I bought my dream speakers...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I read so many reviews criticizing Wilson speakers for being too clinical, bright, etc but every time i've heard them i've been floored by the sound and at axpona this year they were really enjoyable to listen to, in fact sunday they had to turn the equipment off to get me to leave, I guess they wanted to go home. Congrats and enjoy! they look like there built to last a lifetime.

New Wilsons are not bright at all. That all changed with the tweeter upgrades.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I moved the Alexias another 8 inches apart and tightened up the geometry from the back and side walls tonight. The soundstage opened up even more. I threw on a Ludwig pressing of DeGuello and was blown away.

I'm really having fun. One of my better investments!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats, Lee!
We have ours spread *very* wide apart, and it's amazing how they're still able to maintain a very stable, clear center image. Midbass and bass performance are a notch above as well!
Experimentation in positioning is usually rewarded with improvements, sometimes subtle, but improvements nonetheless!

cheers,
alex

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congrats, Lee!
We have ours spread *very* wide apart, and it's amazing how they're still able to maintain a very stable, clear center image. Midbass and bass performance are a notch above as well!
Experimentation in positioning is usually rewarded with improvements, sometimes subtle, but improvements nonetheless!

cheers,
alex

Thanks Alex. The refined placement made a big difference. Very sensitive to even the smallest of movement is what I am finding.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..the Alexas are one of the best looking speakers out there and with the tweeter improvement they certainly are world class IMO. The original version (mk I?) was much to bright and evoked listener fatigue in short order...kudos on the new tweeters Wilson..

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
..the Alexas are one of the best looking speakers out there and with the tweeter improvement they certainly are world class IMO. The original version (mk I?) was much to bright and evoked listener fatigue in short order...kudos on the new tweeters Wilson..

IMHO, all the new WAMM-derived drivers are superb.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
es347,

The original Alexia used the new silk dome tweeter.

cheers,
alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have owned the original Alexia for a few months and it was not bright at all - it was really a well balanced speaker, using the soft tweeter - I remember that in the Stereophile review JA referred to changing the tweeter resistors to increase treble in absorbing rooms. Perhaps you are confusing it with the Sasha I , that used a titanium tweeter.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I moved the Alexias another 8 inches apart and tightened up the geometry from the back and side walls tonight. The soundstage opened up even more. I threw on a Ludwig pressing of DeGuello and was blown away.

I'm really having fun. One of my better investments!

Did a Wilson or dealer set-up come with? The Wilson folks really know how to dial them in.
Fantastic speaker, congrats!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Did a Wilson or dealer set-up come with? The Wilson folks really know how to dial them in.
Fantastic speaker, congrats!

Peter McGrath is soon to visit for the setup. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing