A Great Solid State $5K ~ $7K Amp

john95

Apr 17, 2018
I have now listened twice to demos of the PSAudio BHK Signature 250 stereo power amplifier and I must say I was impressed with the performance, considering its very reasonable price. https://www.psaudio.com/products/bhk-signature-amplifier/

Thanks for your suggestion though, I'll take a look, I totally believe you. Sometimes a setup works perfect for some reason, so many factors involved, so complex, but at end we'll get it right.

john95

Apr 17, 2018
Very nice! Have fun! I think I double replied to it. My phone is a little funky to me still.

Thanks though! No worries, no problem. Another thing tough, I guess we'll have an Audio show here in Orange county in June, I want to go to take a look of lots of good gear.
Anyone here has more details about this audio show en Orange Country, CA? Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Contact Reno Hi Fi. Pass Labs dealer new and used.

john95

Apr 17, 2018
I heard it at a dealer demo with all PS Audio system (pre, DAC and power) and Magico S5 MkII and it was not good at all. Relatively poor resolution, boomy bass (could be the speaker/room but I have heard much better results in this same room with similarly sized speakers) and not a very natural tonality. I was expecting something much better given a tube preamp and a hybrid amp (both of which I have had good experience with in the past, although not this brand of course).

I believe you, some gear audio doesn't work good together. Also depending of what sound quality you are coming from, one can get a bad taste of a particular amp, preamp, speaker, DAC, etc.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks for your kind offer but I live in southern California, not a driving distance; otherwise I'd be there and would bring some carne asada tacos, some pupusas and some horchata for lunch:D

I was in SD for all of April in 2015, at Del Mar. Awesome!!!

I miss the taco trucks too!!!

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I believe you, some gear audio doesn't work good together. Also depending of what sound quality you are coming from, one can get a bad taste of a particular amp, preamp, speaker, DAC, etc.

The amplifier-speaker synergy is the ONLY true synergy in most systems. Unfortunately speakers and amps all have limitations and vary a LOT in price so good matching is critical.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing