Studer Heads Versus Flux Magnetics ER Heads

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone compared directly, side-by-side, the sound from two Studer A820s or A80s, one with stock Studer heads and the other with Flux Magnetics ER heads?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Has anyone compared directly, side-by-side, the sound from two Studer A820s or A80s, one with stock Studer heads and the other with Flux Magnetics ER heads?

I asked pretty much the same question to Nick Doshi. He said the Studer Head is excellent if it still work properly there is no need to change. The Flux he said is also excellent. We silly audiophiles tend to want something special. Studio and broadcast people normally scratches his head listening to us.

Tang:D

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
but we still wonder........
I guess the butterfly heads are defending their pos pretty well....
some claim the softer series with shorter lifespan sounds better

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
but we still wonder........
I guess the butterfly heads are defending their pos pretty well....
some claim the softer series with shorter lifespan sounds better

The butterfly (DIN) heads were developed for broadcast so the studios wouldn't have to change out headblocs every time they switched from stereo to mono tapes! This is a non-starter if you want the best stereo playback!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The butterfly (DIN) heads were developed for broadcast so the studios wouldn't have to change out headblocs every time they switched from stereo to mono tapes! This is a non-starter if you want the best stereo playback!

I now have an A80 headblock with butterfly heads just for recording and playing for fun - for playback of the Tapeproject tapes I use the standard heads.

SteadyA810

Feb 6, 2018
Edmonton
Gents,
This is more or less on topic so I hope that you allow the query.
I own a stock A810 with the butterfly heads. If I purchase a "Tape-project" tape or similar will the reproduction of that tape be less than ideal due to type of playback heads on my machine?
Regards,

Pete.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
The tracks on TTP tapes are 2mm in width and the butterfly heads have tracks that are wider than that (2.54mm). This will cause a small unwanted rise in the low-end (bass). A good technician could always adjust the LF play EQ in your deck to get rid of that bass increase.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing