Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my friend's Audio Desk broke for the third time 6 months ago, Reiner informed him that you had to think of the Audio Desk like a cartridge, it wears out and has to be refreshed/refurbished every few years. Hilarious explination for a poor design. I have 5 friends that purchased the Audio Desk, all of them had multiple failures and now have KM, VPI or KLAUDIO machines.

The audio community will stop talking about the problems with Audio Desk when the Audio Desk stops having problems.

That is a serious accusation! I expect you can post a copy of the email, or should we just take your word for it? 3 machines failed, assuming a PRO failed too? I had my first Audiodesk pump fail and replaced, was not happy, but I had cleaned 700+ records and it did change my life. The sound quality improvement over the VPI 16.5 was dramatic, I buy original pressings mostly, so all second hand stuff. The convenience and time saved is amazing, especially for my meticulous OCD ass! I firmly believe any new distortions heard after US cleaning, are just dirt being moved off of damaged grooves(from aberrant setups?) or innergrove distortion. The improvement in sound after US cleaning is revolutionary, no evolutionary. Of course I replaced it grudgingly with a Pro, my Pro has anecdotally been amazing for a few hundred records, no more water drops, and dry only cycle is great. I will never do without an all in one ultrasonic machine, if I can afford it. I have no brand loyalty. I just want the best bang for the buck machine. For all those on the fence, THESE MACHINES ARE A REVELATION, get one now. Don't be worried about damaging your records with KLA/AD/Toaster machines, they will only be in there once or twice in your lifetime if you are like most on this forum in how you treat your stylus, platter and handle your vinyl. Unlike after cleaning with the VPI(or record doctor before it), there is no disappointment or the urge to try something different to make it sound better, noise is just not an issue for me anymore. I use a carbon fiber brush and an Onzow only, haven't recleaned much, if any vinyl after the initial AD cleaning. I used to run all records through the longest cycle on the old AD, truth be told I don't push my luck any more with the PRO, just in case. I just can't say I heard a difference so I prefer to minimize wear. I have no affiliations, just didn't want an music fans to miss out because of misplaced fear. Cost is a big issue no doubt, but cheaper machines will improve competition and prices will come down. I think these are a MUST HAVE vinyl accessory.

Jeff

Can we please get past this vitriolic criticism of ADS?

Please.

Yes, I was wary to purchase one based on those early negative reviews, but I’ll take it at face value that unreliability is less of an issue, and I have a friend who’s had no issue with his unit.

The thread is more about Degritter as an alternative to ADS and KLA, not about the other two per se.

Ok, after several weeks beta testing, I’m close on 100 lps US cleaned with the Degritter.

SQ of lps is improved, a greater sense of air and ambient details.

I’ve settled on 5 mins “heavy” clean, and 2 mins 30 dry.

About 25 mins operation for 3 albums a day.

Lps come out absolutely shiny clean, no fingerprints, oily smudges etc.

No droplets undried.

Only on maybe one lp in ten is there any residue on stylus, a second clean sorts this.

The machine continues to not put a foot wrong.

Just come off playing all the late 60s Miles Davis classic quintet albums, all have benefitted from the additional air and delicacy that Degritter US cleaning has provided.

As an upgrade in it’s own right, it’s totally cost effective and worthwhile.

As a method to truly prolong the life of one’s vinyl and especially stylus, it’s invaluable.

Marc

That’s interesting
I use 5 min and 2 for drying first time records with my KLA

Are you putting new records through it or only second hand?

99.99 percent of my records are second hand

Is there any use for “new” records?

Please.

Yes, I was wary to purchase one based on those early negative reviews, but I’ll take it at face value that unreliability is less of an issue, and I have a friend who’s had no issue with his unit.

The thread is more about Degritter as an alternative to ADS and KLA, not about the other two per se.

I must agree with Marc this is about a cheaper and hopefully reliable new addition

It’s unfortunate reliability issues, and this company is to be commended for doing field testing first

Awsmone, they’ve already enacted some final production unit changes as a result of the trial, including a couple of suggestions from me.

95% of my vinyl is s/h, I’m raiding shops in my part of the UK to stock up on classical.

I’ll clean my new vinyl as well.

Please.

Respectfully.......

your opening line of this entire thread called out the competition, it set the tone of the conversation.

Marc

That’s interesting
I use 5 min and 2 for drying first time records with my KLA

Are you putting new records through it or only second hand?

99.99 percent of my records are second hand

Is there any use for “new” records?

Awsmone,
There is a mold releasing compound on all new records that help them slide off from the stamper. It's best to remove this before you play a new record. I find that just the 1 minute cleaning cycle on my KLAUDIO does the trick.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
Jeffrey, I guess you’re kinda right.
I certainly don’t want to harp on too much about it.

I'm very interested in this new machine however. I have many friends that want my machine but just can't stomach what I paid. Do we have any information regarding when and from whom the machine will be available in the USA?

(...) your opening line of this entire thread called out the competition, it set the tone of the conversation.

Unfortunately it often happens in WBF - interesting threads are immediately poisoned in the opening thread.

But once the thread goes another way it is not possible to stop it anymore. Being an happy AutoDesk owner, I feel I should chime on it. IMHO the problems you report are mainly distribution/service problems. The AutoDesk is supposed to need maintenance, particularly if requested for frequent use, and users expect a prompt service, not excuses.

The AutoDesk is almost ten years old, early models had problems that were solved along time, several new parts were incorporated for free when service was needed. The KLAudio is surely more robust and looks better built - but here it costs three times the price of the AutoDesk - considering that I listen mostly to digital I would never spend euro 7000 on a KLAudio.

Ked, I have the Loricraft, and it’s a fine machine, having served me for several years.

But the Degritter is in another league, both effectiveness and critically ease of use.

Would be interested to hear this other person’s comparison.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
Yep, I’m selling the Loricraft.

A fine servant, but it’s had it’s day.

Convenience has prevented me from getting a string type cleaner like the Loricraft. Cost has kept me from getting a KL thus far. And reliability has deterred me from the Audio Desk units. So I'm looking at the Degritter as the best of all worlds, and want one as soon as they're made available on this side of the pond!

Just had word from Taniel.

The IndieGoGo campaign for EarlyBird adopters launches 8th May.

European plus U.S. orders welcome from this date.

I believe there is a “soft” launch a day earlier for potential customers showing serious intent already having contacted Degritter.

So get your enquiries to him.

Email: taniel@degritter.com
for details.

I'm very interested in this new machine however. I have many friends that want my machine but just can't stomach what I paid. Do we have any information regarding when and from whom the machine will be available in the USA?
+1
I too have friend who would like a less pricey alternative to the KLA I own

This is Great info Marc....thinking of getting a third one myself to streamline record cleaning , I must say the KLA has changed record cleaning from a chore, to like putting a pizza in a microwave

I am interested u are going to get rid of your Loricraft which I have heard is an excellent cleaner
I had a VPI for many years, but since the KLA I never use it, but I do recall an earlier thread where people thought u really needed both?
I haven’t found this, but interested have u tried putting thru both wet and US cleaning, I personally found the US made more of a change

Convenience has prevented me from getting a string type cleaner like the Loricraft. Cost has kept me from getting a KL thus far. And reliability has deterred me from the Audio Desk units. So I'm looking at the Degritter as the best of all worlds, and want one as soon as they're made available on this side of the pond!

I wouldn't let the online crap deter you from an Audio Desk. You're welcome to come and see ours, that we've had for 3 years, and has cleaned 1000s of records. And it's not even a Pro.

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing