Ml. 32

old school

Feb 24, 2016
I have one. It replaced a 38s. Their is no comparison between those too. I think it sounds amazing! It is also the best looking pre-amp, I have ever used. I love mine, and will never part with it!!

My system:

B&W 800 Diamonds
ML no 336
ML no 32
ML no360s
ML no 37
Transparent super cables/interconnects

old school

Feb 24, 2016
I have never listened to a number 40 so I could not tell you. I know when they made the number 32, it was a cost no object approach......

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I heard the ml 32 and its indeed still an incredible good pre imo
I heard it on magico q 5 which sounded nice on TAD monos finally some good control
I m tempted to buy the 40 which includes a great dac as a second system .
I heard wp 7 s as well , i can also say my speakers are really good fortunately .

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I heard the ml 32 and its indeed still an incredible good pre imo
I heard it on magico q 5 which sounded nice on TAD monos finally some good control
I m tempted to buy the 40 which includes a great dac as a second system .
I heard wp 7 s as well , i can also say my speakers are really good fortunately .
Wasn’t there some controversy about the 40 being a Lexicon in pretty clothes ?:rolleyes:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Wasn’t there some controversy about the 40 being a Lexicon in pretty clothes ?:rolleyes:
I don't think so. My son-in-law had one (at my recommendation) and it's Levinson. It is possible that my comment about the planned successor to the 40 may have grown legs (and a beard). When I was shown the prototype motherboard for the new prepro, the pcb copper had the Lexicon name etched in it. I thought that strange and reported it. AFAIK, that product never appeared.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I don't think so. My son-in-law had one (at my recommendation) and it's Levinson. It is possible that my comment about the planned successor to the 40 may have grown legs (and a beard). When I was shown the prototype motherboard for the new prepro, the pcb copper had the Lexicon name etched in it. I thought that strange and reported it. AFAIK, that product never appeared.
That might be it, i did not remember the details :rolleyes:

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
I had an ML380S and I replaced it with an ML32R!
There's no comparison, it was the best transitorized preamp I've ever heard, not to mention the many setup facilities it offers!
Today my set is different, but the ML32R and ML33R left good memories!

Attachments

• FB.jpg
    FB.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: asiufy

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice set up nascimento.
I heard the Ml 33h this week for the first time actually .
They go still for quite high prices your previous 33 even more so .
Where does the R stand for?
ML 32R? 33 R ?

I think the pre s are the star .
The poweramps are a bit slow .
However the "stop time character " is kinda nice .

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
Hello Andromeda!

The letter R refers to "Reference"
The ML32 was the first "reference" preamp manufactured by Mark Levinson!
Rgs

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
One thing i read about the levinson no 40 is that it doesnt have a analog bypass .
Somewhere i read the pre and dac section were derived of the 32 and 30.6 .
But the thing is there is no analog bypass , all analogue signals are digitized , sounds a bit stupid to me not having added that feature .
If they would have added that feature, you could have plugged in a turntable or tape deck.
With this expensive design they only targeted digital 2 /multichannel / homecinema .

Sounds like i need to buy a 326s or 32 afterall plus probably a seperate levinson dac to use with the meittner

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Kal i bought a revised ML 360 S
I think you reviewed the 360 back then ,when it first came out .

Reason i didnt go for the 40 is , as i mentioned it has analogue inputs but they go through an AD DA converter .
I cant feed my tape deck straight in the pre amp section , not so clever of ML i think , it might have been more succesfull if they had included this feature.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Had the ML 33s and the 33h at the same time in my music room
Tried the 32, as great as it was I couldn't stretch that last bit of coin at the time. The 33 and the 32 was a spare no expense design.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
in 1999-2001 i owned the Mark Levinson No. 32 preamp + No.33 mono blocks with Wilson WP 6.0's. it was a fine sounding combo then, and would be entirely satisfying right now. and those electronics (with the Linn CD-12 i owned then too) might be the most beautiful gear i've ever owned. such were my priorities then.

it was a feast for the eyes.

i could be very happy right now living with this. people own gear for many reasons, and there is not an invalid reason.

OTOH the No. 32 was just a good but not great sounding preamp. it was easily bettered at that time by the Tenor Audio integrated passive preamp in the Tenor 75 watt OTL mono amps. then later by the Placette Audio RVC with a passive switch-box. in 2005 when i got the first version of the darTZeel NHB-18NS that would be a level of magnitude higher than the No.32, here was an active preamp that truly disappeared.......and that dart pre has improved over the years and today's version of the dart pre would totally humble the No.32. to be fair; the current dart pre humbles most current preamps too.....to some degree.

this is not to criticize the 20 year + old design No.32; only that you heard 'through' it; it did not disappear sonically. laid a 'dull-grey' film over everything when you compared it to a really transparent circuit. back then that might offer a bit of relief from bad digital.....so could be viewed as a positive depending. not really paid attention to current model ML preamps, so have no opinion on how the No.32 would stack up. preamp circuits have moved on and improved. yet again i want to say i enjoyed the No.32 and loved using it. but it's over 20 years old and in this case sounds like it in not a good way. it's strength was it's considerable elegant look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I also owned a No.32 during the 2000s.
Well built but I agree with Moke that it gave dull-grey haze to the music.
Mine was an used one, an early model and it became even darker in character after a few years of use, proba ly due to the aging electrolytic capacitors.
I eventually replaced it with an ARC 40th Anniv Preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing