HD Vinyl is a massive improvement over traditional vinyl records.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? https://hdvinyl.org/

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Interesting. I can say from my vinyl mastering past that having a computer analyse the whole plot and optimise for space is cool. How does it sound?

Other than the obvious plus of compatibility with existing turntables, once you have lasers and 3d modeling you may as well reinvent the analog laser disc. That was the the real future!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Erik, I still have 1000 LDs.

And the absolute beast Pioneer HLD-X0 to play them on.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yes there was research into a next generation analog audio laser disc but we all know what won!

Meanwhile, for this hd vinyl, will the transfer be all digital or is a digital copy used to generate the map and some form of analog real-time input used to drive the laser?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't see how this can work given the scales of things. For detail and resolution, theoretically at 60dB of resolution, the stylus has to resolve the groove down to 20 nM. The wavelength of a red laser is 650nM. Even an excimer laser that is in the ultra-violet has a wavelength above 300nM. There is no way that an LP cut with a laser can be "high resolution".

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
According to the patent, they are using laser ablation. You can get features down into the 10s of nM range without having to resort to exotic lasers.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The real problem is whether or not we can get titles that are transfers instead of shitty remasters.

Reactions: marmota

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
According to the patent, they are using laser ablation. You can get features down into the 10s of nM range without having to resort to exotic lasers.

"Laser ablation" just means removal of material using a laser. I haven't managed to find a copy of their patent. The pictures on their website show the gross measurements for LP grooves. The picture is correct - and it measured in micrometers. The smallest dimension of about 10uM is the peak to peak distance of a waveform in the groove. A red laser has a wavelength of 0.65uM, so it can reach the frequency response required to cut music-frequency sound into the grooves.

I am referring to resolution - if you can hear a difference of 1dB between a louder sound and a softer sound, the displacement difference at the stylus is about 10 nM or 0.01 uM - at any frequency. Since the laser is pulsed light, you would have to abate the laser at that resolution.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
"Laser ablation" just means removal of material using a laser. I haven't managed to find a copy of their patent. The pictures on their website show the gross measurements for LP grooves. The picture is correct - and it measured in micrometers. The smallest dimension of about 10uM is the peak to peak distance of a waveform in the groove. A red laser has a wavelength of 0.65uM, so it can reach the frequency response required to cut music-frequency sound into the grooves.

I am referring to resolution - if you can hear a difference of 1dB between a louder sound and a softer sound, the displacement difference at the stylus is about 10 nM or 0.01 uM - at any frequency. Since the laser is pulsed light, you would have to abate the laser at that resolution.

The patent is linked to from their website. (Actually, in the comment from Techspot at the bottom of the page.)

By itself, the beam can't be focussed to the size required. The accuracy required to cut nanometre features is achieved by precisely adjusting the duration of each laser pulse. Positioning the beam to the required accuracy is achievable too, it's done every day for "cutting" blu-ray masters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing