a double 45 tube?

Some info here.

See the Interstage Tranny post. What's interesting is he rates 6A3 (doesn't mention the maker) above it, which I initially did. However, I changed my mind over time.

All bets are off if your VT-52 isn't exactly the same as the ones I have posted i.e. NOT Sylvania and NOT with the same internal construction (well, the later is the most important aspect, obviously:)).

There are higher voltage WE VT-52s on ebay at the moment for lotsa money.

It's well made and low microphony, much less than a KR PX4, say (dig). However, I am expecting the KR 300B RK to be low microphony, since it felt much better made than the PX4 in the hand.

Unfortunately, www.vt52.com is down.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The Cunningham and VT52 were your ideas originally, Justin! So I guess the blame goes to you, partially. LoL

Blame? For what? I am innocent!

The Cunningham CX-345 is just a cool valve, running a 100 year old triode just gives me kicks. It had to be explored. OK it's not the best, but hey, it isn't bad. Look into the history of Cunningham versus RCA. It's interesting.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I can say brand does not matter very much. Most times it does not at all
Most All Nos is better than new except for a few
One being the gang of tak tubes
Also a cheap CHINESE one I’ll be posting on the pacific thread soon

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I can say brand does not matter very much. Most times it does not at all
Most All Nos is better than new except for a few
One being the gang of tak tubes
Also a cheap CHINESE one I’ll be posting on the pacific thread soon

If you had to choose a Lampi triode to live with until the end of your days, to the exclusion of all others, what would it be? And recti?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Don't kill him that fast

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Steve, these come standard with then Pac. Personally, I would go for the 242 output tubes in place of the 300b.

personally; thinking about Steve's system and the ML3 amps, and making sure he has plenty of 'skoot', I would guess the 242's would end up being the best match. higher gain=lower noise. also; the more 'tubey' tubes might be too much of a good thing. also the Tak recti likely the best match too. more linear and a better mate for the ML3's.

this.......as a former GG owner that went through the upgrade to the 242's and what that did. hearing the Pacific at RMAF I would expect Steve to enjoy it in his system.

I know this is a bunch of SWAG'ing, but that is what we do here.

look forward to Steve getting a Pacific for his wonderful system.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If I were to answe you it would not be fair to you.
I have the first part of tube rolling comming this week
It will detail how I arrive at my conclusions for the some 30 output tubes each using 10 recti I’m combo
While I will have direct pics of combos it’s far better to know why and what they sound like

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
personally; thinking about Steve's system and the ML3 amps, and making sure he has plenty of 'skoot', I would guess the 242's would end up being the best match. higher gain=lower noise. also; the more 'tubey' tubes might be too much of a good thing. also the Tak recti likely the best match too. more linear and a better mate for the ML3's.

this.......as a former GG owner that went through the upgrade to the 242's and what that did. hearing the Pacific at RMAF I would expect Steve to enjoy it in his system.

One must read my tube rolling and then STEVE chooses or one may be wrong in picking for him.
I’ll get to this when it’s posted

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One must read my tube rolling and then STEVE chooses or one may be wrong in picking for him.
I’ll get to this when it’s posted

Yes - Steve should try a min of three sets including 242s, if not 4. Need not be done on day 1. It is possible the 242 does not sound right. This is easily audible. In Al's Big 7 system the 242 did not do anything. IIRC he then went and checked on his other big 7 and it worked magic.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If I were to answe you it would not be fair to you.
I have the first part of tube rolling comming this week
It will detail how I arrive at my conclusions for the some 30 output tubes each using 10 recti I’m combo
While I will have direct pics of combos it’s far better to know why and what they sound like

Why so? I don't mind what you think too much. I mind what I think. But curiosity killed the cat and it is always good to know what others think.

If the RKs are low on your list, so be it.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Guys please don’t offense to my stating don’t pick for him.
It’s just that to make any setup perfect and achieve all of this dacs passive sound signature. The right tube is needed and yes it’s down to 4 or so pairs, its still Steve’s pic but of course we all will help him in making the heavens open up into each track he plays.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Blame? For what? I am innocent!

The Cunningham CX-345 is just a cool valve, running a 100 year old triode just gives me kicks. It had to be explored. OK it's not the best, but hey, it isn't bad. Look into the history of Cunningham versus RCA. It's interesting.

Blame for Al getting so many tubes. LoL

I agree about Cunningham and RCA ux245 as well. Very cool.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Pac and GG are very different animals in terms of reactions to tube choices. Even the new GG2 apparently is different to GG1 with tube choices.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The new krons and the past ones are all very good tubes , my reason for not saying outright what tubes is simple . And let me say a quick story . One of my personally least favorite tube , not worst is the 101 d . And I have two pairs of them . Yet I know two people who liked them . Heck at one time Lampi shipped them with the dacs. It's not me to say what anyone should like . But in my tube rolling I think I have given enough info to guide anyone. Now of course I will suggest and happily help anyone . Including Steve.
In the past I was led and in part in a new friend I am doing thus again . But not in digital , in Amos and preamps.
I hope my true thoughts are coming across .

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today was "the day" to try out the new Pacific in my set up.
The golden Version is for me (in my eyes) a little bit too much, so I appreciated, that Lampizator is offering the Pacific now on black as well.

To make a first impression comparison possible, I used the tubes from my Lampizator GG2
(Kron anny Recti and Fullmusic 300b/se tubes)

My first GG was very much on the warm side, my GG2 is more on the transparent side.

First impression of Pacific (out of the box) was immediately positive, very structured and full of energy. Having expected a long burn in time, before I can listen to music in an enjoyable way, I am a little surprised, as the Pacific is very good from the beginning.

I have the RK edition tubes waiting, but at first I enjoy, what I am listening right know!

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7728.jpg

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Today was "the day" to try out the new Pacific in my set up.
The golden Version is for me (in my eyes) a little bit too much, so I appreciated, that Lampizator is offering the Pacific now on black as well.

To make a first impression comparison possible, I used the tubes from my Lampizator GG2
(Kron anny Recti and Fullmusic 300b/se tubes)

My first GG was very much on the warm side, my GG2 is more on the transparent side.

First impression of Pacific (out of the box) was immediately positive, very structured and full of energy. Having expected a long burn in time, before I can listen to music in an enjoyable way, I am a little surprised, as the Pacific is very good from the beginning.

I have the RK edition tubes waiting, but at first I enjoy, what I am listening right know!

View attachment 43089

View attachment 43090
Congratulations Shakti!

I will have my Pacific also in black next Tuesday and will also use for audition the tubes from my B7 ie KR 5u4g ( not RK ) and RK 300B bought 3 month ago so basicaly fully burned in.
My B7 has Duelund Cast Pio caps and the sound is rather on the darker side, I have nothing against transprarency , to the contrary.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
For those using the KR 5u4g, I found the RK anniversary edition a decent improvement over the standard tube in my GG2.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
For those using the KR 5u4g, I found the RK anniversary edition a decent improvement over the standard tube in my GG2.
If will keep Pacific, RK 5u4g will be my next deal:)
But pls be aware that the pins of the standard 5u4g are rhodium coated and RK edition - with gold.
Of course the glass of the RK edition is thicker so less resonant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing