Recommendations For Exercise equipment For The House

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
FWIW I have belonged to a local health and fitness club which is definitely SOTA facility with countless exercise machines to use. Recently we did some home remodeling and converted an extra bedroom into an exercise room. I do have some Precor machines in the house which we have had for years and am now looking to update. I know the room is certainly big enough to hold 2 and possibly 3 machines. We have been considering a bike and an elliptical and if there is room also a treadmill. I have found that buying these machines over the years it is best to go with a pro version as I think that not only do they last longer but also you get a better workout.

I am looking to see what members are using in their homes, what you like and what you would recommend as "What's Best"

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I currently have a Life Fitness commercial treadmill model 95Ti. I've used many models and this one is the finest so far. It's capable of 12 mph and inclines of 0-15%. It has several built-in programs, and can be custom-programmed for desired workouts. It has a built-in heart rate monitor function, and can adjust the pace/incline to maintain the desired heart rate.

Here's the family of their treadmills, complete with TV and iPod connectivity:

http://nz.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/treadmillfamily

My second machine is the Concept 2 rower. This is the gold standard in international rowing competitions. Competitors in elite rowing have been shown to possess the largest, strongest hearts of all athletes. This machine is extremely smooth and can provide a workout ranging from a gentle pump to a near-death experience.

http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/

I can personally vouch for the quality of both these devices.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I use the Life Fitness at our club and this was the one at the top of our treadmill list. Not sure if I have the stamina for a rower.

Lee what is MSRP of the 95Ti

MSRP is about $7K. Here's an example of discounts available:

http://www.fitnessblowout.com/equipment/treadmill/lifefitness-95ti

One of the guys in my training group owns the local weightlifting store. He got my treadmill for me for about 1/2 retail, same as above deal. There are newer versions of the 95 treadmill out now, with the electronic enhancements I mentioned. They truly are the best.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The rower can be used at any pace. The resistance is adjustable to simulate a very efficient slim rowing skull or rowing a clunky rowboat. Resistance is provided by a "fan" arrangement with a variable shutter to change airflow. Overall, it's pretty quiet unless you're cranking hard.

The rower is excellent for those not in prime shape because you are not carrying your bodyweight at all times. You're sitting down. The movement is so symmetrical and smooth, injury potential is among the lowest of any cardio machine I've encountered.

I'm not a big fan of elliptical trainers. They force you into a certain pattern of "shuffling" that may or may not be consistent with your natural gait. As humans walk or run faster, their stride length increases. Elliptical machines keep stride length constant, so there is really only one speed that will feel correct to you at your given leg length.

Lee

Steve Williams

I agree about the elliptical as our club also has Life Fitness machines and I always choose the same workout

Our club must have 100 machines of which only 2 are rowers and are the same make as you recommended. I enjoyed your explanation re not carrying your body weight at all times. That makes sense and cost wise they seem inexpensive. i will rethink my position on the rower

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
As long as you can attain a comfortable seated position on the rower, you can vary the intensity of the workout to suit your desired exertion level. Truly, you can just cruise quite easily or you can launch yourself into anaerobic coma. The rower provides a "whole body" workout, with most of the thrust provided by your posterior chain of muscles. The posterior chain, comprised of hamstrings, gluteal group, and lower back, is responsible for the majority of power production in virtually all athletic endeavors. It also contributes to stability of the spine and resultant improvement in balance.

Why don't you try the rower out at the health club and see what you think? If you don't like the rower, I can help you devise alternatives to develop the same strengths via different methods.

One of the most relevant concerns as we age is the possibility of slip/fall injuries. As you know, the fall/broken hip event is responsible for premature senescence and disability in us older folks. For many, the broken hip leads to early death, with 5 year survival rates bearing this out. One major reason for broken hips is the inability to "catch oneself" after tripping/slipping by throwing a foot out to act as a "post". Lack of sufficient leg strength (due to inactivity) leads to insufficient plyometric capacity (springiness), meaning that one cannot produce enough power to stop the fall, even when the leg is put into proper position to catch you. Poor spinal stability and "core strength" deteriorate one's balance and slow the reaction that could keep you from falling, so you can't get your foot out there to catch you in the first place.

I'm perseverating about this aspect of fitness because many of us have no desire to be "athletes". Since my personal fitness requirements are quite high (fighting full-contact with 20+ year old combatives guys), I don't want to come off as a maniac who wants everyone to sacrifice precious time to achieve levels of fitness beyond their needs. In the OR, I see daily the results of inactive lifestyles and poor self-maintenance. A simple, intelligent plan can enhance quality of life with minimal time expenditure. It truly depends upon proper choice of activity to fit one's lifestyle.

I'll be happy to address any fitness issues and help in any way I can.

Lee

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I have a Precor pro model treadmill and it's great. Low on whistles and bells, but the platform and motor are top notch. My favorite non-treadmill/bike cardio machine is the Cybex Arc Trainer -- just by dint of the path of its pedal motion, you have to do the most work, though you can dial in as much boost as you'd like. Like running, it's more hamstring focused vs. quad focused as bikes are. As for anerobic equipment, the TRX fitness trainer is the most efficient device I've ever used, nearly every exercise promotes core stability. Difficulty level is easily self-regulated.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

As long as you can attain a comfortable seated position on the rower, you can vary the intensity of the workout to suit your desired exertion level. Truly, you can just cruise quite easily or you can launch yourself into anaerobic coma. The rower provides a "whole body" workout, with most of the thrust provided by your posterior chain of muscles. The posterior chain, comprised of hamstrings, gluteal group, and lower back, is responsible for the majority of power production in virtually all athletic endeavors. It also contributes to stability of the spine and resultant improvement in balance.

Why don't you try the rower out at the health club and see what you think? If you don't like the rower, I can help you devise alternatives to develop the same strengths via different methods.

One of the most relevant concerns as we age is the possibility of slip/fall injuries. As you know, the fall/broken hip event is responsible for premature senescence and disability in us older folks. For many, the broken hip leads to early death, with 5 year survival rates bearing this out. One major reason for broken hips is the inability to "catch oneself" after tripping/slipping by throwing a foot out to act as a "post". Lack of sufficient leg strength (due to inactivity) leads to insufficient plyometric capacity (springiness), meaning that one cannot produce enough power to stop the fall, even when the leg is put into proper position to catch you. Poor spinal stability and "core strength" deteriorate one's balance and slow the reaction that could keep you from falling, so you can't get your foot out there to catch you in the first place.

I'm perseverating about this aspect of fitness because many of us have no desire to be "athletes". Since my personal fitness requirements are quite high (fighting full-contact with 20+ year old combatives guys), I don't want to come off as a maniac who wants everyone to sacrifice precious time to achieve levels of fitness beyond their needs. In the OR, I see daily the results of inactive lifestyles and poor self-maintenance. A simple, intelligent plan can enhance quality of life with minimal time expenditure. It truly depends upon proper choice of activity to fit one's lifestyle.

Lee

Lee

thanks for the offer

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Lee

Lee - A couple of comments in regard to your post.

1. Rowing is a good though advanced exercise --and not everyone can do it (eg. those with back or flexibility issues). Power production should come from the hips, not the lumbar spine. The lumbar spine is built for stability and weight bearing. The transverse processes prevent vertebral rotation and trying to rotate in the lower back leads to sheer stress on the IVD and SI joint (not good things).

Good core training and I suggest Stuart McGill's Ultimate Back Performance and Fitness or Gray Cook's The Athletic Body in Balance for reference, starts with grooving motor patterns, working endurance, later strength and then one can do more dynamic efforts such as Olympic Weightlifting or power lifting.

2. Many incident of falling esp. in women is due to the bone eg femoral neck breaking first, not the fall braking the bone. There are studies out there that show actually that weakness in the calves actually can contribute to falls. Calves are a postural muscle meant to keep us standing erect.

And as I talk about in my seminars, core training is the most overused and least understood term out there maybe next to functional training. Core actually begins with the nervous system firing and proper shoulder and hip mobility. To wit, the brain is not stupid and when someone wants to move their body, the brain will devise a movement pattern to accomplish the task. So if someone has limited shoulder or hip mobility, such as say in a golfer or tennis player, the brain will sacrifice something to achieve the movement; in this case, the brain will sacrifice core stability (which we'll define as a dynamic 3D structure, with top and bottom, sides, front and back; core stability will also depend upon breathing patterns). Ergo, then the golfer wonders why his/her lower back hurts. They can do as much rehab core as possible--they will continue to suffer from back pain til they fix the real problem. Or as we say, the problem is not at the joint itself, it's at the joints above or below.

Now I'll also argue that rowing is not going to improve strength; it will improve cardiovascular performance. That's because aerobic endurance activity activates the AMPK pathways that shuts down protein synthesis to conserve energy; resistance training (I'm not saying weightlifting since it's a different term unfortunately used interchangably) activates cellular pathways such as mTor (mammalian target of rapamycin) and it activates protein synthesis through integration of different cellular stimuli such as stress, leucine, steroids, HGH and others to be discovered. So if one want's to build leg strength, it's better to do strength training.

In regards to building bone strength, it has been shown that plyometrics can help women's bones (remember that plyos are a subset of explosive training --and it's explosive training that works as a whole). But one can't just jump in and do plyometrics. One needs a significant training base since plyos really stress the connective tissue. And many older people can't do that.

Finally any good cardio conditioning workouts should be periodized just like resistance training. The simplest way is Med-light-hard-light-med-light....to let the body rest and recuperate. Otherwise the body will break down. Then one needs to base the training program around one's HR derived from the Karvonian forumula (or heart rate reserve). By working thru different HRs, one is striving to build up the different proteins that contribute to metabolism of fats, carbs and protein. So everyone should invest in a HR monitor such as that sold by Polar and say set up assuming they are in good condition with no injuries something like light = 60-65%; medium: ~70%; hard: 80-85% (but one can't keep this stress level up for long periods of time so this is usually done with interval type training--that interestingly because of the EPOC effect, actually leads to burning fat after one leave's the gym).

As far as equipment choices go, much will have to do with age, injuries, etc. The bike is good for someone with say back, knee or foot injuries--but walking on the treadmill (at iso-heart rates) will burn more calories than the equivalent time on the bike. The elliptical is like the bike, good esp. for those with injuries. Don't believe the calories burned readout here! It's about 65% of what's listed. The only cardio equipment whose calories burned readouts can be trusted is the treadmill. The treadmill is a good piece to have and multi-functional. One can walk (and retrograde too), run, and ajust inclines. Injuries will come into play here--and a treadmill for instance might not be the best choice for someone with herniated/bulging discs). The rower is good but again back injuries are contraindicated. One must be careful not to round the back and stress the lumbar spine. The rower is also good to focus on building the rhomboids and posture (in this case, endurance is targeting the type 1 fibers, responsible for joint stability and endurance-and responding oppositely of type 2/strength fibers). I like if there's no contraindications, the step mill (escalator) or versa climber. Both are really tough workouts! I don't advise the stairmaster since I really feel it's too impactful for the back, hips and knees-esp for women!

Then there are many variants on ellipticals, etc. Some ellipticals such as Lifefitness is intended to emulate running and as such has a longer stride length than does a precor elliptical. Then there are ellipticals that function more like treadmills.

BTW, if money is no object, the two best treadmills out there are the 10 K or so depending upon options Woodways (great for runners and athletes and one's body) and Nordic Trac (great for athletes too and can be adjusted for -5 to +50 degrees eg. running downhill to hiking a mountain.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Myles,

Interesting post. I agree with much of it, but not all of it.

Re: rowing. I agree completely about back injury as being a relative contraindication. However, lack of strength in the hips/glutes is a major factor in eliciting back injuries. Improper lifting form is a good example. Watching folks squat, they attempt to relieve the load from their legs and hips by raising their rear end prematurely in the motion. This leads to abnormal stress on the lower back, thus injury. Rowing is a smooth, symmetrical method to develop coordination for the posterior chain drive while keeping load bearing light. As for rowing being a cardiovascular exercise, it depends. Running is often considered cardiovascular, but a 400m sprint never gets to the aerobic pathway. Rowing short, intense intervals can be viewed in the same way. Ultimately, each user should be profiled to determine what equipment and level of intensity is appropriate. The rower, being low-impact and non-weight-bearing, can be quite suitable for most folks. The range of motion and cadence can both be adjusted to suit most users.

Standardized HR calculations (i.e. the classic 220 - age) have degrees of variability. Individual parameters can vary by ~20bpm or so from predicted values. Simple observation of a trainee (as I'm sure you've done as a trainer) can expose the accuracy or standard deviations from the HR calcs. The formulas will get you in the ballpark, but fine-tuning is necessary according to the individual.

I think the Woodways treadmill looks fine. Its refinements seem aimed at low maintenance with high-use fitness clubs. I imagine it would function quite well for an individual's home gym. I'm not so sure about the Nordic Track, at least the decline setting. Downhill running produces extremely high impact forces and wouldn't be recommended for a large % of the population in my opinion.

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons states clearly on their website that most broken hips are the result of a fall. Osteoporosis, leading to lowered bone density in the upper femur (and everywhere else, just not pertinent to this injury), causes the femur to fracture upon impact. The lack of strength, which can be associated with lack of weight-bearing exercise to the limb, is how the osteoporosis advanced to the fragile level. Therefore, insufficient strength in the limb is directly related to the likelihood of fracture by virtue of insufficient bone density, which is definitely affected by amount of weight-bearing or load-bearing exercise. I would submit that high-speed rowing produces forces far higher than bodyweight upon the legs, but without any sudden, jarring impact. I maintain my position that rowing isn't a bad choice for someone who is "out-of-shape" but uninjured. If Steve, or anyone else considering any exercise device, has a pre-existing injury, then consultation with their physician is recommended regardless of the device under consideration.

Hope that clears up any ambiguity in my previous post.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Lee,

Good stuff.

Funny thing about LBP: 80% of the population will suffer from it at one time or another in their lifetime yet there are only two things that have been shown to be linked to back injuries. One is posture and the other is leg strength. Back strength has no bearing whatsoever on LBP.

I'm a big believer in addressing neck, hips and feet. They are crucial to our movement and how the body balances its own weight within itself eg. C7, L5 and the feet. And most of my clients have some sort of hip stability or mobility issue--esp. that many are professionals and sit all day long! Sitting is the worst thing possible and tightens up one's hips; combine that with how one sleeps, such as with one hip flexed for another 8 hrs and you find shortening of the hip flexors and reduced hip mobility. Now when it comes to back injuries, yes, it's the glutes that often shut down, along with many other muscle groups depending upon the severity eg. sciatica, stenosis, etc.

As far as squats go, most people are quad squatters (man I watch with amazement those 3" squatter with all those plates and wonder what they think they are doing) and never activate their posterior chain and glutes as you've said (coaches tend to forget all the movement patterns that are controlled by the glute max!). As such, squatting to parallel leads to more stress on the back than knees; going butt to the floor increases the stress to the knees (that are built to deal with those forces) and unloads the spine. As you said, when squatting one wants to keep a neutral tilt on the hips since hip flexion places the pelvis into a posterior tilt; so to keep neutrality one must employ trunk flexion (not rounding) to unload the lumbar spine. As you said, starting with the hips or leaning too much forward puts the back at risk. But in the end it all comes down to being able to properly assess the person's performance and Gray Cook's FMS screen is a quick and dirty way at looking at joint by joint stability vs mobility issue.

You're right about the Karvonian formula (esp when you are looking at +/- 2SD); My friend who's coaches marathon running routinely sees his elite runners HR>220 when running a marathon. BTW, there's a nice piece on assigning HR ranges and its issues at Mike Boyle's Strengthcoach.com. It's the people at the low end of the HR scale that if you use the Karvonian formula that can end up being overtrained eg. they're at 90+% of their max HR. But for the average person, it's somewhere to start esp. most people don't understand that you (civilian or athlete!) can't beat your body up day after day and expect to maintain max. performance levels. This all comes from the great Russian coaches like Matayev, Verhoshansky, Issurin, Roman, Medvedev, etc. If more people read the articles written by the Russian coaches, their athletes/clients would be far better off eg. forget what you read in Muscle and Fiction. Those workout may be great for some steroided out meathead, but they will do nothing to enhance a client's or athlete's performance levels.

And you're right that anyone who hasn't been exercising in a while, is middle aged, has high blood pressure, smokes, etc. should get a physicians clearance before starting any workout program. And I suggest finding a good trainer-don't cheap out - you get what you pay for --and the knowledge that the advance, long term trainers bring to the table isn't in any book. And don't pick a trainer based upon how they look!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

Interesting post. I agree with much of it, but not all of it.

Re: rowing. I agree completely about back injury as being a relative contraindication. However, lack of strength in the hips/glutes is a major factor in eliciting back injuries. Improper lifting form is a good example. Watching folks squat, they attempt to relieve the load from their legs and hips by raising their rear end prematurely in the motion. This leads to abnormal stress on the lower back, thus injury. Rowing is a smooth, symmetrical method to develop coordination for the posterior chain drive while keeping load bearing light. As for rowing being a cardiovascular exercise, it depends. Running is often considered cardiovascular, but a 400m sprint never gets to the aerobic pathway. Rowing short, intense intervals can be viewed in the same way. Ultimately, each user should be profiled to determine what equipment and level of intensity is appropriate. The rower, being low-impact and non-weight-bearing, can be quite suitable for most folks. The range of motion and cadence can both be adjusted to suit most users.

Standardized HR calculations (i.e. the classic 220 - age) have degrees of variability. Individual parameters can vary by ~20bpm or so from predicted values. Simple observation of a trainee (as I'm sure you've done as a trainer) can expose the accuracy or standard deviations from the HR calcs. The formulas will get you in the ballpark, but fine-tuning is necessary according to the individual.

I think the Woodways treadmill looks fine. Its refinements seem aimed at low maintenance with high-use fitness clubs. I imagine it would function quite well for an individual's home gym. I'm not so sure about the Nordic Track, at least the decline setting. Downhill running produces extremely high impact forces and wouldn't be recommended for a large % of the population in my opinion.

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons states clearly on their website that most broken hips are the result of a fall. Osteoporosis, leading to lowered bone density in the upper femur (and everywhere else, just not pertinent to this injury), causes the femur to fracture upon impact. The lack of strength, which can be associated with lack of weight-bearing exercise to the limb, is how the osteoporosis advanced to the fragile level. Therefore, insufficient strength in the limb is directly related to the likelihood of fracture by virtue of insufficient bone density, which is definitely affected by amount of weight-bearing or load-bearing exercise. I would submit that high-speed rowing produces forces far higher than bodyweight upon the legs, but without any sudden, jarring impact. I maintain my position that rowing isn't a bad choice for someone who is "out-of-shape" but uninjured. If Steve, or anyone else considering any exercise device, has a pre-existing injury, then consultation with their physician is recommended regardless of the device under consideration.

Hope that clears up any ambiguity in my previous post.

Lee

Lee

One other thing. You're right about the -5 deg setting but I like to have that option to use with my runners. Same could be said with anything over +15 deg. Even 20 is a struggle for most.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Myles,

It's sort of hard to 'isolate" low back strength, since it is involved in a compound chain of movements and tensions when activated. I believe that it develops concurrently with other movements that place a load upon it. Agreed totally about the "poser" squatters who barely unlock their knees when squatting, but hope the chicks are looking since they have a lot of 45s on the bar. I've been doing box squats to 14" box for a while, sticking around 300# or so. I tend to have problems with kicking flexibility if I concentrate too heavily on power lifts.

Interesting comment about feet! I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and was getting low back/hip pain when deadlifting. Getting a proper orthotic made eliminated the stress on my hip, as I was trying to rotate my femur with my piriformis rather than having my natural arch in my foot position me properly.

I'm a big fan of scaled "CrossFit-Style" circuits for individuals looking to increase work capacity. What's your take on this?

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

It's sort of hard to 'isolate" low back strength, since it is involved in a compound chain of movements and tensions when activated. I've been doing box squats to 14" box for a while, sticking around 300# or so. I tend to have problems with kicking flexibility if I concentrate too heavily on power lifts.

I'm a big fan of scaled "CrossFit-Style" circuits for individuals looking to increase work capacity. What's your take on this?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Point 1: I was referred to those clowns who hold a 45# plate across their chest and doing hypers with rounded backs :(

Box squats are a great exercise and work them into my program! I also like using chains (I can't use bands any more because of my back)--but the best thing I've been recently been using and feel are up there with box squats are squats with weight releasers. If you haven't seen them, Elite Fitness has them (you can also find them on Ebay as I did for less), and they maximize the eccentric load. It a piece of metal with a hook that loops around the bar and a metal piece on the other end to accomodate the plates. You load the bar up so that you add 20% or so of your normal lift by adding the plates to the weight releasers; then when you squat, the wt. releasers come off at the bottom of the lift and then one stands up with the normal weight. Of course the idea is to harness all the attributes of the eccentric component--so it's like chains and bands but without their disadvantages.

You really don't want to know my opinion of cross fit. Let's leave it at it creates a lot of business for orthopedists! Ouch....

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Really enjoying this discussion among the professionals. As an amateur who's always kept himself in shape on his own, I've relatively recently seen the light of having a good trainer. Got some chronic neck pain, a host of old injuries mostly basketball related and can see fifty (without binoculars) on the horizon. My wife, who's a fitness nut, finally convinced me to take a session. Have been doing it going on a year now -- my posture has improved and I just feel much better. Workout always starts with activating the glutes -- usually some sideways walking with a band around the ankles (and hands) in different postures -- and then continues from there. Gut always in, back straight, etc. I'm a lot stronger and more stable. My trainer is very anti- crossfit too btw. Found the place he's at via a kettlebell workout -- an exercise method I like too.

One thing it doesn't help with is plantar fascitis, had a bout of it last year for about nine months. Have orthotics, do everything possible to avoid it, but it just crops up every now and then.

Was in LA for some weeks on a job, brought the TRX with me. Done with correct form I find it a fantastic workout and the portability makes it a home run.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
You really don't want to know my opinion of cross fit. Let's leave it at it creates a lot of business for orthopedists! Ouch....

Well, doing high-rep Olympic lifts without a foundation of good form is reckless. I typically format that type of workout using only calesthenic exercises. I find that switching muscle groups before failure allows continued high heart rates and some further workload. Of course, this style of workout should be rotated and combined with traditional strength work and occasional cardio for most folks. Yeah, I've seen some frightening things on the CrossFit videos, but they do have some things with merit.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing