I found a Diamond in the mud, any similar Experience?

tkcha

Apr 11, 2018
So yesterday I went my regular second hand vinyl store and I got few of Audiophile pressing.
Couple of early MFSL pressing, Billy Joel, The stranger :CBS Half Speed Mastered Master Sound,
And WOW !! Ray Brown,John Clayton : Super Bass 1992. Capri Record . Limited Edition # 1045 , mint condition. All for 45$.
Super Base alone should be at least 250 to 300$. Others I dont care but again What a day !:D
20180421_184756_resized.jpg 20180421_184814_resized.jpg 20180421_184857_resized.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good work!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Good score! The internet and ebay have made finding these more difficult. The best scores I've made (as a vinyl digger) has been in used record stores, whose owners were not particularly internet savvy. Since I only collect classical, I'm sure I have passed up many rare and valuable jazz, rock, etc. My biggest score was about 18 years ago in a Boston classical shop, where I bought a very nice used copy of EMI ASD493 Bruckner Symphony 9 in the original white/gold label. I paid $15 for it. A friend of mine bought a copy last year for $1800, and there is one for sale right now on discogs for $2300. You can buy a reissue that was done about 15 years ago but now out of print for $100 or so, or an Odeon label sold in the US for $400 or so.

Larry

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Good score! The internet and ebay have made finding these more difficult. The best scores I've made (as a vinyl digger) has been in used record stores, whose owners were not particularly internet savvy. Since I only collect classical, I'm sure I have passed up many rare and valuable jazz, rock, etc. My biggest score was about 18 years ago in a Boston classical shop, where I bought a very nice used copy of EMI ASD493 Bruckner Symphony 9 in the original white/gold label. I paid $15 for it. A friend of mine bought a copy last year for $1800, and there is one for sale right now on discogs for $2300. You can buy a reissue that was done about 15 years ago but now out of print for $100 or so, or an Odeon label sold in the US for $400 or so.

Larry

Larry yes Internet has ruined the big score

I agree , I go to out of town old vinyl shops, they often aren't interested in the classical, only the pop and rock

So u can get some gems

Analogue productions, and Decca SXLs I mainly with occasional living stereos

Not many Columbia in Australia

Nor many original label DG

tkcha

Apr 11, 2018
Hey astrotoy, awsmone happy for you and me vinyl hunting is always fun. Too bad discogs and ebay Yes hate them. lucky day

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
When I was suffering the slings and arrows of digititis years ago, and decided to try vinyl again for shits and giggles, I went to a local Goodwill and bought an old Dual turntable with cartridge and three records for a total of $20. the records were a blistered Quicksilver "Happy Trails" with marijuana seed melted into the clear spot around the label, a Bonnie Raitt, and a G to VG copy of Riverside "Waltz with Debbie". It was a while before I realized the "Waltz with Debbie" iconic status. The waltz is the only record vinyl I have that sounds better than the re-issue R to R versions I have heard. Except for this one, R to R versions are invariably much better.

I still have the cartridge from the turntable in a drawer. I have many "finds", but i was lucky to get on the bandwagon early when thrift shopping for vinyl was still amazing, blue notes etc. and I managed to acquire my cache of 2000+ records. Those days seem to be gone forever, and I now seldom even look at the vinyl piles in the thrifts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing