Radio Frequency Interference

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think my phono pre is picking up RFI from my Ethernet switch and access point in my listening room. Other than trying to locate it as far as possible from the pre amp is there anything else I can do? Are there Ethernet switches that are less prone to leakage?

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
First I would try to isolate whether it's your ethernet switch or the AP (access point). Selectively turn one off then the other and see if one of them is the primary culprit or if both are contributing.

Also a lot of ethernet radiation can come from the cables (i.e. they make good antennas) - you could try using shielding ethernet cabling or just moving them around to see if things get better or worse.

You can also try putting a ferrite around the power cord to the switch or AP as the power cords can also radiate.

These are some easy things to try - I can suggest other experiments depending on what you find after taking these steps.

Cheers, Joe

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks Joe.

I am going to play with this tomorrow. I will take some of your suggestions into the process. I am going to start by moving the switch away from its current location. And I should get some shielded cables.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What does RFI sound like in your system ?

Intermittent bursts of air. That’s the best way to describe it. I need to experiment to make sure that’s what it really is.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have many phono cables. My RFI problem comes when I position my phono cables in a wrong place.

King regards,
Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have many phono cables. My RFI problem comes when I position my phono cables in a wrong place.

King regards,
Tang

Tanh, what do you mean by in the wrong place? Near other wires or power cords?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tanh, what do you mean by in the wrong place? Near other wires or power cords?

Not the power cables. I have a big glass window. The RFI comes from the public radio station nearby. Placing a my phono cable a foot to the right can capture RFI. One of my phono cable I even have to scotch taped to the left leg of my rack to get a complete absent of rfi. It is annoying I understand. I had to play around quite a bit. If you look at the latest pic of my syste, you will see that I have moved my EMT to the right and move AF1 in the middle. This position somehow gives me no RFI. In the back of my system you will see a big glass window.

E5C7B8EE-8644-44D5-9715-590603C40EF0.jpg

Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I see. You have a lot of great looking and sounding equipment!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Amateur radio people call the search for RFI or illegal transmitting stations "fox-hunting."

An AM radio with a telescoping antenna tuned in between radio stations can be used to find RFI sources.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . I have a big glass window. The RFI comes from the public radio station nearby. . . . In the back of my system you will see a big glass window.
. . .

Tang

Maybe the big glass window can be removed and replaced with a big slab of aluminum. The aluminum can be grounded to an earth ground. This should block RF from entering your room through that window.

A less family-friendly solution would be to wallpaper every millimeter of the inside walls, floor and ceiling of the room in which your audio system is located with thick aluminum foil. This would create a Faraday cage and should inoculate the entire room from RFI.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Maybe the big glass window can be removed and replaced with a big slab of aluminum. The aluminum can be grounded to an earth ground. This should block RF from entering your room through that window.

A less family-friendly solution would be to wallpaper every millimeter of the inside walls, floor and ceiling of the room in which your audio system is located with thick aluminum foil. This would create a Faraday cage and should inoculate the entire room from RFI.

Ms Tinka must be so kind, understanding, and super supportive of you Ron. Don’t ever let her down.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hahahaha! :eek:

Yes, she is!

No, I won’t.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
FWIW, there are much beeter solutions than thick aluminium foils. Check this: http://www.aaronia.com/products/shielding-screening/

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

Thats my plan someday... I woulnd't use aluminum, but Mu-Metal's. Behind the acoustic treatments. Or even a double brick wall with a big metal plate in between.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I really hadn’t thought about the notion that the RFI could be coming from outside my house. There are no towers nearby but I guess my neighbor could have something causing this. I do remember a couple years ago that my Technics RS-1500 RTR would pick up a radio signal. It was bizarre.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You would have to have a power generator inside the Faraday cage - otherwise you risk the mains wires will be introducing RF in your precious room!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
You would have to have a power generator inside the Faraday cage - otherwise you risk the mains wires will be introducing RF in your precious room!

Shielded mains wires ? Amps outside the room ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing