I bought my dream speakers...

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Well I have some good news to share...after a very exhaustive search with tons of auditions, I bought a pair of Wilson Alexia 2s in topaz. They should ship out to my house today. I'm pretty excited. I'm stepping up from Magnepan 1.7s so bass should really improve. :)

They were pricey so it took a while to save up for them but I believe they will be a great long-term investment for me.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats .
Sorry i havent heard that particular model , but i like the Wilson house sound and builtquality.
Do you think you gonna miss your ribbontop end or is the soft dome used in the wilson comparible?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great move. The Alexia II's are a significant step from the old Alexia, that I have owned with great pleasure. A good audiophile friend recently exchanged from Alexia I to II after listening for the difference side by side. I am always impressed with the spatial "density of energy" of the Alexia family.

IMHO you picked a top color - topaz is an exquisite color for a speaker, does not call for attention when listening and blends perfectly with the black front of the speaker.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Well I have some good news to share...after a very exhaustive search with tons of auditions, I bought a pair of Wilson Alexia 2s in topaz. They should ship out to my house today. I'm pretty excited. I'm stepping up from Magnepan 1.7s so bass should really improve. :)

They were pricey so it took a while to save up for them but I believe they will be a great long-term investment for me.
Congrats Lee.
Enjoy them they sound great with ARC as well.
Nice seeing you at the AX
E

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congrats .
Sorry i havent heard that particular model , but i like the Wilson house sound and builtquality.
Do you think you gonna miss your ribbontop end or is the soft dome used in the wilson comparible?

The Alexia is one of the sweet spots of the line ime. I think there is a bit more resolution actually on the silk domes and overall. I am keeping the 1.7s anyway but I think this will be a nice step up.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Great move. The Alexia II's are a significant step from the old Alexia, that I have owned with great pleasure. A good audiophile friend recently exchanged from Alexia I to II after listening for the difference side by side. I am always impressed with the spatial "density of energy" of the Alexia family.

IMHO you picked a top color - topaz is an exquisite color for a speaker, does not call for attention when listening and blends perfectly with the black front of the speaker.

Thank you. Topaz was a top color choice for me.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Congratulations Lee. I think the Alexia II are the sweet spot in the lineup that offers the most performance and design while not getting into the massive towers. Enjoy!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hello Lee,

My sincere congratulations. Undoubtedly it is going to be a great match with your Audio Research equipment. Enjoy!

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Congratulations Lee! You must be SO excited! I know I would be!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Alexia is one of the sweet spots of the line ime. I think there is a bit more resolution actually on the silk domes and overall. I am keeping the 1.7s anyway but I think this will be a nice step up.

A huge congratulations from me Lee. i don't think its one of the sweet spots of the line. It IS the sweet spot in the Wilson line, especially for a full range performer. In some ways I prefer it over my Alexandrias. This is particularly true for optimizing them for listening pleasure. The Alexandrias are a D'Appolito configuration and although Wilson does an excellent job of providing precise instructions for module settings as a function of ear height and distance, these settings are so critical than if you are sitting 1 inch lower or higher than recommended, the imaging is just not right. It's no wonder that some folks hear them at shows and think they are magical, while others think they unimpressive at best. They can often sound bright with poor height rendition (i.e. imaging high), especially if you are sitting lower than the ideal position for the module alignment. Not so the Alexias. They are far more forgiving, and therefore more enjoyable across a broader range of listener heights. They are, simply put, a damn good loudspeaker. And you've got the goods to make them sing. Also love the elegance of the Topaz as I'm not into carnival colors.
Marty

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A huge congratulations from me Lee. i don't think its one of the sweet spots of the line. It IS the sweet spot in the Wilson line, especially for a full range performer. In some ways I prefer it over my Alexandrias. This is particularly true for optimizing them for listening pleasure. The Alexandrias are a D'Appolito configuration and although Wilson does an excellent job of providing precise instructions for module settings as a function of ear height and distance, these settings are so critical than if you are sitting 1 inch lower or higher than recommended, the imaging is just not right. (...)

You will notice a large improvement in this aspect in the XLF. My alternative speaker is the SoundLab A1 Px, that is much less focused (and a lot of other things less...) than the XLF. When I owned the X2 I had the problem you refer - I could not move freely in the room. However, in the many demo sessions with the XLF I noticed that the sweet spot was much larger, that as long as the listening distance was over 10 feet I could have very good sound in a large area without felling the discomfort of abrupt changes in sound quality.

I have found that in my room, at 12 feet from tweeters the minimum listening height for XLF's is 40" - very low chairs can not be used. Fortunately the Ekornes Reno with the extra ring brings my ears to that height.

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

Congrats buddy. That is a huge step up. Probably the best price to performance speaker Wilson makes. Enjoy.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
If you decide to cut the 1.7's loose let me know.
Congratulations on the upgrade!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations Lee! I am certain they will bring you many years of listening pleasure! :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Lee! I am very excited for you! :D

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The dispersion pattern of the textile / silk Dome can be quite different, so the Listener Sweet spot could be larger in these later models

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing